SYNC 3 latest version | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

This is somewhat unlikely but possible. Usually all you do is stick the drive into your computer, and from File Explorer (My Computer) -- right click on the drive and pick Format. A quick format is perfectly fine -- it just nukes the low level index but not the entire data on the drive. USB sticks can be finicky and sometimes they just don't work right. If you have problems with errors when trying to explore the drive plugged into your computer, or if auto detection is hit or miss, then it's likely the drive.

Agreed, I just posted those instructions in case the USB isn't recognized by Windows Explorer which is what it sounded like Peter was experiencing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, I just posted those instructions in case the USB isn't recognized by Windows Explorer which is what it sounded like Peter was experiencing.
I wasn't able to access either one on my computer but was on my laptop. Not sure why the difference. Both run the same OS and security program (Bitdefender). One is now formatted FAT32 and the other exFat. Will try the update again using the latter. Thanks for all the help/guidance.

Peter

2.3 for non-nav is now officially out as well.

I want update Sync 2.2 to 3.0 newset build, can i downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2. Next time i must check FSA 17N03 with my dealer (warranty policy)

Also, I've been using 3.0 for a few days now and have noticed I am once again getting traffic information -- green, yellow and red overlays, and incident icons. I thought that was something that came with Sirius. My Sirius trial expired 9 months ago.

Honestly, I generally don't pay too much attention to the nav system, so maybe it's a placebo effect. Can anyone else confirm whether traffic is available in 3.0 without Sirius, or any other version? I'm in Canada.

I got the traffic info back again since updating, although I’m on v2.3. I have the basic Sirius subscription, but not any add-ons. There was a previous mention that you get 5 free years of traffic as opposed to the 6 months of music. I’m in Canada too.

I got the traffic info back again since updating, although I’m on v2.3. I have the basic Sirius subscription, but not any add-ons. There was a previous mention that you get 5 free years of traffic as opposed to the 6 months of music. I’m in Canada too.
See my post 137 above as to why you're getting that. You won't have it long.

See my post 137 above as to why you're getting that. You won't have it long.

Will check mine again, but yesterday only the first one was subscribed. Maybe because I do have a paid subscription for just the “radio” stations?

I want update Sync 2.2 to 3.0 newset build, can i downgrade from 3.0 to 2.2. Next time i must check FSA 17N03 with my dealer (warranty policy)

Apparently you can, from what I read on here. Here's the quote:

You can downgrade the leaked 3.0 to official 2.3 but you need to go via official 2.2 first. (i.e. leaked 3.0 -> official 2.2 -> official 2.3)

Each release has a version check which compares the current version installed with "known" existing version strings. The 2.3 install script checks for SYNC3_3.0* and says it's already current if that's found. The 2.2 script doesn't check for SYNC3_3.0* which is why this method works.

New member here. Finally found answers about Sync 3 software updates here (versus the dealer). Followed instructions on this thread, used 64 GB thumb drive formatted in exFAT. Extracted files to thumb drive and loaded in the vehicle without a single glitch. Total time for file transfer and system update was less than 20 minutes. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.3 to primarily fix traffic updates glitch.

I ops checked the nav on recent trip to the DC area and it worked great (lots of traffic to test it out on). Compared how well it worked to google maps on my phone and it was spot on. POI's worked great as well.

Just wanted to share and let folks know it worked great. I tried to get an update via my dealer but they just said I already had the most recent version! (2.0)

I'm already a fan of this great resource!

New member here. Finally found answers about Sync 3 software updates here (versus the dealer). Followed instructions on this thread, used 64 GB thumb drive formatted in exFAT. Extracted files to thumb drive and loaded in the vehicle without a single glitch. Total time for file transfer and system update was less than 20 minutes. Upgraded from 2.0 to 2.3 to primarily fix traffic updates glitch.

I ops checked the nav on recent trip to the DC area and it worked great (lots of traffic to test it out on). Compared how well it worked to google maps on my phone and it was spot on. POI's worked great as well.

Just wanted to share and let folks know it worked great. I tried to get an update via my dealer but they just said I already had the most recent version! (2.0)

I'm already a fan of this great resource!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Thanks for the <20 minutes info to update. My 1st attempt wasn't successful using a 32GB Fat32 USB (long story). I was able to get another one formatted exFAT and will give it a try next week when I have a 25 minute drive to make.

Peter

In the U.S. Sirius traffic is free for 5 years. Not sure if that’s been said. Don’t know if it’s different in Canada.

In the U.S. Sirius traffic is free for 5 years. Not sure if that’s been said. Don’t know if it’s different in Canada.

Just like VHR Canada doesnt get it..........That's why I wear a hat that says "Make Trudeau a Drama Teacher Again"

Just updating my own question about a Sync3 unit in Europe. I updated my (EU-purchased with v2.2 already on it) Sync3 unit in my 2012 XLT from 2.2 to 2.3 without any problems.

For the software itself, I googled a VIN for a for-sale-in-the-EU 2017 XLT (happened to be German), and on the Ford owner page I temporarily added it as my car, which then let me get to the page for Sync 3 updates. I downloaded that, extracted the zip, copied it to an old 8 gig (formatted) USB stick that has a light on it that blinks when something is reading from it (great for updating cars that don't show a progress bar), and plugged it into the car's USB. It blinked for a good while without any info on the Sync screen, and then a popup said it was updating the system software. Later it said to restart the car to do the actual update, at which point it did nothing visually, but the Sync info screen said it was on v2.3. As mentioned, it seems this has nothing to do with maps, only the system software itself.

I hope it fixes the Sync 3 "startup sound" (the "chime" sound) playing randomly when I'm driving, was slowly driving me nuts.

I hope it fixes the Sync 3 "startup sound" (the "chime" sound) playing randomly when I'm driving, was slowly driving me nuts.
There is no Sync 3 "start up" sound or vehicle start up sound. The sound you are getting must be picked up from something else or due to some kind of notification that something is wrong.

Peter

There is no Sync 3 "start up" sound or vehicle start up sound. The sound you are getting must be picked up from something else or due to some kind of notification that something is wrong.

Peter
Speak for yourself. I definitely get a startup sound every time I start the car (with no problems). I always start the car before putting on my seatbelt, seeing it's so easy to push the start button while I'm getting seated. What about you?

Speak for yourself. I definitely get a startup sound every time I start the car (with no problems). I always start the car before putting on my seatbelt, seeing it's so easy to push the start button while I'm getting seated. What about you?
I do exactly the same thing most of the time but that so called start up sound is the "belt minder". If you buckle up before starting the vehicle there is no "start up" sound (chime). Just wanted to relay that there isn't actually a sound directly related to starting the vehicle. I guess it's really how you look at it or interpret it.:)

Peter

Perhaps there is also some confusion about this tone being generated...

What I mean is a lot of people tend to group anything a vehicle does by the infotainment system it has. Is it actually SYNC3 generating the tone or is it another system generating a tone being played through the audio system which is what most tones (notice I didn't say all) do unless an audio system error has occurred (one example is the audio system didn't boot up in time to play the tone) which then causes tones to default to the instrument cluster speaker.

I have a bench setup and can say SYNC3 itself has no startup tone unless you get a message on the unit at start up.

That's it! Video will settle this... standby.

EDIT: I win

For the record, I've always heard this startup chime regardless of Sync version -- 2.0 or 3.0. And I get the startup sound with or without any diagnostic warnings such as my low tire or low fuel. It always happens. Perhaps there's a menu setting that controls it. It plays even if you put the seat belt on first.

The other sound that starts playing during the last couple seconds of the video is my dashcam.

Mine does the same “startup” chime. I think it’s just the Explorer saying hello :wave:
Not the same as the seatbelt chime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's it! Video will settle this... standby.

EDIT: I win

For the record, I've always heard this startup chime regardless of Sync version -- 2.0 or 3.0. And I get the startup sound with or without any diagnostic warnings such as my low tire or low fuel. It always happens. Perhaps there's a menu setting that controls it. It plays even if you put the seat belt on first.

The other sound that starts playing during the last couple seconds of the video is my dashcam.

That is too funny. Nothing to do with the SYNC 3 system. You are confusing other vehicle systems with SYNC3. SYNC 3 does not control the entire vehicle.

Back