M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 55 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Do you have another MAF to try out? (might be cheaper than a pcm?)
Check the maf and make sure nothing is stuck to the sensing wires.
Is the maf a six wire or 4 wire?

What did you change about the tps, can you swap it back to the old one?

What are the actual symptoms you are having now? (is there a communication problem with the PCM?)

Do you have another MAF to try out? (might be cheaper than a pcm?)
Check the maf and make sure nothing is stuck to the sensing wires.
Is the maf a six wire or 4 wire?

What did you change about the tps, can you swap it back to the old one?

What are the actual symptoms you are having now? (is there a communication problem with the PCM?)
I dont have an extra one,pretty sure its 6 wire but not using some..

I threw away the old tps..

Im getting high idle but at idle the AF is dead on..any press of gas results in extreme rich..no matter what we adjusted it would do the same thing except AF at idle,that would show changes...

One of the 50 times we tried to adjust it,it start and idle fine..only then did the changes to the tune work at other than idle..we were lean across board so we pulled chip to add fuel, put it back in and started it..the idle then was high and was back to doing same thing...

Whenever the idle is high it wont tune,something is shorting out and causing the high idle and extreme rich and cant be controlled other than at idle....

I've got a few regular 5.4 80mm mafs you could try

I've got a few regular 5.4 80mm mafs you could try
The tune is setup for a 90mm from a lighting so it would have to be changed for them to work..he's over changing the tune and really wants nothing to do with it till its running right...

Shoot you have nothing to loose, you never know it could run completely different with a working MAF if yours is bum.

If I were you I'd start retrofitting an obd2 harness on the truck. A 1995 harness would be plug and play I would think. There's also got to be a way to retrofit a sohc 4.0 computer to run it. That way you'd have a knock sensor to work with.

Shoot you have nothing to loose, you never know it could run completely different with a working MAF if yours is bum.

If I were you I'd start retrofitting an obd2 harness on the truck. A 1995 harness would be plug and play I would think. There's also got to be a way to retrofit a sohc 4.0 computer to run it. That way you'd have a knock sensor to work with.

Yea true
Im looking at 1/4 horse honestly, uses same ecm and can live adjust and data log

I like those ideas best, get a control system on that which will handle things, plus can be data logged. You are lacking that information, to help you track down issues.

I have a Lightning 90mm MAF that I got from a friend ages ago. He had it on his 03 Lightning and did the typical stuff, put on a cone filter(ground the MAF inlet edge down to clamp to it), raised the boost etc. I wish he had kept that truck, but he back then swapped cars way too often. He's had the 8 liter Dodge four door truck for a few years now, he's settled down in middle age, LOL.

I'd be heppy to send you this MAF if it might help.

Data logging ability is what you need. Then you can see what everything is doing when things are far off and get an idea where to look. I don't have any experience tuning but I couldn't imagine using your current pcm setup being anything but a headache since not a single parameter being input is factory specification on your truck. You are flowing 3x air and fuel compared to stock, I just think your trying to ask to much of that grandpa aged pcm.

Data logging ability is what you need. Then you can see what everything is doing when things are far off and get an idea where to look. I don't have any experience tuning but I couldn't imagine using your current pcm setup being anything but a headache since not a single parameter being input is factory specification on your truck. You are flowing 3x air and fuel compared to stock, I just think your trying to ask to much of that grandpa aged pcm.
I agree and so is the tuner

Soooo dont even wanna say what the problem was...

I can tell you it wasnt the ECM..also bought new O2s,maf,aic,temp sensors..nope none of those...

Soooo go back and double check the wiring on tps,keep in mind i was getting .965v...well had the ground and the 5v backwards..switch them and todaaa it runs perfect...WHATTT A PIA!! How i mixed them up and still was getting .96v from my reference wire to what i thought was ground is beyond me but its fixed..

Tune is off some but that was expected. .

Wwwwwoooooooooo....now to give it some time and for my tuner to get over me,WHICH ill add he swore the tps COULDNT effect all that was going wrong,swore it was only used for idle and wot..which he definitely was wrong!!!..

Any rate THANK GOD!!!

For reference the obd1 wire for tps are
Gray with red stripe=ground
Gray with white stripe = reference
Brown with white stripe=5v

Now im using a foxbody tps so its colors are
Black=ground
Orange=5v
Green=reference

congratulations JD!

Nailed it!!!

congratulations JD!

Nailed it!!!
Thanks man..i kept blaming you and Tim for my bad luck..hahaha
But seriously seems like us 3 keep pushing the envelope and its really frustrating when we are doing stuff that others haven't and noone really has the answers. .i appreciate the positive support. .thanks man

Yea, we are on our own as we create issues.
No one wants to touch our ****. lol.

I was kinda shaking my head while I was changing a headlight hid ballast today that randomly gives issues. There's nothing like factory stuff for reliability. We take reliable things, modify the crap out of them, and make them quirky and unreliable. Are we stupid?

I was kinda looking at Cadillac cts-v's used today. Factory reliability, super comfortable, and gobs of power. Just dreaming.

Late birthday gift? Glad to hear some good news!

Yea, we are on our own as we create issues.
No one wants to touch our ****. lol.

I was kinda shaking my head while I was changing a headlight hid ballast today that randomly gives issues. There's nothing like factory stuff for reliability. We take reliable things, modify the crap out of them, and make them quirky and unreliable. Are we stupid?

I was kinda looking at Cadillac cts-v's used today. Factory reliability, super comfortable, and gobs of power. Just dreaming.
Hahaha yes,yes we are....
Funny you say that because i put led headlights in and was about to the point of blaming them for my problems. .lol

Swear one day we are gonna all meet up and cry together over beers!!! Hahaha

dont be that guy.

and what did we do? who wants something completely reliable, and doesnt take up every weekend chasing a problem or fixing something that your bad judgement broke?

dont be that guy.

and what did we do? who wants something completely reliable, and doesnt take up every weekend chasing a problem or fixing something that your bad judgement broke?
Haha yea we bleed blue..DONT DO IT..

Yea if we didnt have issues to fix every weekend what would we do??? Im to old to pick up a drug habit and my liver is on its last leg...hahah

Swear one day we are gonna all meet up and cry together over beers!!! Hahaha

Id love to get out to your area one day just to tour around.
Iv'e been to New York/New Jersey, but I'm certain your landscape is far different. I'd love to just tour down the coast.

Back