Transmission Issues

407Mainman

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville,SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Explorer XLT, Blue
Okay, ladies and gentlemen,

Hopefully, I can describe what is going on with my transmission that someone with this vast forum body can steer me toward a hopeful solution.

About a month or so ago I experienced some issues with my transmission. The first thing I did was check the trans fluid. It was low, but not drastically low, so I topped it off and it appeared to run and shift better.

Afterwards, I noticed that my front and rear brake pads were extremely worn. So, I replaced them. I also changed the driver's side plugs. After changing out the plugs, I cranked my vehicle to take it for a test drive.
When I cranked my vehicle, I happen to notice that the driver's side of the engine raised slightly. Immediately I thought this was due to a cracked driver's side motor mount. My vehicle drives great in forward. The gears shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd and upward, and downshifting is the same. But I did notice something that concerned me. When I place the vehicle in REV, it shakes. Not a lot, but it feels as if something is loose. What it could be is the mystery.

Someone suggested that it could possibly be the transmission Servo Valves. The transmission is a 5R55S and I have watched several YouTube videos but plain and simple, I am 70 years old and any work I do has to be done under my carport.

I have another EGR issue but will submit this under a new POST.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The servos in the case have nothing to do with reverse, I would fix the mount and EGR problems first before considering the transmission had a issue.

If it's a 96 you have a 4r55e. Does it shift into reverse slowly? First thing I'd do is replace the other bank of plugs. And wires.

If it's a 96 you have a 4r55e. Does it shift into reverse slowly? First thing I'd do is replace the other bank of plugs. And wires.
How is initial engagement affected by ignition? Or am I missing your point? Not trying to be an A.H., just don't understand the relevance. imp

How is initial engagement affected by ignition? Or am I missing your point? Not trying to be an A.H., just don't understand the relevance. imp
Do you typically recommend replacing a single bank of plugs?

Back