Pugly | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire shops have all the new fancy gadgets to fix and balance tires, yet, unless you actually buy the tires from them they don't seem to want to deal with them. I'm glad you got someone who knows what they are doing and willing to help.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I feel that, about the computers and rules/books. I live with the government rules, they care more about the paperwork, than the actual job we do.

I have three plugs in one tire, from three different nails over about two months. The first I found and fixed the same day, but the tire still leaked a little. I kept checking it and filling with air every couple of days. I found the next nail with spraying the tire with Purple Power, it was a finishing nail below the tread surface. But the 3rd nail turned up last week, another finishing nail, barely in the inner sidewall. I had just recently bought some thinner 1/8" plugs as refills for my kit, and use one of those. It's held okay, but I'm changing the tires this week, they are worn out. You guys need the repair kit I've been using since about 1992, it's the Safety brand, runs about $40ish for a complete kit. Mine were about $20 each, in boxes, now they have a plastic container available.

I have a plug kit. Just choose to use them as a temporary fix in a survival situation only. Rather have the hole patched from the inside and bonded to the rubber. If I used a plug, I would eventually take it in and replaced with a patch. They work, but not always and can leak.

Maybe it's just location, but finding someone willing to be helpful is rare. People are ruled by fear of lawyers these days, and people abuse the use of them equally it seems. It's a mad world.

I have some rare places I go to for trusted help, like an AC shop, machinist for any non-engine stuff, an alignment shop etc.

I only mentioned the plugs because I use the one patented brand that doesn't leak, it has no glue, the plugs self-vulcanize. I've used up almost all of the plugs from two kits, and each came with a good 25 or more. I hate to plug anything, but I have been impressed with these, prior I tried 2-3 crap kits from parts stores. I bent a couple of the tools in those cheap kits, and then found these, which are really strong.

Tire patched, good to go.

In typical Pugly fashion, by not letting me do just one thing at a time, I had to re torque the spindle nuts again. Inner nut wasn't even finger tight Outer was tight tho. Other side was fine. Whatchagonnado?

Time for a new floor jack too. Been fighting Big Red lately, and it doesn't want to lower for me sometimes. Had to break out the Hi-lift a couple times now. I'm done with that.

Always something!!

Two things done, next problem up, keep moving. I've got a Lincoln floor jack that came from Harbor Freight, before they expanded to franchise stores. Come on down, I have a lift at my friend's house too, for big jobs. You're truck is mighty tall, only short people could work under it.

Projectthread001.JPG

Took Pugly to SMORR, and had a blast. The 4:56 gears, and both lockers made her a beast out there. Took her on some hard level 3's with some friends. Almost rolled her once on a night run, and gave a couple passengers a good scare. Was awesome. :D

Smorr group 2017.jpg

On the way home, the front drivers bearings decided they didn't like the trip as much. Limped it back, and tore it down. I found the thin washer with holes in it, had spun onto the spindle threads. The keeper was worn, and jammed into the threads, stopping it from backing out any further at speed. Was a good thing it did, to make the 4 hr trip back.

So I ordered a new set of Timkin bearings, and a new spindle nut kit. This time I decided against the D44 kit, and got the D35 kit from Rockauto. Here is a couple pics showing the difference in the nut thickness. Clean is new.

nut kit 1.jpg

Nut kit 2.jpg

Thanks to a tip from SVO42 I packed the new bearings inside a ziplock bag, and kept my hands clean without wearing latex gloves. :)

Ziplock bearing pack.jpg

So as I was about to put the wheel back on, and call it a day, I noticed power steering fluids dripping from the pitman arm. Looks like the seal is toast. :( Save that repair for another day.

Always something with these rigs!

At least you had good fun on the trip, that's worth the work on the truck.

BTW, is the 1st gen steering box anything like the car boxes, the 70's and 80's GM boxes? I have a high dollar Saginaw box I got for my old Ranchero, and it's the same as the GM stuff for IROC's etc, and NASCAR steering boxes. I'll never use it now, I'll swap the front suspension with a Crown Vic 03-06 setup.

At least you had good fun on the trip, that's worth the work on the truck.

BTW, is the 1st gen steering box anything like the car boxes, the 70's and 80's GM boxes? I have a high dollar Saginaw box I got for my old Ranchero, and it's the same as the GM stuff for IROC's etc, and NASCAR steering boxes. I'll never use it now, I'll swap the front suspension with a Crown Vic 03-06 setup.

Pretty sure they are different. I had a Grand Marquis that broke the shaft in half, and replaced it. It looks similar, from what I can recall, but I think the pre-rack car lines are smaller. I could be wrong, been some time since I eyeballed one.

The 1st gen Explorer gear box is used in all the TTB RBV 1/2 tons, and Non-R&P 3/4 - 1 ton full size trucks, & vans. These boxes are all the same across those platforms. Minor differences in the shaft splines, and internals, but the housing, is the exact same, as far as I know.

It was worth the good times away from home, but If it broke on the Hwy, & left me stranded, my feelings might have been mixed. lol

I keep thinking a flatbed might be a great investment for you.

Driving 4 hours, beating the absolute craop out of your truck, then driving home after abusing it is concerning.
**** breaks, and the getting back part could be ugly one day.

I'm actually surprised that vehicles just aren't left in the middle of nowhere sometimes when they are in-between two massive obstacles (broken down) and no other way out.

Im no off roader, but on the first experience out we tore the front frame of our vehicle in two and had to try a welding rod with multiple batteries to get off the trails. Killer breakdowns in very bad spots have to happen all the time.

Lmao!

Catastrophic breakdowns can, and do occur. That's part of the risk involved.

But.... knowing your rigs limits, always having someone with you, using your noodle, and common sense goes a long way.

I carry plenty of parts for items that are common for breaking and the tools to do trail repairs. I always have a back up plan, to get back home eventually. People know where I'm going, and know when I should return.

Granted, some things are not in my control, and **** can, and does happen. I can choose to live in a bubble or go out and live a little, now and then. My life is very boring outside of hitting the trails, and without a hobby, (purpose), nobody would even know I exist. Lol

I'm with you on the getting out part. I had a great time just being a passenger/spotter. If I had a place to store a rig I'd probably own one. I say probably because id end up single with another vehicle I've modified the crap out of.

Took Pugly to SMORR, and had a blast. The 4:56 gears, and both lockers made her a beast out there. Took her on some hard level 3's with some friends. Almost rolled her once on a night run, and gave a couple passengers a good scare. Was awesome. :D

View attachment 151683

On the way home, the front drivers bearings decided they didn't like the trip as much. Limped it back, and tore it down. I found the thin washer with holes in it, had spun onto the spindle threads. The keeper was worn, and jammed into the threads, stopping it from backing out any further at speed. Was a good thing it did, to make the 4 hr trip back.

So I ordered a new set of Timkin bearings, and a new spindle nut kit. This time I decided against the D44 kit, and got the D35 kit from Rockauto. Here is a couple pics showing the difference in the nut thickness. Clean is new.

View attachment 151684

View attachment 151685

Thanks to a tip from SVO42 I packed the new bearings inside a ziplock bag, and kept my hands clean without wearing latex gloves. :)

View attachment 151686

So as I was about to put the wheel back on, and call it a day, I noticed power steering fluids dripping from the pitman arm. Looks like the seal is toast. :( Save that repair for another day.

Always something with these rigs!

I keep saying baggies should be sold in auto parts stores. They have all kind of uses for us. Good tip there.

And I cast another vote for the flatbed truck. But then don't we all?

A few posts back, I showed a picture of a 4" long arm suspension lift kit I acquired.

I got the parts I am going to use from it sandblasted, and inspected for weak spots. They are in perfect shape. No cracks, or bad welds to be found.

Once that was done, I got them coated with POR15 chassis coating. Once these cure out, I will coat them with POR15 DTM gloss black top coat. Has a good UV protection in that stuff.

Waiting on some stock coil buckets from someone doing an SAS, to go with the new F-250 shock towers. Will be able to run a 10" travel shock with those on. Once I make those, I will put all this stuff on, and gain a bunch of travel, without changing the lift height of the rig.

I have a nice set of leaf springs, and a set of Brian1 U-bolt skids, to add as well. Will be a lot of work, and nobody will be the wiser, anything was done to it. lol

Raw arms.jpg

Raw arm side shot.jpg

Raw crossmember.jpg

Painted brackets.jpg

painted arm.jpg

Painted RA bracket.jpg

Beautiful, I love the chassis protections and coatings. I liked how my front 2/3 of the 99 frame I did, but removing the old greasy coating was a pain by hand. Doing parts separate is great and you can choose coatings or colors as needed. Well done.

Thanks Don.

These parts had a red factory powder coat, and someone tried to rattle can them black. I wasn't going to mess around with them, and just had them chemical dipped, and blasted clean.

I read that others have developed some fractures in these, and doing the blasting, allowed me to look them over very closely. POR15 has been tried & true for me, over the years, and is my go to product for this type of work.

I have another big ongoing off road project, involving a lot of tube & plate. Started it last month, and will take me until Feburary/March to finish. That build is getting a diff type of chassis coating, as it easier to spray, plus has a UV protection agent in it. Also giving Monstaliner a try on certain parts of that build.

I know someone who ponied up for a CNC tube machine. He has 7 different designs for rock sliders programmed, and can interchange them. I chose this design, after mixing a couple designs together. 1.5" chomoly x 0.188 Chromoly.

They have been welded up, and fitment is next weekend. I will be taking them to another friends paint booth, for a chassis coat, and top coat spray, before mounting them.

Whats not shown is the mounting plates, step plate, and all the gussets.

94 sliders pre weld.jpg

That's a cool jigsaw puzzle. I bet that was fun designing those.

Back