SYNC 3 latest version | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

I think the other gotcha was that some didn’t format as exFAT.
It supports both FAT32 and exFAT. They are similar formats, and Ford is able to recognize both. Mine worked fine as FAT32... but I have seen some posts where they swear they need exFAT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How big was your USB stick? Thinking maybe people recommended exFAT based on the size of the stick

How big was your USB stick? Thinking maybe people recommended exFAT based on the size of the stick
8GB. FAT32's main limit is that no single file can be bigger than 4GB. exFAT has no such limitation and is more modern. Neither would be a problem for updating Sync3.

Mine updated to 2.3 last night over WiFi....... woke up and there it was.........

I just finished updating to v2.3, via usb. Thought I buggered it up because I opened the driver’s door while it was installing and the screen went blank and the light on my usb stopped flashing. Turned the engine off (I know it says not to!) and started all over again and it looks like all is fine; update successfully verified. Took about 15 minutes, even with my screwup.
Comparing to kmarnes’ screenshots of v3.0, maps version stayed the same (no update from v2.0), but Gracenote version doesn’t update in v2.3, where it does on v3.0.

Anyone outside the US (Europe ideally) know if the 2.3 update updates the Europe maps as well? I don't dare do anything until then (2017 screen in my 2012, running 2.2)

Anyone outside the US (Europe ideally) know if the 2.3 update updates the Europe maps as well? I don't dare do anything until then (2017 screen in my 2012, running 2.2)
Although I'm not sure, I believe actual map updates are a separate item from the Sync 3 software updates.

Peter

Although I'm not sure, I believe actual map updates are a separate item from the Sync 3 software updates.

Peter

Peter your right.... US updates are here
Ford/Mercury | Home | HERE
But nothing for the 2017 Explorer...... Ford needs to do something, my garmin is updated 4 times a year.... my phone constantly......

That's weird - just download, unzip the Sync folder, transfer to USB, install which took about 15-18 minutes for nav. no modifying needed. Glad you knew what to modify. Do you have non-nav? Heard that's a 2 step install.

I have the nav version. Just to confirm I used a 32GB stick formatted to exFAT and still couldn't get it to work. I had not such issues in the past doing updates to Sync 3.

I have the nav version. Just to confirm I used a 32GB stick formatted to exFAT and still couldn't get it to work. I had not such issues in the past doing updates to Sync 3.

I could not get a stick to work either..... but WiFi worked during the night..... next morning it was there........

For anyone who’s having trouble with the usb method and is using a Mac, I noticed something when I did mine: Macs will automatically unzip the downloaded file, including the folder within that’s supposed to stay there. If you plug the usb into your Explorer without the expected file organization, it won’t be able to perform the update. Solve that problem by doing the following:
Step 1:
In the menu bar, go Safari -> Preferences. In the "General" tab, uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This will stop Safari from automatically unzipping the file as soon as it downloads.
Step 2:
Instead of using the built-in unzipping tool, download an app from the App Store called Stuffit Expander. The built in Mac OS utility will remove the folder that’s supposed to stay there, but the Stuffit app will maintain the correct file and folder organization. Once installed, the Stuffit utility is accessible when you right-click the zipped folder, then you can choose where to create the folder containing the unzipped files.

You may need to re-download the zipped file again after you complete step 1.

I attempted to load V2.3 into the Ex last night but it didn't work. I had a 32GB USB drive but it was FAT32. I attempted to format a previous 32GB to exFAT but after the status bar showed the format complete a window popped up saying Windows could not complete the process and Internet Explorer could no longer access the drive. That is why I hoped the one formatted FAT32 would work. When I plugged it into the vehicle the drive began flashing and the screen showed "software updating". This went on for about 8 minutes and then the screen showed "restarting" and went blank and then came up with the Ford logo and then a screen that said "Sirius 2" along the top, That was replaced with the "software updating" message again but there was no flashing to be seen on the USB drive. I drove for about 10 minutes with that and then selected the Navigation button and that came up and filled the screen except for the updating message. When I reached my destination I shut the ignition off. About 2 hours later I started the Ex up for the return trip and was faced with the same software updating message although the USB drive showed no activity. When I got home I decided to try formatting that USB to exFat. The end result is that I'm still on V2.0 and now have two 32GB USB drives that I can't access. On top of all that the minor hockey team I coach lost 2-1. Not a very productive night.:D

Peter

I attempted to load V2.3 into the Ex last night but it didn't work. I had a 32GB USB drive but it was FAT32. I attempted to format a previous 32GB to exFAT but after the status bar showed the format complete a window popped up saying Windows could not complete the process and Internet Explorer could no longer access the drive. That is why I hoped the one formatted FAT32 would work. When I plugged it into the vehicle the drive began flashing and the screen showed "software updating". This went on for about 8 minutes and then the screen showed "restarting" and went blank and then came up with the Ford logo and then a screen that said "Sirius 2" along the top, That was replaced with the "software updating" message again but there was no flashing to be seen on the USB drive. I drove for about 10 minutes with that and then selected the Navigation button and that came up and filled the screen except for the updating message. When I reached my destination I shut the ignition off. About 2 hours later I started the Ex up for the return trip and was faced with the same software updating message although the USB drive showed no activity. When I got home I decided to try formatting that USB to exFat. The end result is that I'm still on V2.0 and now have two 32GB USB drives that I can't access. On top of all that the minor hockey team I coach lost 2-1. Not a very productive night.:D

Peter
Peter to try to fix the busted USB drives try this: (from here: 3 Best Ways to Fix 'The Format Did Not Complete Successfully' Error - EaseUS)

"1. Fix 'the format did not complete successfully' by using Windows Disk Management

Unknown viruses on your computer may stop you formatting your disk drive in a large extent, so run a virus check using the security software at first attempt. Afterwards, try to format again in Disk Management carefully.

Step 1. Go to Run and type in diskmgmt.msc and press enter.
Step 2. Find your USB drive in the list and right-click on the disk and select "Format" option.
Step 3. Follow the format wizard to complete the format process.

Or you may perhaps delete the volume, create a new one and then format."

Apparently you are not the only one with download issues.

Peter to try to fix the busted USB drives try this: (from here: 3 Best Ways to Fix 'The Format Did Not Complete Successfully' Error - EaseUS)

"1. Fix 'the format did not complete successfully' by using Windows Disk Management

Unknown viruses on your computer may stop you formatting your disk drive in a large extent, so run a virus check using the security software at first attempt. Afterwards, try to format again in Disk Management carefully.

Step 1. Go to Run and type in diskmgmt.msc and press enter.
Step 2. Find your USB drive in the list and right-click on the disk and select "Format" option.
Step 3. Follow the format wizard to complete the format process.

Or you may perhaps delete the volume, create a new one and then format."
This is somewhat unlikely but possible. Usually all you do is stick the drive into your computer, and from File Explorer (My Computer) -- right click on the drive and pick Format. A quick format is perfectly fine -- it just nukes the low level index but not the entire data on the drive. USB sticks can be finicky and sometimes they just don't work right. If you have problems with errors when trying to explore the drive plugged into your computer, or if auto detection is hit or miss, then it's likely the drive.

Also, I've been using 3.0 for a few days now and have noticed I am once again getting traffic information -- green, yellow and red overlays, and incident icons. I thought that was something that came with Sirius. My Sirius trial expired 9 months ago.

Honestly, I generally don't pay too much attention to the nav system, so maybe it's a placebo effect. Can anyone else confirm whether traffic is available in 3.0 without Sirius, or any other version? I'm in Canada.

Also, I've been using 3.0 for a few days now and have noticed I am once again getting traffic information -- green, yellow and red overlays, and incident icons. I thought that was something that came with Sirius. My Sirius trial expired 9 months ago.

Honestly, I generally don't pay too much attention to the nav system, so maybe it's a placebo effect. Can anyone else confirm whether traffic is available in 3.0 without Sirius, or any other version? I'm in Canada.
If you go to the Sync screen and select 'Apps' and check your Sirius Subscription you will find that you are 'Subscribed' to all but one item. They must be running one of those unannounced free trials. I just checked mine and everything but the last option is 'Subscribed'.

BTW. I'm in the process of formatting one of my 32GB USB drives right now. Anxious to see if it will be successful. I was able to right click on the drive before but it came up with a msg saying Windows cannot access it. Thanks to Simon's suggestion I'm now at least able to access it and hopefully end with a successful format.

Peter

Interesting. Maybe the drive became corrupt, but it could also just be a flaky drive too. Using disc management now?

Interesting. Maybe the drive became corrupt, but it could also just be a flaky drive too. Using disc management now?
Yes re disk management but it also ended up the same way in that it could not complete the format. I am now trying it again using the right click/format method on my laptop and was able to do a 'Quick' format successfully. It is now running a full/complete format. Both computer and laptop are running Windows 10.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I feared... sometimes it might work and sometimes it might just fail. Like playing roulette. That's a common problem with USB sticks... sometimes it's just the connection that is unstable, but the drive itself is likely fine. Some sticks are cheaper than others as far as construction goes. You could always borrow or just buy another one and it'll probably solve the problem. I've had a few USB sticks go back over the years. Sometimes it can also be the usb plug on your computer device. Frequently the ones at the back of the machine are more stable than the peripheral ones.

I have a MicroSD in my dashcam and have a USB converter for it, and it's flaky as hell, but it's still the fastest way to download footage. It'll just crap out randomly whether I'm actively copying or idle.

Back