Steel Wheel Hubcap Interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steel Wheel Hubcap Interchangeable?

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I've got a set of PIU steelies with the undercover optional full coverage wheel covers.

I plan to use the smaller, traditional hubcap with polished trim rings. The small center caps are expensive for the 2012 and later models but the 2011 and earlier caps from Crown Vic / Interceptors which LOOK similar front and back (inc. the attachment to the shouldered lug design) are much cheaper. Both the 2010 Crown Vic and the 2013 Exp, have a 5 lug 4.5" diameter bolt pattern Does anyone know if the earlier caps will fit the current steelies?

First pic is an early cap, the second is the current cap. I know the face design is slightly different between the two and I don't mind that, I'd just like to know if the older caps will fit the later model wheels.

THANKS for any info.

ExpPre11cap.jpg

ExpPost11.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LT,

I'm running the old CVPI center caps on my winter Interceptor steel wheels purchased in 2014. They fit fine and hold well but there is a caveat.

The older CVPI chrome center caps are designed to clip into the stock OEM police lug nuts for the Interceptor NOT the OEM tall lug nuts that come with the aluminum wheels.

Torque settings are different too, the police lug nut torque settings are higher.

So you will need a second set of lug nuts, I found the FORD OEM lug nuts were too expensive so I got a set that work from Costco when I bought my Blizzaks

LT,

I'm running the old CVPI center caps on my winter Interceptor steel wheels purchased in 2014. They fit fine and hold well but there is a caveat.

The older CVPI chrome center caps are designed to clip into the stock OEM police lug nuts for the Interceptor NOT the OEM tall lug nuts that come with the aluminum wheels.

Torque settings are different too, the police lug nut torque settings are higher.

So you will need a second set of lug nuts, I found the FORD OEM lug nuts were too expensive so I got a set that work from Costco when I bought my Blizzaks

So the shouldered lug nuts with that ridge to hold the center caps on current police steelies WILL word with the older CVPI caps?

Thanks for the information.

Yes Sir

I bought a set of center caps and Interceptor steelies in October 2014. The caps are like the ones in the first picture and I got them for $20 each. I got the proper Ford lugnuts for $2.56 each. All costs in Canadian funds and everything was bought from the dealer.

Peter

I bought a set of center caps and Interceptor steelies in October 2014. The caps are like the ones in the first picture and I got them for $20 each. I got the proper Ford lugnuts for $2.56 each. All costs in Canadian funds and everything was bought from the dealer.

Peter

Both the old and new Interceptor caps are crazy expensive now, about $50-60.00 EACH and the lugs are high from Ford but the auto parts stores have generics with the proper shoulder for much less. Hence, I am looking for used ones in good shape right now.

eBay has some sets of 4 for $60-80 for the old/crown vic style - some even say they are new.

Both the old and new Interceptor caps are crazy expensive now, about $50-60.00 EACH and the lugs are high from Ford but the auto parts stores have generics with the proper shoulder for much less. Hence, I am looking for used ones in good shape right now.
$68.57 each on Ford parts.com :(

Peter

I did Ebay for a set of 4......much cheaper.

I bought a set of used Crown Vic / Police Interceptor hubcaps. I polished them up a little and they look great.

SteeliesRight.jpg

That's what I use for my Winter setup. Have used the same wheel/tire combo on my 2014 MKT and my current 2017 Platinum. Hope to possibly use them on a 2020 Explorer as well.

Peter

Has anyone painted their center chrome hubcaps black for a cheaper way to help make their PIU look less like a patrol car? If so what method and what paint did you use?

IF I were to paint my center caps I'd scuff them up first for more "tooth." Then I'd use VHT epoxy paint. Not the high temp stuff, the regular epoxy black which I used to paint over the rear chrome trim piece on my Exp. Tough paint.

IF you want the benefits of a steel rim but want to avoid the "cop look" you may want to look at the Ford wheel covers made specifically for the PIU steelies. Ford supplies them as an option for undercover PIUs, it's a Ford part. I have a set that came with my steelies that I may swap out later.

I put the full wheel covers on the 17" steelies I used on my 2011 Limited for Winter wheels.

Peter

wheel cover.jpg

IF I were to paint my center caps I'd scuff them up first for more "tooth." Then I'd use VHT epoxy paint. Not the high temp stuff, the regular epoxy black which I used to paint over the rear chrome trim piece on my Exp. Tough paint.

IF you want the benefits of a steel rim but want to avoid the "cop look" you may want to look at the Ford wheel covers made specifically for the PIU steelies. Ford supplies them as an option for undercover PIUs, it's a Ford part. I have a set that came with my steelies that I may swap out later.

Thank you. I will consider both options.

Has anyone painted their center chrome hubcaps black for a cheaper way to help make their PIU look less like a patrol car? If so what method and what paint did you use?
Or you could just take the center caps off.

I have a 2016 Sport and Ford provided me with 18" steel wheels and winter tires for winter use. It was part of the promotion when I bought the car.
It's dark grey and kinda amazing to see everyone slow down around me especially in the winter months when I'm running on the steelies.
I'd also like to find the police style centre cops to enhance the cop look even more lol.
I'm guessing the lug nuts I use for the Alloy 20" wheels won't work with the police style centre caps?

I have a 2016 Sport and Ford provided me with 18" steel wheels and winter tires for winter use. It was part of the promotion when I bought the car.
It's dark grey and kinda amazing to see everyone slow down around me especially in the winter months when I'm running on the steelies.
I'd also like to find the police style centre cops to enhance the cop look even more lol.
I'm guessing the lug nuts I use for the Alloy 20" wheels won't work with the police style centre caps?
Did they give you the Interceptor steelies or the generic ones? The Interceptors are like the ones in post #11 above. You are correct in that you'll have to get a different set of wheel nuts if you want to go with the centre caps. I found that out a few years ago. I always make sure to bring the correct ones every time I have the change over done.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes it appears as though my steelies look like the ones in pic 11 above.

Back