Nitrous 1994 Explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Nitrous 1994 Explorer

About a month ago I got Nitrous on my 1994 Explorer and I've been waiting to try it out at the track. Wednesday was the first Test & Tune night at Bandimere Speedway. Currently spraying 50 HP with NGK TR6 spark plugs. After a couple runs the spark plugs looked great. Probably gonna try a 75 shot sometime soon. I gotta thank user [MENTION=91966]jd4242[/MENTION] for his help on getting the kit installed.

Up here at 5800 feet above sea level, cars run a lot slower. With only a KKM intake and Dynomax muffer my fastest run ever was 19.30 at 70 mph.

Here at the time slips
20160428_115846_001.jpg

Quite a big drop in ET and good MPH gain. This kit was definatly worth it whether it's racing or just messing around on the streets.

Video of me at Bandimere Speedway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8yaVFDRQE

This is the kit i used: http://www.amazon.com/Nitrous-Express-20421-10-Proton-System/dp/B004706C0Q?ie=UTF8&dpID=51Pf-4tbpAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=BVXFR76Y48TZXKX4W7Z1&ref_=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_2&ref_=redir_mobile_desktop#immersive-view_1456289394090

The setup:
10lb Bottle
20160325_111346.jpg

Fuel and Nitrous lines
20160325_111418.jpg

Solenoids
20160325_111437.jpg

Engage Switch Off/On
20160429_171751.jpg

Fire button
20160429_171829.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only problem with anything using the trucks power and being a heater will drain the battery pretty fast if not running. .

Never seen a 12v electric blanket but could work,wouldnt be as concentrated as say a 110v heating pad..both would take a bit of time to heat a bottle,unless left heating constantly. .

For such a small shot i doubt pressure effects it ""drastically"",if you was running a 150-250 shot it would but a 75 doesnt drop pressure ""that much""..dont get me wrong,you want to be in that psi range no matter what but if your on the low side and small shot,i wouldn't stress that much..

Personally id be pretty happy with what you got going on and looking towards more power motorwise or gears..i would've had 4.10s in her LONG ago

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

O also you got a filter put on it yet?? You cant trust fill up stations and with such small jets and solenoids they can get clogged pretty easy,especially with ethanol gas..i like to pull jets and clean them every now and then.ill purge both solenoids then for couple seconds also,without jets and lines zip tied to a bucket or facing ground (key on,motor off and pump primed)

Not fuel. .nitrous filter.

Can't say I've ever heard of a nitrous filter
Lol now you have,get it..definitely helps especially with small jets and these smaller solenoids. .i have it with quick disconnects..in my state its legal to have nitrous but it cant be hooked up..

Lol now you have,get it..definitely helps especially with small jets and these smaller solenoids. .i have it with quick disconnects..in my state its legal to have nitrous but it cant be hooked up..
Interesting. I'll look into getting one. As for engine upgrades i would absolutely love the 422 cam and 95tm heads. Having that extra power always would be sweet. Also the idle the cam makes would never get old

If you drive to the track with the warmer on and leave it on unless your truck sits for more than 30 mins. It will stay warm and hold heat. Honestly if your battery is good you could probably run it a few hours before having to fire up the truck. Most inverters have low voltage protection too that will beep or shut off if it goes below 12v so your truck will always start.

I ran the same setup like 10 years ago in my Mountaineer. Had the bottle on the floor heat until I had the warmer setup. After 10 passes I would be down to 600 psi with no heat but when I had it heated up I could usually get about 20 passes in before it got down to 600 psi. Heating the bottle is key, you'll get into the 15s I feel with just that. Also big props to getting some darn good r/t's. My best ever was a .003 and I've gone down the track probably 100 times

I ran the same setup like 10 years ago in my Mountaineer. Had the bottle on the floor heat until I had the warmer setup. After 10 passes I would be down to 600 psi with no heat but when I had it heated up I could usually get about 20 passes in before it got down to 600 psi. Heating the bottle is key, you'll get into the 15s I feel with just that. Also big props to getting some darn good r/t's. My best ever was a .003 and I've gone down the track probably 100 times
What size shot were you using when you could get 20 passes in a night? I do think that a 15.99 is possible with my current setup. A bottle heater is for sure gonna be something I get this winter.

I only got to do 2 passes at the track the other night, it was packed. The nitrous solenoid was acting up again first ran an 18.5 then starting working again later and ran a 16.27, I'm beginning to wonder if the solenoid is clogged with something.

What size shot were you using when you could get 20 passes in a night? I do think that a 15.99 is possible with my current setup. A bottle heater is for sure gonna be something I get this winter.

I only got to do 2 passes at the track the other night, it was packed. The nitrous solenoid was acting up again first ran an 18.5 then starting working again later and ran a 16.27, I'm beginning to wonder if the solenoid is clogged with something.
He was running a much larger shot and different kit on a 5.0..different kit with smaller shot is gonna give different results. .

Personally ill call Nx and tell them about your issue. .their customer service is very good and wouldn't doubt they would send you new solenoids. .but they are gonna ask if you have a filter and may blame it on your refill station. .

Id get a filter and figure out your issues (which i dont think its related to pressure ) and look towards gears or a cam..

Stumbled across these today. Never heard of the company, could be junk, but the price caught my eye. What do you all think?

https://www.protuninglab.com/90fora91ex4v.html
Headers aren't really worth it on a "stockish" 4.0 motor..thats unless there is something wrong with the stock ones and you just need new ones..they dont add any power till you do cams or head mods like porting or valves..

I use the pacesetters that are jet hot coated..they are good headers and really good coating

Headers aren't really worth it on a "stockish" 4.0 motor..thats unless there is something wrong with the stock ones and you just need new ones..they dont add any power till you do cams or head mods like porting or valves..

I use the pacesetters that are jet hot coated..they are good headers and really good coating
I'm planning on getting the 422 cam sometime this winter and hopefully 95tm heads if i can find some in good condition from a junkyard. Likely be doing some port work too

I'm planning on getting the 422 cam sometime this winter and hopefully 95tm heads if i can find some in good condition from a junkyard. Likely be doing some port work too
Well then they might add 5-8rwhp after all that..just make sure to use the metal felpro gaskets. .

Well then they might add 5-8rwhp after all that..just make sure to use the metal felpro gaskets. .
That's not worth it IMO. Do you think getting a exhaust cutout for the track would help or hurt performance?

That's not worth it IMO. Do you think getting a exhaust cutout for the track would help or hurt performance?
Probably wouldnt hurt but also wouldnt help..these motors dont move alot of air so typically high flow cats and good exhaust is about as much gains as your get..typically the cost of good headers arnt worth it unless you just want them or have alot done and want that extra power..

Id put them on if going to high compression, cam,port work and spraying nitrous. .10 rwhp and like 15lbs tq would be worth it on a motor that only makes 160 at the crank stock..

Probably wouldnt hurt but also wouldnt help..these motors dont move alot of air so typically high flow cats and good exhaust is about as much gains as your get..typically the cost of good headers arnt worth it unless you just want them or have alot done and want that extra power..

Id put them on if going to high compression, cam,port work and spraying nitrous. .10 rwhp and like 15lbs tq would be worth it on a motor that only makes 160 at the crank stock..
Good to know. Thanks! Once I get down to a 1/4 tank of gas I'm going to stop by the landfill and finally weigh my Explorer.

The Explorer weighs 3960lbs with me in it and the spare and passenger seat removed.

Got a bottle heater. Hopefully will bring faster and more consistant times. Still wanting to do a mild rebuild with 95tm heads and the 422 but likely won't have the time till at least this summer.

20171226_184533.jpg

View attachment 153577

Back