Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Man, Ford better put out a clarifying note on this. Too many dealerships are seeing the open field service campaign and kneejerking that this is a recall. If a customer isn't experiencing the issue, dealers are probably creating more problems than they're solving pulling all this stuff apart for something that is an optional program.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can smell rotten eggs, you surely have elevated CO levels.
Co is oderless. The rotten egg smell is completely unrelated to this. Do a minute of research man.

Rotten egg smell isn't exhaust related? Where's it come from then? I very much understand CO is odorless.

I have a 2014 Explorer 3.5L with 24k miles on it and am taking it in for the service on November 6th at Airport Marina Ford in Los Angeles. Originally the Service Advisor told me this service was only available to people who were experiencing the problem, until I read the whole thing to him. Now that I think of it, I do smell an odor during hard acceleration with the A/C on, but I've never had any symptoms.

I read they re-program the HVAC module during this repair. Does that mean they flash the PCM with the latest software or just the HVAC module? I'm wondering if there is any benefit to them flashing the car with the latest software/calibration, if there is any.

Try putting CO detector in the back area.

I have 3 service actions:
CANISTER PURGE VALVE LEAKS
EXHAUST ODOR AND CARBON MONOXIDE COMPLAINTS
POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE SOFTWARE REPROGRAMING

Does anyone have the power steering one as well or is that just me?

I picked up my 2017 Explorer from the dealership yesterday after they finished what the the invoice calls "RECALL 17N03 CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS."

When I got in the car I heard a new, strange cracking sound coming from the rear A/C vent. I sat in the parking lot for a few minutes and ran the A/C at different speeds to see if it would go away...eventually it did and I haven't heard it since.

The service manager told me that the technician that worked on my car had been trained on police cars and he did mine wrong. Apparently that is a good thing for me, though, because it means they installed a "$200" heavy duty seal around the back hatch. The seal for civilian Explorers is apparently not supposed to be as heavy duty because the civilian vehicles don't have all of the aftermarket holes drilled for lights and other accessories.

I asked what else they did to the car, specifically asking about the "flapper" since I had previously heard that was part of the program. The service manager said they put a new and stronger flapper on my Explorer. Apparently the flapper that comes from the manufacturer is flimsy and can potentially allow exhaust/carbon monoxide to enter the vehicle. Supposedly the replacement flapper is stronger and should prevent that from happening.

That's all I have for now. I haven't driven the car much since I picked it up. I'll let you know once I know more.

Has anyone else had the work done?

Chris

I took my 2103 Sport to the dealer on October 12th and they already had the details and were able to get the parts required to correct the issue (Reported "hair salon" smell during heavy acceleration). Service ticket identifies TSB 16-0166. Repair order identifies:
  1. 2 x Vent Air Outer
  2. 1 x Moulding
  3. 1 x Moulding
  4. 2 x Valve Assy
  5. 1 x Adhesive
  6. 1 x Undercoat

I took my 2103 Sport to the dealer on October 12th and they already had the details and were able to get the parts required to correct the issue (Reported "hair salon" smell during heavy acceleration). Service ticket identifies TSB 16-0166. Repair order identifies:
  1. 2 x Vent Air Outer
  2. 1 x Moulding
  3. 1 x Moulding
  4. 2 x Valve Assy
  5. 1 x Adhesive
  6. 1 x Undercoat
Question is, did it solve the problem?

Yes. I even got out on the rural toll road by the house and let the Sport do everything it was capable of and can no longer smell anything inside the car. It used to be really terrible with even slight acceleration.

I took my 14 in to the dealer today for the recall and they called me back saying they need to order some parts and it won't be in for a couple days. For the 17N03 update I thought it was only 1 part, so I guess they are doing the TSB on it too, even though I told them I don't smell anything, just wanted to get it done as a precautionary reason. I will post back when the car is done what they did.

you still can have exhaust gas entering even if you cant smell it, only way to confirm how much there is , is by using a detector with a battery powered digital readout as mentioned earlier.

As far as the recall are you supposed to be getting something in the mail or just showing up to Ford?

It's not a 'recall'. I'd call and try and schedule it at your convenience if you are concerned.

Welcome to the Forum Woah322.:wave:

Peter

Here what is showing on my Ford Owner's web site:
    • VIN: 1FM5K8F83EGB7XXXX
    • FSA Title: FRONT DOOR TRIM PANEL REPAIR
    • Field Service Action Number: 17N04
    • VIN: 1FM5K8F83EGB7XXXX
    • FSA Title: CARBON MONOXIDE CONCERNS
    • Field Service Action Number: 17N03
The Front Door Trim Panel action just showed up in the last few days, no idea what that is.

TB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back