Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

A rotten egg smell comes from sulfur compounds, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas. Can you have both, sure, but I'd be more concerned with H2S with a rotten egg smell than i would be with CO.

Yes but both of those gases are coming from the same source and travel along the same route... So if you have a sulfur smell (from the cats) that means you have an entrance for all of the other gases which undoubtedly includes carbon monoxide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both could also be pulled in from another vehicle through the vents. I've noticed the sulphur smell from a vehicle ahead of me a few times.

Peter

Both could also be pulled in from another vehicle through the vents. I've noticed the sulphur smell from a vehicle ahead of me a few times.

Peter

For myself, I can replicate it as much as I want with a pass at WOT so that's not it. Not to mention AC is on re-circulatory.

For myself, I can replicate it as much as I want with a pass at WOT so that's not it. Not to mention AC is on re-circulatory.
My post was meant to be a generalization of how the smell could be noticed inside the cabin of any vehicle, not just the Explorer.

Even with it on recirc, your vehicle still pulls in outside air.

I think my car is impacted by the exhaust leak. I bought my 2017 Explorer about a year ago and just recently started feeling nauseous, bad headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and I've been coughing up brown mucous which is tied to inhaling air pollution or hazardous gases. I have been driving my 2.5 year old son to daycare the last two weeks and he has had similar symptoms. Strangely enough, his behavior has been inexplicable during the same time period. I'm thinking it's all related because he feels ill.

When I found out about the TSB a few days ago, I started trying to pay more attention to the smell of gas or whether my symptoms were intensified while in the car. This morning when I was driving to my son's daycare, I immediately got a headache. After I dropped him off, I kept the A/C on and the windows up, but I briefly cracked open the sunroof. Once I did that, I could smell the gas and when I took a breath the effects of the gas went straight to my head and I felt high as a kite.

I called Ford this morning when I got to work. They gave me a case number and told me to call the dealership, give them the case number, and see what they can do for me. I told them I was not comfortable driving my car for another 10-12 days before the November 1st program begins. She said I will have to call the dealership to see what my options are. I haven't called the dealership yet but I hope they will provide me with a rental car free of charge. Has anyone else experienced a similar scenario?

Quit driving your kid around in that car, period. Get a rental until you can hash it out with Ford.

Just called the dealership. The guy told me they don't have the parts (a "flapper") in yet to do the repairs and they likely won't until November 1st. I told him that I am not comfortable driving the car from now until then and asked if I could have a rental car in the meantime. He put me on hold for a few minutes and came back to tell me that that wasn't included as part of the program. I said, "so you're saying that I'm pretty much on my own until November 1st?" He said, "That's the information that I'm getting but you're welcome to talk to or leave a message with our service manager." He also told me that they do all of the repairs for the Orange County sheriffs' Explorers and 99% of the time they can't smell gas or anything. I told him that's great but it doesn't mean anything to me. I explained that I am simply telling him about the problem that I am having with my vehicle. What they found with other vehicles is irrelevant to me. I left a message with the service manager explaining the situation and asked for a rental car. I will update once I hear back from him. I imagine it will be more of the same.

Just an FYI. |As shown in the Warranty Guide, Ford does not supply rentals/loaners for warranty work. Any rentals supplied are at the dealer's expense. The exception I believe would be where Ford expressly states a rental/loaner would be supplied for certain repairs. Unfortunately this case it doesn't appear to be one of those.

Peter

Guess what's being done..

20171019_170753.jpg

My dealer, (Airport Ford in Hamilton) did pay for a two day rental when they did the TSB. Turned out to be an Expedition. I would have been happy to have kept it...

Have a CO detector in the bin below the radio. Been in there almost 2 months and no alerts.

Because Ford is not willing to acknowledge the exhaust problem in the Explorer by saying that there is a problem. I am no longer going to buy the redesign of the Explorer. Even if I really like the design. If they don't even stand behind their product and allow for people to inhale exhaust gases, I say they are not worth it.

This is not recent either. Ford has known about it for a long time:
http://www.justiceforall.com/Blog/2015/October/Florida-Judge-Grants-Class-Certification-to-Cert.aspx

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nhtsa-...cabin-of-late-model-ford-explorers-1403276479

Look at the dates. The TSB for exhaust fumes came out in 2012. 2012!!!

For those with an Explorer in Europe, I just contacted Ford Switzerland and asked what the process is over here. They called me back and asked for exact car details (VIN etc) and they will get back to me again.

Edit: So they got back to me and said there's no "recall" in Europe and thus there's nothing they will do on this issue until there is one. She said you can get it fixed "at own cost" at a dealer should you want to but she had no idea of costs as that's not her department so to speak. She was very nice but it's a little frustrating. In any case, she said a Ford dealer that deals in "International" vehicles should be able to do the work or at least be able to answer questions in regards to it. Should someone else in Switzerland wonder, here's one she recommended in the Zurich area: http://www.stdynamics.ch/

If someone in the states gets a cost idea even if it's done for free, I'd be curious to hear what the actual "repair cost" is

After waiting for over a week, I just got a call back from the service manager Theodore Robins Ford in Costa Mesa, CA.

My car is definitely impacted by the exhaust issue and I get a headache the second I turn the car on. In a voicemail I left last week, I had asked the service manager for a loaner car until my November 1st service appointment. I explained that I have a 2.5 year old son and it is not safe to drive him to and from daycare in my 2017 Ford Explorer.

He left me a voicemail telling me that they are not authorized to give out rental/loaner cars for this issue and that I'd have to contact Ford. He then tells me, "In most cases, in fact in ALL cases, it's a very minor odor." He then says, "It's probably coming from the car in front of you." "We have literally done hundreds of these already for the police departments. We've really never had anyone say they've had a bad odor, they just catch a little whiff on hard accel."

Well there you go. That's how they are going to play it. Deny the problem. Minimize the problem. Certainly I'm overreacting. I'm debating what my next steps should be but I can pretty much guarantee whatever they do to "fix" the issue on November 1st will be ineffective. I'm considering taking the car to the dealership and asking their service manager if he wants to take my car for a test drive and then let him experience it first hand.

They will still deny it, no matter what. You will not get them to acknowledge it’s a danger. I hope when this finally does become a forced issue because someone gets hurt they really lose their ass over it.

I talked to the service manager. He is going to test drive my Explorer later this afternoon. I am not going to ride in the car with him because I know it is not safe. I'm sure you're right --- whenever he returns he will tell me that the Explorer is perfectly fine and he's never felt better.

VINs are now tagged in OASIS for this service under 17N03.

Dealers should now have the documentation they need to complete the service. It is billed at .6 hours and no rental cars are authorized (although I suspect many dealers will as a gratuity anyway.)

It shows in my owner.ford.com account now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back