M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 56 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great job JD, you got it figured out!
Congratulations.
The hardest problems to figure out are the ones we create ourselves, lol.
Did you see what I did yesterday when trying to degree the camshafts?
I got one side done and then put the dial indicator on the wrong cylinder and couldn't figure out why my readings were so far off.
haha, got to love it!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Great job JD, you got it figured out!
Congratulations.
The hardest problems to figure out are the ones we create ourselves, lol.
Did you see what I did yesterday when trying to degree the camshafts?
I got one side done and then put the dial indicator on the wrong cylinder and couldn't figure out why my readings were so far off.
haha, got to love it!
Thanks..

No i didnt,i posted on your fb asking if you were going to degree them.ill have to check your thread out,excited to see those results also..

Whew, I am glad that you got it figured out, that's what matters.

Skip the Cadillac, go get the new 400hp Lincoln, the AWD MKZ 3.0T

Speaking of blower rebuilds, there's a KB 2400 on eBay with scoured rotors, if you want to begin over on a V8 truck. I saw it and talked myself out of it, if it can't be rebuilt it'd cost the BIN $400 to find out.

JD, when is your next dyno day to get this thing tuned?

JD, when is your next dyno day to get this thing tuned?
He's pretty busy and still slightly aggravated with me i think..i sent him a email telling him it was the tps and its fixed now.Also said it was slightly lean still all over..

His response was ""turn the fuel pressure up for. Ow and ill check my schedule and let you know""...he hasn't responded since and thats the first time he hasn't just agreed on a day or time...

Sooo idk..for now its running pretty good just needs more timing and fuel

Had to order a new alternator pulley..the current one i have is 2.3" and when you do the rpms with my new 7.25" crank i was turning it 3,150 rpms at 1,000rpms (engine idle) and 20,475 rpms at 6500 rpms (shift point/red line)

For most alternators you want to turn about 1,800-2,000 at idle (1,000 engine rpms) to make power and max of 18,000 rpms at red line..after that they can burn up...

So ive ordered a 3.2" pulley..this will give me 2,200 at idle and max of 14,300..it also gives me alittle more tension on my belt which is a **** hair loose..

With my old crank (6") and 2.3 alternator i was turning it 2,600 rpms at idle and max of 16,900..just for reference. .also my alternator is a 200 amp rebuilt unit with better bearings built by my local shop..

To find alternator rpms you divide the crank by the alternator size.. 7.25/2.3=3.15 ratio...then multiple it by engine speed...
3.15x1,000(idle)=3,150
3.15x6,500 (red line)=20,475

a super duty pulley is 3 inch round and is also a 8 rib
Whats the shaft size?? Im using one from lightning thays a underdrive pulley currently. ..i was searching for others but totally forgot about the super duty..lol you know what year by chance??

I got the metco 3.2" for $52

This is the OE lighting specs..i have a underdrive veraion of this thats 58mm
Screenshot_2017-11-11-13-43-56.png

The metco pulley..it needs to be milled slightly to match the offset for our alternators though. .its for a cobra..the lighting is a direct match for our alternators..
03 04 Cobra Metco 3.2 alternator pulley for 4lb lower supercharger crank kit | eBay

a super duty pulley is 3 inch round and is also a 8 rib
They list the gp750 as the pulley for the superduty also..its 2.5" not 3" unless i goggled wrong one??

This is the GP750..
Screenshot_2017-11-11-13-43-56.png

wish i could tell you the shaft size. its a 4G alt if that helps you. but if i remember correctly, its from a 04 that had a 6L and i also had to mill some off of it to get it closer to the alt otherwise the offset would have been too much

The pulleys will work for most Ford alternators, but Tim is right to say check the offset. I don't know why some would be off any, but I had to grind/file down one a little also. It was one that came on a 4G unit, but I swapped it to my old OEM 4G temporarily. I didn't know why it was off a bit, maybe 1/16", I just worked on it for a while and made the belt line up.

The Super Duty trucks are good sources for some pulleys, the alternator and AC clutch for example. I have an AC compressor I needed for a repair years back, and I asked for the Super Duty clutch because it has 8-ribs(same cost for the cheap rebuilt unit).

He's pretty busy and still slightly aggravated with me i think..i sent him a email telling him it was the tps and its fixed now.Also said it was slightly lean still all over..

His response was ""turn the fuel pressure up for. Ow and ill check my schedule and let you know""...he hasn't responded since and thats the first time he hasn't just agreed on a day or time...

Sooo idk..for now its running pretty good just needs more timing and fuel

Send him a Christmas card with a 100 in it, that should ease any aggravation he might be feeling.
Sure hope you can get it tuned and see what this thing does fully completed.
How much longer are the race tracks open in your area? Some around here usually stay open through December if the weather doesn't get too bad.

I am using a Super Duty alternator pulley as well and had to grind some off the back too.
The pulley is not large in diameter like the one you are getting, it is very close to stock size for the explorers.

Tuner emailed back..so next Tuesday the 28@2:30 is my next attempt at dyno..god i hope this time goes good or else he might be over it...

Wishing you nothing but success!
You got this!

Have you been driving it again, how does it feel now?
I'll bet it is putting a smile on your face!

Wishing you nothing but success!
You got this!

Have you been driving it again, how does it feel now?
I'll bet it is putting a smile on your face!
Thanks..yea i have been..its running pretty good.. partial throttle acceleration is kind of rich,WOT is still lean and idle/ cruise is good...

Great to hear you are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, this time I bet it ends up just right.

My only concerns would be my pump or lines are too small..wish i went with the new DW 400lph and -8an lines...i have a tre 340lph and -6an lines currently. .literally just replaced them and would've went with the 400lph but it just got released last week,my luck!!!..lol

My only concerns would be my pump or lines are too small..wish i went with the new DW 400lph and -8an lines...i have a tre 340lph and -6an lines currently. .literally just replaced them and would've went with the 400lph but it just got released last week,my luck!!!..lol

The tuning may tell you how the fuel system is sized for your combination. If the fuel injectors aren't running at 90% capacity, and the A/F doesn't ever get lean at high rpm's, then it should be about right. Data logging an actual WOT run should be the final test of the fuel system. If it needs more the feed line should be the first thing to change, not the pump.

I still plan to fit two pumps into my old 93 tank, using two 255lt/hr pumps($60 each). If that fits then I shouldn't ever get stranded from a bad pump. I'll have a switch to swap pump functions, only one will run full time(one WOT only).

The tuning may tell you how the fuel system is sized for your combination. If the fuel injectors aren't running at 90% capacity, and the A/F doesn't ever get lean at high rpm's, then it should be about right. Data logging an actual WOT run should be the final test of the fuel system. If it needs more the feed line should be the first thing to change, not the pump.

I still plan to fit two pumps into my old 93 tank, using two 255lt/hr pumps($60 each). If that fits then I shouldn't ever get stranded from a bad pump. I'll have a switch to swap pump functions, only one will run full time(one WOT only).
Id probably try the 400lph pump or a ""Boost a pump"" first,would be easier than lines...im only running base psi of 60psi so i still have some room to turn up pressure also

Back