M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 57 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are down to the fine tuning items, lots of details. I would have used bigger injectors, and at least a 90mm TB, that's a big hp restriction there. I gather the blower isn't big enough to be aiming for big boost, that works good with the milder sizes of injectors and fuel lines. But I would enlarge the inlet pipe and TB for sure, boosted engines need much bigger TB's for big power.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You are down to the fine tuning items, lots of details. I would have used bigger injectors, and at least a 90mm TB, that's a big hp restriction there. I gather the blower isn't big enough to be aiming for big boost, that works good with the milder sizes of injectors and fuel lines. But I would enlarge the inlet pipe and TB for sure, boosted engines need much bigger TB's for big power.
The m90 even ported out only has a inlet of 76mm so not much point going larger than that..i have a 75mm race tb on it and the intake manifold pipe is matched at 75mm..i have 78lb injectors also..boost should peak around 18psi and im over spinning it as fast as the m90 can go..

remember though this is a v6,its moving some air but nothing like a v8..it wont need as big of tb,injectors, pump or lines..everything ""should"" handle around 500rwhp on boost,not much more but definitely should handle it..

My biggest restriction is the heads..even with my larger valves and all the port work they still are tiny..

you'll be fine. for what its worth, i am still running my 255 in mine, but with 8an line. that and 60 injectors

Your 78lbs injectors are fine, but the inlet should be larger than the blower inlet size. Look at any OEM late model engine with boost, the TB will be oval typically, with well over 90mm of area, and those are mild boost applications. You are creating a high vacuum ahead of the blower, much greater than a NA engine. It needs more area to reduce the inlet vacuum(which is restriction). A larger inlet size would increase airflow through the blower, and engine.

If JD doesn't hit his target with the setup he has now then he could surely work on opening up the inlet side to increase power.
Measuring the vacuum pre supercharger at WOT would be neat to see, and would let him know how his current setup is working.

I just installed a mechanical Ford Racing Throttle body made for the GT500 supercharger, the flow specs are lower than the LFP brand I had adapted to make work with my setup. I am curious to see if it hurts at all but with all the other changes there will be no scientific proof at this time.
There is a single blade version also made for the GT500 supercharger, but it is approximately $600.00.

I have been thinking about installing a vacuum test port pre supercharger to check for inlet restrictions at WOT and hope to do it eventually.
It would be cool to see JD and Tim's readings if they were up to doing the testing.

Also the fewer number of cylinders there is, the larger the injectors need to be to make the same HP as an engine with more cylinders.

If JD doesn't hit his target with the setup he has now then he could surely work on opening up the inlet side to increase power.
Measuring the vacuum pre supercharger at WOT would be neat to see, and would let him know how his current setup is working.

I just installed a mechanical Ford Racing Throttle body made for the GT500 supercharger, the flow specs are lower than the LFP brand I had adapted to make work with my setup. I am curious to see if it hurts at all but with all the other changes there will be no scientific proof at this time.
There is a single blade version also made for the GT500 supercharger, but it is approximately $600.00.

I have been thinking about installing a vacuum test port pre supercharger to check for inlet restrictions at WOT and hope to do it eventually.
It would be cool to see JD and Tim's readings if they were up to doing the testing.

Also the fewer number of cylinders there is, the larger the injectors need to be to make the same HP as an engine with more cylinders.
I do have ports pre blower..how would i test this??

This m90 im pretty sure originally came with like a 58mm tb

Injectors should definitely be good,i wasnt anywhere near maxing them out on e50 last tune..

Attach a vacuum gauge to a pre blower port with nothing else on it and watch vacuum at WOT through the entire rpm range.
The lower the vacuum the better.

Attach a vacuum gauge to a pre blower port with nothing else on it and watch vacuum at WOT through the entire rpm range.
The lower the vacuum the better.
I have 3 ports pre blower,one runs my break booster and the other 2 are capped..preety sure i have a spare vacuum/boost gauge also,just need to find it

Excellent, John said it better than I did. You want a mild vacuum on the inlet side, not a huge vacuum that shows how hard the blower is sucking.

I've only glanced at the later big oval throttle bodies. Every time I do I see the $600 stuff and turn away. I know I will need something like them, but I'm way too far away to have to pick one yet.

The free HP isn't free, we all know that. It costs tons for everything in the engine system, and the little stuff outside the engine can be more than the internals. The fuel system and inlet, exhaust etc, it's often an after thought or people spend less on it, skimp, skip etc. The suspension and brakes are ... etc. You know.

I thought I would mention this also,
I have 2 computer programs and one is called Dyno Sym5 and the other Drag Sym5.
They are both by Comp Cams.
One of these two programs(Dyno Sym5) has 1.5 and 3 inches vacuum on a drop down menu for pressure drop.
It appears as though they say to use 1.5 for 4 barrel and fuel injection, and 3 for two barrel carbs.
So I am thinking that it may be somewhat normal to have 1.5 inches pressure difference from atmospheric to intake manifold or in other words 1.5 inches of vacuum presupercharger.
This is all my thinking so I may be way off.

I just read another thing on the internet last week that mentioned someone down to 1.33 in HG after going to larger throttle body.
I don't know for sure but it is interesting.

I thought I would mention this also,
I have 2 computer programs and one is called Dyno Sym5 and the other Drag Sym5.
They are both by Comp Cams.
One of these two programs(Dyno Sym5) has 1.5 and 3 inches vacuum on a drop down menu for pressure drop.
It appears as though they say to use 1.5 for 4 barrel and fuel injection, and 3 for two barrel carbs.
So I am thinking that it may be somewhat normal to have 1.5 inches pressure difference from atmospheric to intake manifold or in other words 1.5 inches of vacuum presupercharger.
This is all my thinking so I may be way off.

I just read another thing on the internet last week that mentioned someone down to 1.33 in HG after going to larger throttle body.
I don't know for sure but it is interesting.
Ill look into trying to rig something up this weekend..my new pulley will be here so going to try and mill that down also..

Got the pulley and milled it down..it fit and gave me the perfect tension on the belt now also..

My power steering pulley is still slightly misaligned. .the crank is chewing my very outside rib up..going to try and space it back some this weekend..

I looked for my spare boost/vacuum gauge and cant find it so ill have to see if i can pick one up cheap somewhere to test my intake pipe size,got me interested now...

20171124_085649.jpg
20171124_085640.jpg

I love those pulleys. I'll have to bend your ear when I get to doing the 8-rib belt etc. I only have the pulleys for the crank, PS, AC, and alternator if that's the right size. I'd like a good looking blower pulley unlike the plain type KB uses, and of course the idler pulleys.

Unfortunately i didnt get time to mess with the truck at all this past weekend..

But tomorrow we are gonna try to dyno tune this thing again! ! Hopefully it goes good this time...WISH ME LUCK!! 3rd time is the charm right...lol

Fingers crossed, I hope it flies, on the dyno.:salute:

Hour before dyno my BRAND NEW pump stops working..trying to get the one i just pulled out back in and make my dyno!!
20171128_133244.jpg

No go for tune AGAIN...fuel pump is too small..

I switched the 340 that stopped working back to the 310..he thinks even the 340 would've been too small..

Fuel pressure does rise as boost does but right at about 14lbs it stops and drops for about 74psi to 44psi (base 60)and slowly continues to drop..we've shut it down right there..

We adjusted the tune some and switched it back to E50..im going to try the new DW 415 lph pump.he wants me to run a relay with a 10g wire directly from the battery activated by old pump wire..if that doesnt solve it going to try a ""boost a pump"" and turn the voltage up..and if that dont work im going to have to go to a external pump..

Mann what a day..sooo over this truck

Hope the new pump install goes well!
That sure is a lot of fuel you need, that spells power!

Wow. I'm super surprised you ran out of pump.
Crazy. I hope your tuner was ok with the whole thing.

The selfish side of me tells me you are about to try out a new style pump for us.

Wow. I'm super surprised you ran out of pump.
Crazy. I hope your tuner was ok with the whole thing.

The selfish side of me tells me you are about to try out a new style pump for us.
The new DW 415lph ""SHOULD"" do it,its a ""direct replacement""..if not i can boost it to think 17v or higher with a boost a pump and direct wire....plus going back to E50 saves me about 15% compare to E85..

I want to try this out before i start dropn loads on concept pump designs...

And yea think tuner felt my pain today..he didnt charge me anything this time..thank god!!

Back