What did you do this weekend? Participation required | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do this weekend? Participation required

Brought the scope home from work and plan on using it in the morning before I go back to work. We did replace the cam synchronizer a year or so ago. It was when we were chasing a driveability issue. Are you thinking a timing issue? I disconnected the coil packs so it wouldn't start while cranking.

I've read where if the cam synchronizer isn't installed correctly it can mess with the timing and burn up pistons.

BTW - That piston top looks awfully clean in your picture (as well as being damaged). That could be an indication of at least that cylinder running extremely lean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swapped out a leaky oil pan, threw on a new tough guard filter and 5 qts. Castrol high mileage..
20171101_172540.jpg

Changed the wheels and tires on my son's truck. 2015 F-150 wheels using 5 to 6 lug adapters with 285/65/18 Yokohama Geolander A/T tires. Nice and smooth, the Good Years I was running on it vibrated.
IMG_20171012_191014124.jpg

Since my ST is down with a bad engine, I have been messing with my 03 Expedition FX4. I put a 2 inch lift on it and put a set of 20 inch F-150 FX4 wheels on it. The tires are 35x12.5x20 Yokohama Geolander A/T's. I had 18's on here and put them on my son's truck.
IMG_20171029_180323475.jpg

Know what I did recently? My old lady got possessed by some demons on Halloween night after I decided to go have dinner with my son and his mother. She took a screwdriver to the drivers side front quarter and both drivers side doors. Cracked my side mirror housing and my shattered my window deflector. She feels really bad and she's gonna pay for it so I'm getting a whole new paint job
Talked to my body guy about color matching the grey lower body panels but he's not interested in dealing with that type of material. Anyone have any exp with painting those lower plastic panels? What materials did you use? What kind of prep is needed?

@sethsport

Your a very tolerant guy.

If my wife attacked my car with a screw driver the cops would show up really quick.

My old lady got possessed by some demons on Halloween night after I decided to go have dinner with my son and his mother.
:drunk: perhaps?

Sorry, no answer regarding trim panel "material". Yet to read of a long term solution that doesn't chip or wear off. Regardless of prep work on the trim, every thread I've seen always seems to result in adhesion issues. I've even read of Rhino Lining or bed liner paint being used, but the texture of that stuff is hideous and fugly IMO. Good luck.

Yes I am a very tolerable fella. I absolutely didn't deserve it. And yes she was drunk as a skunk. But I worked it out with my body guy and he's going to do the entire vehicle. It's already black but he's going to do black with some flake in it. Haven't decided what type of flake yet. My ride is littered with damage from the trails so i think after it's all smooth and shiny I'm gonna work on getting a different 4x4 for my fun and keep this truck pretty... lol we'll see. And yes I've also considered truck bed coating for that trim but as you said everyone I've talked to, even the paint guys, say nothing really works. Although a friend of mine said there's colored stuff you can rub into that material to change the color. I'll look into that

I just noticed this, thought it might help you imagnetic the "bed liner" but IMHO, search for the "lineX" brand..
Jlombardi posted his ST, I must admit, I love the flat black look!
Show Off Your Sport Trac!

The pipe between the cat and muffler on my '01 rusted completely off at the flange, so I fixed that. Before I looked to see where the leak was, I thought the muffler had a hole. I was relieved to see it was the pipe which was both cheaper and easier to fix. Once I got the pipe repaired, I looked under the truck while it was running and saw exhaust vapors coming from the sides of the muffler, so it needs replaced too - but not right away!

Replaced the original serpentine belt on my '02. It was time after 15-16 years and 89,000 miles. It felt pretty dried out. Also greased the caliper pins on the front brakes, which I didn't do for some reason when I did the brakes 3-4 years ago. I won't make that mistake again! Since I had the front tires off, I rotated the tires, front to back.

After replacing the donut gasket in the flange after the converter I decided to go ahead and piece together a cat back system. Tailpipe, extension pipe, and a 50 series flowmaster from amazon gives it a little growl now. Looking for some fog lights and the best place to mount them on an 02' xls.

After having intermittent lighting problems on my '01 ST's HVAC control panel, I decided to swap the panel out with one from an older XLT. I also had to transfer the white face overlay to the black XLT controls (which are a bit different on the blower setting) but it now works great and is better than no lighting at all.

Also, after having rear window glass problems for the second time (goes DOWN okay, but reverses 1/2 way while going UP and seems to act up in/after rain) I decided to see if there is an emergency override procedure outlined in the owner's manual. Turns out there is. Hold the knob in the UP position. The glass will reverse and still go down, but if you continue to hold the knob in the UP position for 2 additional seconds the glass will go up all the way. I'm not going to put that damn window down again unless I absolutely need to. If I get bored enough I plan to add a regular window switch to the rear window motor so that I can open the glass to any position desired instead of the useless VENT position, full DOWN or full UP. Thanks for a over-complicated feature Ford. If this was such a good idea, why didn't Ford include this feature on the side glass too?

Perhaps the issue is the control module sensing too much resistance when the glass is going up, rather than the control module itself. I should also try spraying some silicon on the rear window channels to see if that helps.

After pondering the rear window full up, full down, or vent was mandated for the rear to open, I'm not sure of other makes, models, but dealing with ours, it seems like a safety feature.. If you get a normal switch figured out for any position you want, let me know ;) and good luck.. I'm sure someone has also thought of the mod, and it may already be in a thread here, I'll kick over some rocks ;)

After pondering the rear window full up, full down, or vent was mandated for the rear to open, I'm not sure of other makes, models, but dealing with ours, it seems like a safety feature.. If you get a normal switch figured out for any position you want, let me know ;) and good luck.. I'm sure someone has also thought of the mod, and it may already be in a thread here, I'll kick over some rocks ;)

Power window motors work in 2 directions. Every motor capable of this I've ever encountered has just 2 wires going to the motor. A red and a yellow. Depending on how 12V power and ground are connected, the window either goes up or down. A power window switch is capable to switching the power/ground connections depending on whether you want the window up or down. I would permanently disconnect/cut the wires going to the rear window motor, near the motor, and install an 80's style window switch in the console. Using adequate gauge wiring, a key-on 12V power source, a fuse, a relay and a ground connection I should be able to easily achieve my ultimate goal to have a fully functional (and dependable) rear window.

A switch like the one depicted in the link below would be ideal, though there are many other choices.
s-l500.jpg

POWER WINDOW SWITCH 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 CAMARO NEW CIS1240 | eBay

Please don't put a Camaro part in a Sport Trac.

I have a strong aversion to all things Chevrolet, with Camaros near the top of the list. The 1 Camaro exception being the original ZL-1 and that's mostly because they were built for, and sold by, the dealership in the small Illinois town I was born in. And I don't like the idea of Brand X parts in Fords.

Rad leak at seam between tank and core. Installed new Radiator, new top and bottom hoses, check all grounds new anti freeze. Did not change rad cap or thermostat as new on August. Checked Acv between anti freeze and block good at .001. Pulled all tires to check brakes etc in preparation for by annual inspection next month. Only found a broken bracket for parking brake cable on frame below rear LH quarter panel Next weekends job. ( 2001 4x4 Sport Trac built 20/09/2000)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picked the camper shell up over the weekend. Had to drive a few hours but was only $25. I drove my son's white truck to get it since the engine is bad in my red ST
IMG_20171126_165053213.jpg

Back