Instrument Cluster/Radio Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Cluster/Radio Issue

EKurb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
I've had my 2017 Explorer XLT for just over a year. Within the last month, on two ocassions I have turned off the vehicle and later returned to find the radio and monitor still powered on along with the instrument cluster (although blank). If I turn the vehicle on, my instrument cluster remains blank and my speedometer does not work (needle stays at 0), the vehicle drives fine.

On the second occasion it drained my battery completely. Once I boosted the vehicle, everything was back to normal and has now been running fine for about a week.

Has anybody had a similar issue? The shop foreman at the dealership was unable to find any issues with the electrical and just ended up changing the battery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not aware of a similar incident being posted on this forum. When you said "monitor" were you referring to the Sync 3 screen? Just to let you know, if you didn't already, the radio and screen can be turned ON without the need of a key being present and the ignition turned OFF. Do you know if the dealership checked to see if there were any DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) codes present? No sure if this type of issue would produce a code but it's a good place to start.

Peter

Have you got something plugged into the OBD2 port? An UltraGauge for instance? Some OBD devices prevent the pixies from going into sleep mode and so, when left over night, the battery is drained.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not aware of a similar incident being posted on this forum. When you said "monitor" were you referring to the Sync 3 screen? Just to let you know, if you didn't already, the radio and screen can be turned ON without the need of a key being present and the ignition turned OFF. Do you know if the dealership checked to see if there were any DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) codes present? No sure if this type of issue would produce a code but it's a good place to start.

Peter
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message.

Yes, I was referring to the SYNC 3 Screen, I did figure out how to turn this off but the instrument cluster still remains lit. Basically, when you would normally turn the ignition off, the radio, SYNC 3 screen and instrument cluster stay on until the door is opened, it seems that my vehicle is stuck in this mode even after the door is opened.

The dealership checked the DTC codes and only identified a low battery code, although I think this was a result of the other issue.

Have you got something plugged into the OBD2 port? An UltraGauge for instance? Some OBD devices prevent the pixies from going into sleep mode and so, when left over night, the battery is drained.
No, nothing plugged in to the OBD2 port.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message.

Yes, I was referring to the SYNC 3 Screen, I did figure out how to turn this off but the instrument cluster still remains lit. Basically, when you would normally turn the ignition off, the radio, SYNC 3 screen and instrument cluster stay on until the door is opened, it seems that my vehicle is stuck in this mode even after the door is opened.
Have you checked to see if the Battery Saver program turns them OFF after 10 minutes? That would save the battery but it doesn't explain why the condition is happening.
I was going to suggest perhaps doing the battery disconnect but that would have been done when the battery was replaced. There is a thread on that and Master Reset that I'll link just FYI. MFT Master Reset versus pulling Fuse versus disconnecting Negative Battery Cable
Not sure what else to suggest. If the Battery Saver doesn't turn them OFF then you have a more urgent issue then if it does.
By using the 'Search' feature I found a couple threads along the same line;
2013 base model radio stays on. non MFT radio.
My Radio Kept Playing After I left My Vehicle .... Odd...
The 2nd thread mentions that perhaps there may be an issue with the door switch.

Peter

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the message.

The dealership checked the DTC codes and only identified a low battery code, although I think this was a result of the other issue.

Sounds like the door switch is bad, making it think the door is still closed, though it should still shut down after 10 minutes. When you open the door, do you get the door ajar warning?

Back