Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad I could Help! Make to post the progress here so I can observe haha

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I will get you the mic holder in the next few weeks. Your rebuild is going much quicker than I expected.

I was just poking a little fun at you, take your time. I have plenty to keep me busy until then:

Cover console with vinyl.
Cut out diamond plate console cover.
Cut out diamond plate console gauge mounts.
Clean up and paint diamond plate parts.
Go to Marshall's Hardware for the 20th time, this time for threaded inserts for console, and misc. other hardware.
Finish mounting console.
Finish running the wiring to the rear battery.
Install 450 amp megafuse at rear battery.
Install two, 200 amp manual reset breakers, one before the megafuse, one between main battery and battery solenoid.
Run wire to and from the eight switches and two volt gauges in the console.
Plumb the console air compressor pressure gauge (all the tubing is in place).
Wire above mentioned switches (six 5-pin, one 4-pin, one 2-pin).
Wire and mount ham and CB radios.
Install new CD player with Bluetooth.
Install alarm system.
Wire and install transmission temp and pressure gauges (got most of the wiring ran today).
Rewire the rock lights (got melted in a few places, just noticed that today).
Install and wire trans cooler electric fan.
Wire all that stuff through relays and the secondary fuse block.
Reinstall rest of interior.
Get front seats over to lady who makes custom covers.
Reinstall air compressor and rear battery box.
Cut off old light bar mounts on bumper bar.
Weld new light bar mounts on bumper bar.
Weld ham antenna mount to roof rack.
Straighten bent tie-rod and sleeve (I picked up some 3/16" wall, 1.5" OD DOM).
Swap out steering gear box and power steering pump from donor Explorer.
Replace busted motor mount with Brian1's *****in mounts.
Test all systems for the 10th time.

Then:
Pull engine, heater core, fenders, hood, right side doors, rear hatch, rear glass, lenses, engine and underside wiring, and whatever else I think I might need someday off the donor Explorer. Call Josh and ask him to give me and the donor a ride to the junk yard (one-way for the donor). Clean up the work area so I can get my RV back in there.

I also noticed my head liner cloth is splitting and separating from the backing right above my head. Its right along the smoke lines and water marks from the fire guys. I understand its a fairly easy process to recover it with new material, but I am not sure if I can remove the head liner without it coming completely apart due to the cage, and its age. The donor's headliner is completely shot.

Yeah, I think that's it. I am sure I am forgetting stuff.

I have threaded inserts if you have the rivnut gun...

Today I only had a few hours to work on the Explorer. I wrote down all the wires I would need to run to the center console, and came up with 14. I didn't have that many different colors of wire, so I decided to go through the old wiring harness. I salvaged a lot of good OEM wire, with three groups of wires where I have both sides of plugs (found the other ends off the un-melted side of the dash). One plug has 6 wires, one five and the other 10, all different colors. I can use two of those to wire everything in the console, and have it unplug if I have to pull the switch panel for any reason. I spent quite a bit of time looking for the other end of the 4X4 control harness, but it was damaged (it had 14 wires in the plug).

I am also going to use the factory wiring when I wire in the alarm, making it a little harder to mess with. I only saved wires that were over 10 feet long, with about half over 20 feet. I inspected each wire to make sure there were no nicks or damage to what I saved. A few days ago, I used the speed control harness plugs off the donor to rewire the harness I plug into the RV when flat towing the Explorer. It's a six wire plug. I only need five, but used two on each side for the charge wire.

Salvaged wire and loom;
20171021_162323.jpg

Worked on covering the console today. The prep work took most of the day. The vinyl goes on fast. Got the smaller pieces done and one side, then realized I messed it up. Staples will show on the rear the way I attached the vinyl, so its going to get a redo tomorrow. I will use the material off the messed up side to cover the arm rest so its a perfect match. I picked up twice the material I thought I was going to need because its inexpensive and I am a novice at best at working with vinyl. Last time I covered the console, I glued the vinyl directly to the wood. This time I sandwiched thin batting between vinyl and wood. I think it looks and feels much better this way.
20171025_182237.jpg

20171025_181515.jpg

Nice workmanship:chug:

Made some good progress today. Got it all covered, then cut out the straight parts of the diamond plate. I can finally see it should work out as planned. The cup holder figure 8 cut-out is going to be interesting.

Finished console
20171026_130244.jpg

20171026_130304.jpg

Installed to check fit, and checking fit of inserts

20171026_170924.jpg

20171026_170956.jpg

I need to locate some M4 screws that are a little bit longer than what I have to properly mount the ham radio. I got the longest button-head M4 screws at Marshall's Hardware and they were fine until I covered the console. The batting and thickness of the vinyl makes the screws too short. Same with the screws that connect the removable section. They are a little too short. I bought the button head screws because they were black, and look nice, but I think I might have to get something else and paint them.

Lookin real good

Made some good progress today. Got it all covered, then cut out the straight parts of the diamond plate. I can finally see it should work out as planned. The cup holder figure 8 cut-out is going to be interesting.

Finished console
View attachment 151526

View attachment 151527

Installed to check fit, and checking fit of inserts

View attachment 151528

View attachment 151529

I need to locate some M4 screws that are a little bit longer than what I have to properly mount the ham radio. I got the longest button-head M4 screws at Marshall's Hardware and they were fine until I covered the console. The batting and thickness of the vinyl makes the screws too short. Same with the screws that connect the removable section. They are a little too short. I bought the button head screws because they were black, and look nice, but I think I might have to get something else and paint them.

You rig should be in a magazine... You should submit photos when you're done.

I don't know if its magazine worthy, but the vehicle fire has allowed me to start over with the interior and nearly all of the accessory wiring is getting a redo. My skills have improved greatly over the last few decades.

Something else I noticed I should do is to plate between the frame and the back of the sliders. I hit a few of the bracings for the slider mounts and bent them pretty good. I am going to start looking for some plate remnants.

I just noticed your computer is still mounted low. Have you considered mounting it up in the glove box area?

Console is turning out great!

You rig should be in a magazine... You should submit photos when you're done.

Or just bring it out to KOH or Moab next year. I know a guy that can make that magazine thing happen ;)

I just noticed your computer is still mounted low. Have you considered mounting it up in the glove box area?

I thought about it, but really don't plan on ever driving into water that deep.
Console is turning out great!

Or just bring it out to KOH or Moab next year. I know a guy that can make that magazine thing happen ;)

Cool

i see you got rid of the external caps for the arm rest mounts. Looks a lot smoother now

i see you got rid of the external caps for the arm rest mounts. Looks a lot smoother now

I haven't cut the hole out of the material yet. The only way to access the arm rest bolts is through the holes in the sides. The seats cover that area anyways.

oh so you did retain them. My apologies. I thought you made it where the console had to come out to remove the arm rest

Back