Our Colorado Trip - It Hurts, But Did You Die? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Our Colorado Trip - It Hurts, But Did You Die?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did hit rocks on the undercarriage a couple times. And seems one of those times was at the top of Mt. Pleasanton. I need more/better skid plates. :)

Overrated. There's not an untouched piece of metal under my 96!! It looks like I removed everything but the frame and body and drug it up a boulder field under there. Now that I think about it..........you might be on to something.........LOL

I'll be back as soon as possible though. I think the air cleaned me out a little. If I had my choice that area is where I would go to live the remaining years of my life.

Been here for 34 yrs now, since I was just a little guy. Other than an 11 mos. stint in Phoenix (welding outside, what the hell was I thinking?) I've been on the front range the entire time, and I have no plans to leave whatsoever. You experienced a pretty healthy taste of what anchors me here. Up in the altitude is pure therapy, in more ways than one!! But the clean thin air does make you feel better somehow, there's a reason Doc Holiday spent his remaining days fighting tuberculosis at the sanitarium in Glenwood Springs.

It's not for everybody, but for some, there is no better place to be

I know you used to come out for the CCR's, and hopefully you got to experience some of the aspens at that time of year. It's unbelievable in some places if you catch them at just the right time. I've got GB's and GB's of pics and videos from all the places I've wheeled, and there's never any shortage of majestic, awe inspiring and humbling views. They're everywhere you go. I've already seen enough of those views to last me a lifetime, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what this state has to offer for wheeling.

Although it was a bummer that meeting up didn't work out, it makes me happy you guys had such a great time together in my home state that I love so much. I'm proud to live here and wheel these trails and I love hearing that others' had such a great experience. Next time you come out, I'd be honored to tag along even if only for a day!! But you nailed it Greg, "for some, there is no better place to be". My feelings summed up in 9 words!!

I hope the invite includes me because I would be honored.
I sorta though you were going to pop in on us, but, as it turned out our plan without a plan stuck us up in a place where we could not communicate well, nor could I really say I would recommend showing up there. None of us wanted to move camp during the week, but I really think it would have been best if we had when the weekend crowd thinned a little.
Trying to find a great campsite on Saturday afternoon during the summer in that area is almost futile.

Pardon the thread Hi-jack Jon....

I think we should get a certain CO native ( ;) ) to get a CCR meet put together for next September. Plan out a weeks worth of passes to run, a group dinner with reservations made, campgrounds at (cough..cough) acceptable elevations, pot luck meals, some EF swag, T-shirt's, etc... It's way past due, and someone needs to do something about it.

Ouray always worked great in the past, and has everything we need, but other areas also work. Heck, even a big loop thru the state, and camp as we go type of trip works for me. Either works, as no matter where you go, it's all gonna be awesome.

Pardon the thread Hi-jack Jon....

I think we should get a certain CO native ( ;) ) to get a CCR meet put together for next September. Plan out a weeks worth of passes to run, a group dinner with reservations made, campgrounds at (cough..cough) acceptable elevations, pot luck meals, some EF swag, T-shirt's, etc... It's way past due, and someone needs to do something about it.

Ouray always worked great in the past, and has everything we need, but other areas also work. Heck, even a big loop thru the state, and camp as we go type of trip works for me. Either works, as no matter where you go, it's all gonna be awesome.

I second this!!! Who's the native you had in mind? (I'm originally from Nebraska, but moved here in 83, and now with the influx of new arrivals, the true natives claim me) I'd be more than happy to help in anyway I can, as would the better half. I've never done anything like that before and wouldn't know where to begin, but I'd be tickled to co-pilot such an undertaking!! I am the Adopt a trail clean-up coordinator for a local group I'm in, but that's nothing more than a contact point for the Ranger whose district our 2 adopted trails are in, and I set up a poll to see what day works best for everyone, and I do it twice a year. That's a pretty far cry from the prestigious CCR!! But if there's anyone that can step up and let me play a supporting role, I'm a quick study and could possibly take it on in the future.

I second this!!! Who's the native you had in mind? (I'm originally from Nebraska, but moved here in 83, and now with the influx of new arrivals, the true natives claim me) I'd be more than happy to help in anyway I can, as would the better half. I've never done anything like that before and wouldn't know where to begin, but I'd be tickled to co-pilot such an undertaking!! I am the Adopt a trail clean-up coordinator for a local group I'm in, but that's nothing more than a contact point for the Ranger whose district our 2 adopted trails are in, and I set up a poll to see what day works best for everyone, and I do it twice a year. That's a pretty far cry from the prestigious CCR!! But if there's anyone that can step up and let me play a supporting role, I'm a quick study and could possibly take it on in the future.

I consider you a Native. At the very least, a long time resident. :)

I think if all you CO members banded together, you would successfully put a group meet together, for all of us. ;)
The longer you spend coordinating it, the better success you will have. I would start a thread on it in November. This gives others time, to plan vacation, time away from work, in advance. Last minute threads only work for locals.

I consider you a Native. At the very least, a long time resident. :)

I think if all you CO members banded together, you would successfully put a group meet together, for all of us. ;)
The longer you spend coordinating it, the better success you will have. I would start a thread on it in November. This gives others time, to plan vacation, time away from work, in advance. Last minute threads only work for locals.

I really like this Idea. would be a lot of fun. I would not be able to help but I do know of a great shop here in Colorado Springs that might be able to help if needed. His shop is the only place I go for parts. Places I really like is Buena Vista. There is a nice place to camp at the trail head of Chinamens Gulch. OR a camp ground just past Buena Vista just off the 85.

Sandi and I were just saying we'd love to make a trip to CO in next summer.

Labor day weekend?

Or the weekends after to avoid crowds, but yeah, Sept IMO, is the best time to go, as long as we camp below 8000 ft, like at Ouray KOA. Trip needs to be more about trails, than about camping.

Or the weekends after to avoid crowds, but yeah, Sept IMO, is the best time to go, as long as we camp below 8000 ft, like at Ouray KOA. Trip needs to be more about trails, than about camping.

I can agree with that. More trails. There are a lot of trails to go to there in Buena Vista also. easy ones for us Stock peeps and some for @gmanpaint :) Like Chinamens Gulch. I would like to be with 33s by then and I will attempt Chinamens Gulch. It is a fun trail and an all day trail.

Needs to be about camping, then trails. Accessible camping for the word--no need for a trail run just to get some ice.
Not an overlanding trip.

I can agree with that. More trails. There are a lot of trails to go to there in Buena Vista also. easy ones for us Stock peeps and some for @gmanpaint :) Like Chinamens Gulch. I would like to be with 33s by then and I will attempt Chinamens Gulch. It is a fun trail and an all day trail.

Stock rigs can handle everything we do In Ouray area. No worries there. Only thing I would say they need is 4wd, good tires, AT's at the minimum.

BV is too far away from Ouray, so that won't work.

LoL I was thinking small RV camping accessible.

For a group run, Trails trump camping. I would even stay at a hotel over camping if I could. Less work dealing with camp, and more time on the trails.

I will save the primitive wilderness camping for smaller group trips.

True, just the act of camping (setting up, preparing meals, cleaning up, etc) takes time. A camper (or hotel) eliminates a lot of that. Though "semi-primitive" (camping where there are facilities) can be time saving as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only reason for camping is to save $$ on a trip like this. That and being together as a group for after the trails, to yuck it up around a fire after a meal. KOA provides this. Showers, security for belongings while away, centrally located, and only a few mins to civilization. (& ice cream)

Personally, I want to go there for the trails, and to experience the majestic Mtn's as much as possible. Like everyday, all day. More than likely, I wouldn't pack anything besides lunch food. Ouray has plenty of great places to dine at nightly.

Back