Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

.......whenever he returns he will tell me that the Explorer is perfectly fine and he's never felt better.
That would be a very good possibility since some people like yourself may be far more susceptible to the issue than others.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Starts November 1st.
I called my local dealer here in Ottawa Peter and the told me Canada is not doing this. Have you heard different?

I called my local dealer here in Ottawa Peter and the told me Canada is not doing this. Have you heard different?
I haven't heard that nor is that 'exclusion' mentioned in the bulletin. I haven't looked into it since I don't have the issue. The notice explicitly says "This action involves approximately 1.3 million vehicles in the United States, 84,000 in Canada and 24,000 in Mexico. The Ford reference number for this service is 17N03."
I am going to my dealer next Tuesday, the 31st, and I'll try to remember to ask them about it.

Peter

I haven't heard that nor is that 'exclusion' mentioned in the bulletin. I haven't looked into it since I don't have the issue. The notice explicitly says "This action involves approximately 1.3 million vehicles in the United States, 84,000 in Canada and 24,000 in Mexico. The Ford reference number for this service is 17N03."
I am going to my dealer next Tuesday, the 31st, and I'll try to remember to ask them about it.

Peter
I checked the myford site and it shows up on my Vin, they must have just thought it was not affecting Canada as it was probably not on my Vin when I asked 10 days ago.

Thank you though Peter. I did not think you owned a Explorer anymore but I see in your signature you got a new one! Nice, I cannot bring myself to spending the money, I think I will have this one for 12-15 years.

Being in Ottawa now, and knowing you are from here, do you recommend any of the rust proofing services around town? I park outside so I do not know if it is as big of a deal but seeing I plan on keeping the Explorer for a while it might be worth the investment.

Don

Last night after work I took my 2017 Explorer to the dealership and the service manager test drove the car. I didn't ride along. Not to my surprise, when he got back he told me he felt fine and he doesn't see any issues.

He then popped my hood and told me that what could be happening is a rat could be peeing on my engine. He pointed to a few lines where on the black plastic cover where something had dried. I told him that looks like water from the car wash to me.

He also pointed to a small bit of fluid that was on the engine block....it likely got there during my last service when they were topping off my fluids. He said that could be causing it.

He then said it could also be that I have bacteria in my air conditioning. He said Ford sanitizes your AC one time for free or else I could pump Lysol through the system.

He also said it could be from all of the plastics heating up in the sun when the car is outside. I told him that is unlikely because my car is garaged both at home and at work (less than a 0.7 miles away) and I often walk to work, meaning my car has very little exposure to sunlight.

Some people have complained about an odor, but I don't have an odor. I just get the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure. Carbon monoxide does not have an odor, which is why it is called the "invisible killer."

Anyway, it wasn't much help. I have an appointment on November 1st for the dealership to do the program repairs. I asked the service manager if the Ford recommended repairs will be done no matter what or if it is dependent upon an inspection by the service personnel. He said they will look at it to see if anything needs to be done. I asked them if they have a way to test for carbon monoxide and he said no. I have a feeling they won't be doing anything to the car and I'll be stuck with this issue.

Put a CO detector in your car to find out.

I've been doing research and I hear that household CO detectors aren't very good for cars. I found another one that is a sticker style that is used for small aircraft. Does anyone have any recommendations based on a product they have used? There are lots of options on Amazon.

A rat..........might have peed on your engine.......... I think that explanation would have earned him a savage punch to the throat. Get a CO detector and take pictures of your readings. I'd schedule it for their non-recall recall as I'm sure they don't have to agree you are seeing symptoms to 'fix' it.

My '15 XLT will be serviced on Tuesday next week here in Tampa. Same explanation...not a recall, just a free service. No rental car provided. I could get a rental car for a day per my extended warranty, but otherwise I'm on my own.

Also I was told that the service will take at least two days to complete due to the overwhelming response of Explorers having the service done.

For background, I have a 15-month old.

I have a Field Service Action message on My Ford Pass 'App'. #17N03 emissions related.

I just dropped my 2017 Explorer off at the dealership this morning for the exhaust service. The workorder says the following:

RECALL PERFORM OPEN RECALL 17N03 CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS

Apparently they got the parts in early so they are going to work on my car today, one day before the November 1st program begins. We will see if the issue is fixed.

Has anyone else taken their Explorer in for the service?

I logged into owner.ford.com this morning and had an alert as well.
  • VIN: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • FSA Title: CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS
  • Field Service Action Number: 17N03

I think we all need to remember or think about this - CO does NOT have a smell, it is an odorless, colorless gas.
What we can smell at times would be exhaust and while CO can be and is part of the exhaust gas they are NOT one and the same.
My personal experience is this, I ONLY get a smell in WOT (wide open throttle or "flooring it", heavy gas pedal application - think on-ramp, passing someone typically on an uphill/mountain environment) and typically only when the A/C is on in MAX. So what I do just as a piece of mind thing is slightly lower both rear door windows a little just to exchange air during such events when the smell and POSSIBLE CO might enter the cabin.
I personally will NOT have a dealer touch mine until a fix has been done many times with positive results. I don't need mine "messed with" if this "isn't the fix".
This is a TSB, not a recall....

Hi Don. Was at my dealership (Dupuis Ford / Lincoln) yesterday to get the Winter wheels installed and oil change and brought this up. The service manager said that they are aware of this notice from Ford and will carry it out on affected Explorers. They do the maintenance for the local OPP (Provincial Police) detachment and said that they are doing those and finding many open areas where exhaust can enter the cabin. So far they haven't had a single complaint from 'retail' owners.

Peter

I have my 16 Explorer in for some service work. I do have the exhaust/ smelly egg odour under heavy acceleration and Tech confirmed. Service said that right now they are waiting for the correction ( Ford is aware and confirm this issue) from Ford then they'll call me back for the repair.

If you can smell ANY exhaust there CERTAINLY is CO present.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have my 16 Explorer in for some service work. I do have the exhaust/ smelly egg odour under heavy acceleration and Tech confirmed. Service said that right now they are waiting for the correction ( Ford is aware and confirm this issue) from Ford then they'll call me back for the repair.

Got the car back with " TSB 17-0044 No repair available ( Ecoboost) has recall 17N03 no info till mid November ".

Back