SYNC 3 latest version | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

Mine takes a few minutes to start but then it says Updating System Software. Then sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes 15 minutes later, I get the pop up that installation is complete & to remove the usb Drive. I have ignored that every time sometimes for at least 30 minutes but it doesn’t go away. I finally select Close & wait another 10 to 20 minutes before finally turning off the car. The update never takes. Next time I start the car, it’s still at version 2.2

After the popup to remove the drive, I removed mine right away then turned off the car and closed the door until the screen went dark. The next time the system started up, it was running 3.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the popup to remove the drive, I removed mine right away then turned off the car and closed the door until the screen went dark. The next time the system started up, it was running 3.0.

That's what I did as well.

That's what I did as well.
And the system never rebooted while you were doing the update - Sync stayed on & played music, etc. while the top of the screen said Updating System Software?

So I had no problem updating from 2.2 to 3 the newest version from that mustang forum link. But sadly I have the wifi popup everytime I start the truck. I had a 2017 mustang GT and I updated to the 3.0 version and it did the same thing. I though the latest build was supposed to fix this?? No dice that I can see. Any ideas?

I tried this to fix the wifi popups and it seems to have worked.

"WIFI popup fix

*You must have a WIFI network to connect to. I used my phone as a hotspot.

When WIFI window pops up:
1 Enable the hotspot on your phone (or be able to connect to a trusted wifi)
2 Touch view networks on screen
3 Connect to your hotspot/wifi SSID
4 Once connected goto Settings > General >Automatic System Updates
5 Press > Scan for Updates Now

Last checked for updates will show the current date and time. Thats it."

The problem is, it doesn’t actually update. You remove the USB drive & leave the car off for more than 5 minutes & it’s still version 2.2

Mine has done the same so I have given up on the update. I have followed the directions and everything seems to work fine and then it says Software updated. I turn off car let it sit for 10 minutes start it and it still on 2.2. I guess the difference isnt much from 2.2 to 3.0 so I will just let it be. Very frustrating to update car software. Shouldnt be this hard.

Very frustrating to update car software. Shouldnt be this hard.
Keep in mind that as far as I can tell, V3.0 has not been 'officially' released for the Explorer. Once it is, if it ever will be, it should be much easier.

Peter

And the system never rebooted while you were doing the update - Sync stayed on & played music, etc. while the top of the screen said Updating System Software?

No reboot during the process at all. At the end, you get the "Successfully Updated" message and then it says upon next start up your system will show updated. So I powered vehicle off, opened the door, the screen went blank and full shut down, restarted the vehicle and it showed updated.

No reboot during the process at all. At the end, you get the "Successfully Updated" message and then it says upon next start up your system will show updated. So I powered vehicle off, opened the door, the screen went blank and full shut down, restarted the vehicle and it showed updated.
I got the same thing except it didn't update :-0

And the 20 min battery disconnect did nothing either correct?
I’m going to try next weekend. We are on the way to a cat show this weekend

I’m going to try next weekend. We are on the way to a cat show this weekend
So the last time I tried the update was Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ve driven the car to work & back & we ran errands before heading to the cat show this morning. After a stop for gas I suddenly get a pop up asking if I want to turn on auto updates. I selected ask me later & figured it was because I’d selected that awhile back & it was now later :). Then, a few hours after that, after we’d gotten to the hotel & then gone for supper, I noticed that the Sirius icon looked different. I checked & the version is now 3.0.

The newer v3.0 build 17276 fixes that annoying wifi pop up and some other bugs that v.3 build 17194 introduced. Looks like '18 Explorers have the v3.0.

2.3 should officially be out for those with Navigation. I would expect the non-nav version to be out soon. Just as a big FYI for everyone....in the official release of nav for 2.3 there are APIM specific files related to the generation of APIM. This is something new and has not been included in previous official updates nor in the unofficial updates that have been passed around including 3.0

Just updated my 2017 to ver 2.3 build 17109 from 2.0 build ???? over wifi. Haven't had a chance to check for differences. Release notes would be nice. Maybe they will be there when the update registers on owner.ford.com

One thing with 2.3 is you can run SYGIC nav from your phone onto the SYNC screen.

google is your friend

google is your friend
Hmm, says this: Sygic Car Navigation on SYNC®3 AppLink is now available for Ford drivers with updated SYNC®3 head units**.

I think AppLink only works on the vehicles that have the 4G Connect ability?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2017 Explorer Sport with Nav and I was running 2.0 version of the software. And I applied the new update without any trouble except for a tiny brief scare where the map version didn't show up temporarily. For those that are not tech savvy. These are the steps to take in detail. The problem with all the links, especially on the Mustang site is a lot of misinformation and dead links. So this is fresh as of Nov 2017.

First question: Why bother? That's a good question. I haven't seen any noticeable improvements. I tried to find a patch note list for build 17276, but couldn't find any. My interpretation of what I read was this was an unreleased beta build that leaked. I was hoping that it might improve my Spotify so that I could skip through songs using my steering wheel controls, but alas... it did not. Some forums mention improved voice recognition and new commands... but meh.

Before you start, you can confirm you current version by going to settings > general > About Sync 3 and you'll see something like this. I was on 2.0 before I updated.

These set of instructions only apply to people with version 2.0-2.3 with Sync 3 (so basically just 2017s) and have a NAVIGATION SYSTEM. No Nav or no sync 3, you need another piece of firmware (Mustang Page has instructions).

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible if you brick your system. I'm just repeating what I did. I only did it because I was curious. So if you try this, you are on your own.

But there is a factory reset option and I've seen other steps too.

EhFN2K.jpg

• Get a USB stick that is 2GB or more. Preferably one with a light indicator on it so you can see it's activity while plugged in. Do a quick format in FAT32 which all main OS's support. In windows you just right click on the drive and pick "format" and then you'll pick your options such as format style and quick format.
  • I've hosted the 3.0 Build 17276 file on my own google drive, so download it (there is no preview). Over time this version will be out of date and a newer official one will come out. Download it to your computer, not the usb drive -- as it'll just slow everything way down as the zip file is 1.5GB. The extracted files are the same size. But basically it'll be much faster to extract it on your harddrive first, then copy extracted files over to your USB.
  • Once on your USB drive, your root directory should look like this (SyncMyRide folder will contain 5 files in tar.gz format)
802ZUN.jpg

• Take the USB drive with you, and don't plug it into your car until you know you can commit to 15-20 minutes of keeping the car on. You do not want to interrupt the process. It's probably fine, but I didn't take any chances. For me, it took 16 minutes from start to finish.
  • I plugged it into the USB connection directly under the nav system. Apparently you can use the one inside your console tray too. So this doesn't matter. For the first 5 minutes, you'll see nothing -- but if you have an indicator light on your USB, you'll see it flicker a lot, like a HD light.
  • After approximately 5 minutes, your main display will say something like "Updating software..." on the top left corner. Meanwhile, you are able to use your system (play music, make calls, nav, etc...) All this update happens automatically in the background.
  • About 10 minutes later, you are presented with a popup that says it's all done and you can restart your system. Turn off the car, turn it back on, and then go to System > General > About Sync3 -- and you'll get your confirmation:
lQDf1B.jpg
  • After I turned off my ignition and turned it back on again, I saw this:
cKsanI.jpg

• At first I freaked out. I then clicked on Nav and it paused for a few seconds, then suddenly the version popped up before the Nav showed up. But some say it could take 15+ minutes to resolve. Then all was fine:
TjXzmh.jpg

It was just fun to try.​

Back