List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I think there is a long thread on the issue, might have useful information. Also, the paint warranty is not always mileage related.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a 2014 Explorer Sport. I noticed a significant amount of bubbling, presumably rust along the leading edge of the hood. Is this a common problem with the Explorer? The truck is only 2 1/2 years old? Conveniently, I am a few thousand miles outside of warranty. Is Ford doing anything about it? I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
Tom
Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one linked in the above post. The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be used to find many existing threads on various issues/topics. As you can see, you are not alone in having the paint bubble issue. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's on the issue but a TSB is normally only carried out for no cost if the vehicle is under warranty. Also, since the hood is aluminum, it isn't actually rust but oxidation/corrosion. You can try contacting Ford Service and see if they can help;
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one linked in the above post. The Forum has a handy 'Search' feature in the upper right that can be used to find many existing threads on various issues/topics. As you can see, you are not alone in having the paint bubble issue. There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 2011 + Explorer TSB's & SSM's on the issue but a TSB is normally only carried out for no cost if the vehicle is under warranty. Also, since the hood is aluminum, it isn't actually rust but oxidation/corrosion. You can try contacting Ford Service and see if they can help;
p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford

Peter
Thank you, Peter.

I think some of the confusion is due to the fact that the Warranty Guide for 2016 and 2017 models covers this issue;
(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended
Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles
driven..............If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage,
and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident,
customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion
or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

blwnsmoke is correct in that the ESP does not cover paint. The ESP is not a direct all inclusive extension of the factory warranty. It has certain exclusions such paint, trim, upholstery and several other items.

ESP is the biggest rip off I've ever experienced, cause it pretty much covers nothing...

Like, my door keypad started acting recently and guess what Ford told me? Keypad is a part of plastic trim and is not covered by ESP! Crazy *******s...
Meanwhile, dealer agreed with me that door keypad is a part of electrical system and just integrated into plastic trim...

ESP is the biggest rip off I've ever experienced, cause it pretty much covers nothing...

Like, my door keypad started acting recently and guess what Ford told me? Keypad is a part of plastic trim and is not covered by ESP! Crazy *******s...
Meanwhile, dealer agreed with me that door keypad is a part of electrical system and just integrated into plastic trim...
I guess they both have a case but I would tend to agree with the dealer.

If you have the Premium ESP, I would have went straight to the BBC and fought this. Would have gone as far as small claims court.

On a separate note, the ESP covers over 1,000 items. Just because 1 of them wasn't covered for you doesn't mean it is the "biggest ripoff".

Does anyone know how much these hoods cost to fix. On my 13 Limited the paint on the front of the hood by the lip just wont stop peeling. I now have at least 10-15 dime size spots and a few quarter size ones... It looks like cancer that is spreading... Extremely embarrassing for a four year old vehicle that cost $55k new...

Does anyone know how much these hoods cost to fix. On my 13 Limited the paint on the front of the hood by the lip just wont stop peeling. I now have at least 10-15 dime size spots and a few quarter size ones... It looks like cancer that is spreading... Extremely embarrassing for a four year old vehicle that cost $55k new...
I believe there are several posts in this thread that mention costs. One I came across mentioned $700 and another from a Canadian member mentioned $900.

Peter

Spoke to my dealer last time I had the Explorer in for an oil change (couple of weeks ago). Have a small area of bubbling on the hood. Service Manger took some pics to send to Ford. Apparently they came back and said they would not fix it.

What do I need to do to get Ford to fix this issue? Keep complaining to my service manager? Would mentioning the TSB information to the service manager help?

Spoke to my dealer last time I had the Explorer in for an oil change (couple of weeks ago). Have a small area of bubbling on the hood. Service Manger took some pics to send to Ford. Apparently they came back and said they would not fix it.

What do I need to do to get Ford to fix this issue? Keep complaining to my service manager? Would mentioning the TSB information to the service manager help?
I don't think there is any use in repeatedly bringing this up with the dealership since it is Ford that has to approve the work. I would ask the service manager for the reason, if any, that Ford gave for the denial. I was going to suggest contacting the Ford Service people but again if the work was already denied then I doubt that would do any good.

Peter

I recently noticed what I thought was rock damage on the front of my hood. My husband then showed me where the paint had flaked off because it had bubbled along that section of the hood & was bubbling in 3 other places on the hood.
Today I took it to my local Ford dealer, they told me that even though the car is not yet 3 years old it exceeded the 36k mileage & no my extended warranty does not cover corrosion & oh yes, Ford knows there is a paint corrosion issue on the hoods, they make many repairs, many outside the warranty, they can do it for $900!
This same Ford dealer has opened/closed that hood every 5K miles for the last 26 months yet none of the technicians ever mentioned it & it right next to the front center.
I purchased the vehicle from a Ford dealer with 16K miles as a 'new' vehicle with all the warranties & a 'better than new' extended warranty. I now have 45k miles on it.

I recently noticed what I thought was rock damage on the front of my hood. My husband then showed me where the paint had flaked off because it had bubbled along that section of the hood & was bubbling in 3 other places on the hood.
Today I took it to my local Ford dealer, they told me that even though the car is not yet 3 years old it exceeded the 36k mileage & no my extended warranty does not cover corrosion & oh yes, Ford knows there is a paint corrosion issue on the hoods, they make many repairs, many outside the warranty, they can do it for $900!
This same Ford dealer has opened/closed that hood every 5K miles for the last 26 months yet none of the technicians ever mentioned it & it right next to the front center.
I purchased the vehicle from a Ford dealer with 16K miles as a 'new' vehicle with all the warranties & a 'better than new' extended warranty. I now have 45k miles on it.

Carmen, Welcome to the forum. I've merged your post with the ongoing thread that discusses this exact issue. If you go back a page and look at post 758, you will see Ford now covers this for 5yrs/unlimited mileage beginning in 2016. Many Explorers prior to the 2016MY have now been able to get theirs covered. I would kindly call up your dealership and advise them that Ford has announced coverage for 5yrs/unlim mileage and ask that they escalate this to Ford.

My feeling is they looked at it, and said oh, you are over 36k and didn't even bother contacting Ford.

Lastly, just about everything you could imagine has been talked about on here. We ask that members use the search function first on the top right to try and keep same topics posted together. For this, I used "hood paint".

Please let us know the outcome from your dealer.

I just had my '16 sport hood replaced and painted a few weeks ago. Just about to hit the 36k miles. Only issue I had was they painted the hood separate and just swapped it on. I don't feel like the new hood fits as well and it is for sure a different color than the rest of the car. I understand thats tough on a metallic car and the angles play tricks with your eyes but i wish they painted it with the vehicle there.

The body shop offered to blend the fenders out of their own pocket which I might have them do. I just dont feel like their quality is as good either. But on the flip side, I might just take it to my trusted body shop and have them match it to the rest of the car...

Welcome to the Forum Carmen.:wave:
I would be surprised if Ford covered the hood paint issue but I wish you luck. I'm not sure how they sold you a vehicle with 16K miles on it as 'new'. It would likely have been a Certified Pre-Owned sale. The warranty would likely be the existing 3yr/36k factory warranty. Is the "better than new" a Ford ESP warranty?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Carmen.:wave:
I would be surprised if Ford covered the hood paint issue but I wish you luck. I'm not sure how they sold you a vehicle with 16K miles on it as 'new'. It would likely have been a Certified Pre-Owned sale. The warranty would likely be the existing 3yr/36k factory warranty. Is the "better than new" a Ford ESP warranty?

Peter

I missed that part. No way it was sold as new wo th 16k.

And as you and I know, nothing covers more then the bumper to bumper.

1st paint bubble emerged on my bronze fire hood sometime within the first year. Now at the 2 year mark I'm up to 3 bubbles; all across the front edge. Very disappointing. I'll see what the dealer says at the next oil change.

1st paint bubble emerged on my bronze fire hood sometime within the first year. Now at the 2 year mark I'm up to 3 bubbles; all across the front edge. Very disappointing. I'll see what the dealer says at the next oil change.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Please report back after you see the dealer. I'd be interested to see what the outcome is. You should be covered as per page 11 of your Warranty Guide (5 years, unlimited mileage).

Peter

3 weeks ago I noticed bubbling at the leading edge of the hood. Took it to the dealer last week and within 3 hours of them submitting the warranty claim to Ford received approval to remove the hood...at first the BodyShop estimator tried to tell me they haven't seen many issues like this and they would strip the paint, clean, apply a 'great' sealant and then repaint the hood. We discussed the issue a little and I mentioned how this is corrosion and the aluminum is contaminated...then the estimator started talking about some other vehicles they are working on, but repainting is still the method to correct...I pulled out the Ford TSB (17-0062) which specifically states replacing the panel is recommended and showed him the info. He immediately took pictures of the vehicle and submitted the claim.

Today I take in the Explorer to start the process of replacing the hood and painting. I'll report back how this progresses.

I'd recommend leaving the vehicle with them to color match. Mine was off due to them painting the hood without the vehicle there to match it and its a shade lighter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd recommend leaving the vehicle with them to color match. Mine was off due to them painting the hood without the vehicle there to match it and its a shade lighter.

Thank you. I asked them if they just paint the hood or if they blend the paint on the front end...they told me they will blend.

Update: After I dropped off the Explorer yesterday morning, I called in the afternoon to verify they had the hood and to get an update of when the vehicle would be finished. Was told they do not have a hood and no hoods immediately available within a 500 mile radius, but a new hood would be delivered no later than 3 weeks from today. Went back and picked up the Explorer and am now awaiting the phone call when the new hood arrives...fingers-crossed :)

Back