Heat - 2017 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heat - 2017 Explorer

boelteq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I've noticed I rarely feel hot air coming from the vents with AUTO on and set to 72. It is not uncomfortable, just wondering if this is unusual. It says this in the owner's manual "If you select AUTO during cold temperatures, the system directs airflow to the windshield and side window vents. In addition, the fan may run at a slower speed until the engine warms up." I then turned off AUTO and put fan up as well as temp. and still no hot air. Just the fan noise. AC and defroster work fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have mine set at the same temperature and yesterday it was 14 F here. I have mine on 'Auto' as well and don't pay that much attention to the system but after a few minutes of driving the blower came on with a vengeance due to the engine warming up. I believe a certain engine/coolant temperature has to be reached before the system will begin to blow warm air when in 'Auto' mode. Have you checked to see how you have the airflow direction set up?

Peter

I have mine set at the same temperature and yesterday it was 14 F here. I have mine on 'Auto' as well and don't pay that much attention to the system but after a few minutes of driving the blower came on with a vengeance due to the engine warming up. I believe a certain engine/coolant temperature has to be reached before the system will begin to blow warm air when in 'Auto' mode. Have you checked to see how you have the airflow direction set up?

Peter
What do you mean by that? I have it in auto so I thought it automatically adjusted direction/fan speed. I haven't pushed the buttons to direct it towards windshield or feet if that's what you mean.

What do you mean by that? I have it in auto so I thought it automatically adjusted direction/fan speed. I haven't pushed the buttons to direct it towards windshield or feet if that's what you mean.
Yes, that is what I meant. You can select how you want to have the air flow directed in the Climate panel.

Yes, that is what I meant. You can select how you want to have the air flow directed in the Climate panel.
I turned off auto and the fan all the way up directed towards my head and it worked. So I'm not sure if there is an issue with auto heat. That's why it would be nice if others could comment to see if this is a problem

I've noticed I rarely feel hot air coming from the vents with AUTO on and set to 72. It is not uncomfortable, just wondering if this is unusual. It says this in the owner's manual "If you select AUTO during cold temperatures, the system directs airflow to the windshield and side window vents. In addition, the fan may run at a slower speed until the engine warms up." I then turned off AUTO and put fan up as well as temp. and still no hot air. Just the fan noise. AC and defroster work fine.
I don't pay too much attention to the temp of air coming out of vents, but I usually have mine set between 72 and 73 degrees F and air seems warm and Explorer heats up. I don't see a problem.

I don't pay too much attention to the temp of air coming out of vents, but I usually have mine set between 72 and 73 degrees F and air seems warm and Explorer heats up. I don't see a problem.
Okay thanks. It seems warm enough. I can hear it blow but no air ever.

Back