Explorer to Aviator front brake upgrade | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer to Aviator front brake upgrade

So I put the 16" wheels from my 1st gen sport trac (same offset as a 2nd gen explorer) on my 3rd gen explorer and the wheels don't fit with the aviator brakes. The sport trac/2nd gen wheels have a larger offset (~1" or so need to double check exactly). You would probably need at least a 1" spacer with 2nd offset or 2" spacer with 3rd gen offset. At this offset the wheels would be pushed out past the fenders. The 2nd gen wheels on a 3rd gen has the edge of the tires right at the edge of the fender.

If you ground the caliper you would have to grind almost 1/2" off as the 17" wheels barely fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little more out the fender won't bother me, Its the wheel spacer im not too keen about. I am not sure if I want to put spacers on the wifes DD, just an added place for an issue but she tears the hell out of stock rotors and would love to upgrade to larger rotors.

Did you by chance try the wheel on a rear aviator brake setup?

I'd go with wheel spacers long before I'd grind material off the caliper.

@JW I reread my post and didn't realize I didn't emphazie how bad grinding 1/2" off the caliper would be. Being an engineer the caliper would have zero strength.

I never mounted the rear aviator brakes as it is only a 1" larger rotor.

It's an honest statement and no other way to better discribe it. These calipers are very stout and some material can be safely removed. Just not a whole .5" haha

@firefly1246, I'm in the middle of my upgrade now.
Did you use the explorer brake lines on the aviator calipers?

The aviator lines run upward off the caliper while the explorer lines run down and then curve back up very close to the caliper. I don't think they'll fit around the larger aviator caliper unless I bend the lines. At this point I'm thinking I'll use the aviator lines and just bend the bracket that mounts to the frame so that it matches up with the line from the master cylinder.

Thanks again.

For what it’s worth I used the aviator hoses in the front.

@rewind1. Sorry for the delay. I reused the explorer lines in the front. But got new copper crush washers. I had to message the lines just a little bit to make them work.

@rewind1. Sorry for the delay. I reused the explorer lines in the front. But got new copper crush washers. I had to message the lines just a little bit to make them work.
Thanks for getting back. I ended up using the avi lines like @87350gta since it looked like they needed a lot less bending. Brakes are working but I feel like there is a lot of pedal travel. Bled the lines twice. Think I'm going to do a full flush and change fluid out for new stuff.

Has anyone tried to use EBC rotors for this upgrade? I had to abort the upgrade, because the rotors wouldn't fit over my hubs. The Explorer and the Aviator should have the same hubs, correct?

This upgrade has zero effect on turning radius. The Explorer and Aviator have identical hubs.

For what it’s worth I used the aviator hoses in the front.

I just did this swap after finally needing new brakes. How did you address the hose bracket to frame issue with the Aviator hoses? I was thinking about drilling a new tab hole but was short on time. Just used the Ex. hoses.

I just left them loose.

Has anyone tried to use EBC rotors for this upgrade? I had to abort the upgrade, because the rotors wouldn't fit over my hubs. The Explorer and the Aviator should have the same hubs, correct?

I did! If you watch the premium slotted EBC rotors on Amazon closely you can get each pair for $30/EA with free shipping! Can't beat 4 premium rotors for $60 shipped!

Which part number did you get? The rotors I got don't fit over the hubs.

Back