SYNC 3 latest version | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

That's incorrect. You can use either exFAT or FAT32 -- I installed mine via FAT32 on the first try.
Thanks for that. Good to know. I was just going by the install instructions that were posted with the upgrade notice. In any case my first attempt was with Fat32 and the second with exFat which I had not heard about before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Sync 2.2 build 16280 HN1T-14G381-LG, but wifi check update is updated, why it doesn't upgrade to build 17110 HN1T-14G381-SA.
Someone have downloaded 16280 HN1T-14G381-LG.zip, can upload for me (to downgrade if failt update from 16280 to 17110, 2.3.10 JL1T-14G381-AJ or 3.0 17276).
Ford remove link http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-package/715283556826568730/HN1T-14G381-LG.zip
Thanks.

My software update history
Update_History.jpg

I was just countering Peter saying there is no startup sound. I'm a programmer, so software versions are everything. You think they can't change something as simple as a startup sound?
Actually they can't. There are two chimes. One is part of the IPC. That is the chime that's been built into Fords since ~2010 and sounds kinda Chip-tune-ish, it is generated by the same speaker as the turn signal and the Beltminder chime. The audio chime is generated by the ACM (Audio Control Module), which is the big grey box all your speakers are connected to, mounted directly below Sync in the Explorers. The IPC has a value you can set (it is on by default) that causes it to "Forward" door/startup/trouble/warning chimes to the ACM so that it then plays it over the speaker. As others have mentioned, you can literally pull Sync out of the car, start it, and the sounds will still play. However, if you've ever occasionally had your Explorer use the old chime, it's probably because you were sitting in it long enough with the ignition off, which caused Accessory power to be shut off. This means your ACM is unavailable, and when the IPC detected that, it preempted and played the chime itself.

Sync is really nothing more than a touch panel to send CAN commands to other modules, along with an XLR cable it shares with the ACM to send BT/USB audio and TTS voice. AFAIK there's no way for ACM firmware to be upgraded by Sync. Otherwise I'd have changed my Chime to the Lincoln one by now.

Also cool to see that this 3.0 update has the finalized Ford GT theme with a cooler font. I look forward to updating.

My Sync 2.2 build 16280 HN1T-14G381-LG, but wifi check update is updated, why it doesn't upgrade to build 17110 HN1T-14G381-SA.
Someone have downloaded 16280 HN1T-14G381-LG.zip, can upload for me (to downgrade if failt update from 16280 to 17110, 2.3.10 JL1T-14G381-AJ or 3.0 17276).
Ford remove link http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/owner-package/715283556826568730/HN1T-14G381-LG.zip
Thanks.

My software update history

If you are outside of North America, 2.3 may not be available for your vehicle yet. The 3.0 update is not an official release.

For anyone who’s having trouble with the usb method and is using a Mac, I noticed something when I did mine: Macs will automatically unzip the downloaded file, including the folder within that’s supposed to stay there. If you plug the usb into your Explorer without the expected file organization, it won’t be able to perform the update. Solve that problem by doing the following:
Step 1:
In the menu bar, go Safari -> Preferences. In the "General" tab, uncheck "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This will stop Safari from automatically unzipping the file as soon as it downloads.
Step 2:
Instead of using the built-in unzipping tool, download an app from the App Store called Stuffit Expander. The built in Mac OS utility will remove the folder that’s supposed to stay there, but the Stuffit app will maintain the correct file and folder organization. Once installed, the Stuffit utility is accessible when you right-click the zipped folder, then you can choose where to create the folder containing the unzipped files.

You may need to re-download the zipped file again after you complete step 1.
Bingo! @Chris-74, thanks for catching this.

I've been using the 3.0 build 17276 update on my '17 Explorer Platinum for several months now. My only criticism is the occasional to frequent choppy bluetooth telephone calls with both my iphone 7plus and now iphone X. Has anyone DOWNGRADED to the "new" official version 2.3 successfully? If so, how and did it help this issue?

Thanks!

I've been using the 3.0 build 17276 update on my '17 Explorer Platinum for several months now. My only criticism is the occasional to frequent choppy bluetooth telephone calls with both my iphone 7plus and now iphone X. Has anyone DOWNGRADED to the "new" official version 2.3 successfully? If so, how and did it help this issue?

Thanks!

I did a complete repairing after Master Reset and I have pretty robust BT connection.

My only issue with v3.0 is the WiFi pop-up window that I thought was gone

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you get a reply re the downloading of V2.3, please share that info with us. Many of us are on V2.0 and when we check for an updated version via the Sync screen, nothing is found. Thanks.

Peter
Hi Peter,
After many attempts to update to sync 2.3
I finally downloaded it on to a USB key, and installed it that way.
20180115_154643.jpg

I'm still request download and not yet start download for 2.3 update from 09/01/2018 have notification update.

Hi Peter,
After many attempts to update to sync 2.3
I finally downloaded it on to a USB key, and installed it that way.
Thanks. I finally got mine to download successfully last week but I've not been able to update the info on my account. Tried several times and it keeps coming back with "download unsuccessful" even though I have the correct XML file that the update put on the USB drive. So even though my Sync shows V2.3, my account still shows V2.0.:(
Update; it must have updated via WIFI. I just checked my account and it says I have the latest version with the date showing one day after I did the update.

Peter

I was update my Sync from 2.2 to 2.3, but i can't download by my VIN (always only have request download and error). I was read forscan important notes forum:
"4. Sync 3 (APIM module) sends its configuration changes to Ford. So if you change something there, Sync will send these changes when connects to the Internet, and after some time you can see them on Motorocraft site. So far there are no known outcomes of this (like loss of warranty), but it is important to known anyway."
Now i check with motocraftservice with my VIN 7D0-xx-xx change same the last configuration, maybe the reason i can't have download link.
I was compared value of 7D0-xx-xx with 2017 canada, 2017 us, 2016 us. Some value like 2017, some value same 2016,
7D0-01-02 x4xx xxxx xxxx NAV: 4=enabled (Sync 2), 2=enabled (Sync 3), 0=disabled (Sync 3)
My Explorer x4xx xxxx xxzz same with 2016. but 2017 us, ca are 7D0-01-02 x2xx xxxx xxxx.
I thing my Sync is last Sync2 upgrage to Sync3 software. In about Sync don't have Navgation Maps Version

Thanks!
I have not been able to downgrade from 3.0. Not that I am having any issues, but was trying to do a OTA Software update. kept showing timeout errors.

I have not been able to downgrade from 3.0. Not that I am having any issues, but was trying to do a OTA Software update. kept showing timeout errors.
Did you pull the 3.0 from Ford or another site? I'm having a heck of time getting 2.3 to update. I was thinking of 3.0 if I'm going to have this much trouble...

Did you pull the 3.0 from Ford or another site? I'm having a heck of time getting 2.3 to update. I was thinking of 3.0 if I'm going to have this much trouble...
The latest official Sync 3 version for the 2017 is V2.3. Not sure what the 2018 has. V3.0 is a dealer install only at this time although some members have installed it. There are links in this thread. I had to make several attempts to install V2.3 but it finally did although I have not had any success in reporting the successful update to my account.

Peter

The latest official Sync 3 version for the 2017 is V2.3. Not sure what the 2018 has. V3.0 is a dealer install only at this time although some members have installed it. There are links in this thread. I had to make several attempts to install V2.3 but it finally did although I have not had any success in reporting the successful update to my account.

Peter
Thanks for the info

2017 Platinum. Purchased fall 2017. Heard the buzz about Amazon Echo/Alexa integration. Thought I'd give it a whirl. I have decent wrenching and IT skills, so thinking this would be a breeze, ESPECIALLY since our last vehicle (Edge) had the massive Ford Fail in MFT. This would have to be better, right? Not real impressed, in fact, if MFT was a piece of crap (and it clearly was), I'd say sync 3 is mostly just a faster piece of crap. Now I can get about 4-5 wrong responses in the time it used to take for 1 wrong response. That is a comparison of using voice recognition to find an address or POI compared to using something like a PC based Google search engine. I really don't know how the Ford team can get it so wrong, but in any event, here are a few data points from attempting the Alexa interface at what turns out to be the Ford+Alexa app. Must be running V2.2 or higher for the Ford+Alexa app to work properly. So updated the sync 3 software from 2.0 to 2.3 per the instructions found on Ford's website. I think it worked. I have to say think, because of the horrible instructions and documentation of what the update includes. Other than the screen in the vehicle that now says 2.3, how would I know it "took"? Had these folks had a stellar track record with their infotainment systems, I probably wouldn't be questioning it. Putting things like "pay no attention to the "installation is complete" message that occurs a few minutes after the install begins" does not build a ton of confidence with the procedures. If you read other forums and watch the few self shot install videos on YouTube, you can immediately tell this Wizard of Oz comment of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" has done nothing other than inject doubt and confusion in to what should be insanely straight forward. Then they tell me it "could" take up to 60 minutes to install. From all the info I've read and watched, it seems the average install time is more like 15-20 minutes, so now we wonder if the "installation complete" message that what most of us see at the 15-20 minute point is the fake one. YGTBSM. Rewrite the code and get rid of the fake message! They also don't seem to have teams well versed in instructional or checklist writing techniques, but maybe they're just short of data when writing due to shoving software out the door with no testing? Wouldn't it be better to say something like "average installations take 15-20 minutes but in extreme cases (I don't even know what that would be?) it could take up to 60 minutes". I actually thought all this was supposed to happen automatically through WiFi, which it did not, and again, I'm quite sure I have all the switches and permissions set up correctly for that.

Short version with Alexa; have yet to get it to work. Phone is a Google Pixel 2. Everything in terms of app's, permissions, vehicle settings, etc is correct from what I can tell, but no luck. Was hoping to be able to listen to our Amazon music through this app but have already read some reviews from folks who have managed to get the Alexa app to work in their vehicles that the music piece has some pretty bad bugs/flaws. Great :mad: I also really would like to have a hands on, voice recognition, assistant that I can ask questions. I'm not sure why, because our in house experience with the Amazon system hasn't been that great either. IMO, Alexa has less than a good IQ; Google home on the other hand, seems to be "smarter" in side by side comparisons of the same questions, but I digress. So it appears you must have 2 apps on the phone; the Ford+Alexa app for the phone to vehicle interface and then the Amazon Alexa app which is used to set up basic functions on each of your Amazon Echo devices. You don't have to have the FordPass system/app unless you want the pay for service app that will allow you to remote start your vehicle (among other things) from your phone.

Has anyone running 2.3 (or the apparent beta/unauthorized/bootleg 3.0) had any luck running the Alexa app and if so, any meaningful lessons learned?

UPDATE: Alexa working. Found fix from someone on Lincoln MKC Forum. BLUF - after you install 2.3, do a master reset (MR). I tried absolutely everything else and it was down to the master reset as a last resort; it worked. Prior to MR with 2.3 loaded, I could see the Ford+Alexa app (that's one app with a confusing name) on my sync/vehicle screen and it was running, but the icon always stayed a brownish color. When it works, you'll get a white background with a blue circle near the top. I only have about 20 minutes of using the app and have noticed some pro and cons.
Pros
  1. Contrary to what others reported, the music fidelity streaming through Alexa and your Amazon Prime account is outstanding. There is no comparison with Sirius in terms of sound quality (Sirius sounds like my old '55 Merc AM radio). Audiophiles will appreciate this. I do not have a feel yet of how much data it uses to stream the audio. Once I gather some more data points, I will seriously consider dropping Sirius and spending that money on the Amazon Unlimited Music service.
  2. When its working correctly, the search engine is actually better than the autonomous onboard sync system and it gives you the option to navigate to the found POI's, e.g. "Alexa, (pause while she repeats the word "Alexa"), find McDonalds" She quickly comes back with several of the closest options and you can touch any, then "start" to begin navigating. Pretty nice. She also will read you the company info like hours of operation, etc.
Cons
  1. Seems to be some bugs in the code. If streaming music, the hands free steering wheel "Alexa" command does not work (consistently). You must manually go to the audio page and depress/release the "new" Alexa icon that shows up in the lower left corner of the screen for her to listen. Not an issue if you have not streamed music and this "bug" seems to be inconsistent.
  2. Something weird with the volume? Have to crank it up to hear Alexa speak and/or the streaming music. Not sure why.

That's a quick overview. Good luck.​

Peter
I was able to report my "success" from 2.0 to 2.3 to my account via the instructions, but found it strange (Ford standard apparently) that in the message that shows up on the status page, it has basically installation comments and instructions. Hmmmm. Not real meaningful at this point. It is also the only place that I have seen where Ford says once the install begins (my interpretation of that is once the installation message first shows up at the top of the screen) you can drive your vehicle. Interesting.

Thanks. Maybe I'll give the reporting another try. I tried several times to install V2.3 without success. Oddly enough the successful one came after I started the update after I began driving.

Pete

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2017 Platinum. Purchased fall 2017. Heard the buzz about Amazon Echo/Alexa integration. Thought I'd give it a whirl. I have decent wrenching and IT skills, so thinking this would be a breeze, ESPECIALLY since our last vehicle (Edge) had the massive Ford Fail in MFT. This would have to be better, right? Not real impressed, in fact, if MFT was a piece of crap (and it clearly was), I'd say sync 3 is mostly just a faster piece of crap. Now I can get about 4-5 wrong responses in the time it used to take for 1 wrong response. That is a comparison of using voice recognition to find an address or POI compared to using something like a PC based Google search engine. I really don't know how the Ford team can get it so wrong, but in any event, here are a few data points from attempting the Alexa interface at what turns out to be the Ford+Alexa app. Must be running V2.2 or higher for the Ford+Alexa app to work properly. So updated the sync 3 software from 2.0 to 2.3 per the instructions found on Ford's website. I think it worked. I have to say think, because of the horrible instructions and documentation of what the update includes. Other than the screen in the vehicle that now says 2.3, how would I know it "took"? Had these folks had a stellar track record with their infotainment systems, I probably wouldn't be questioning it. Putting things like "pay no attention to the "installation is complete" message that occurs a few minutes after the install begins" does not build a ton of confidence with the procedures. If you read other forums and watch the few self shot install videos on YouTube, you can immediately tell this Wizard of Oz comment of "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" has done nothing other than inject doubt and confusion in to what should be insanely straight forward. Then they tell me it "could" take up to 60 minutes to install. From all the info I've read and watched, it seems the average install time is more like 15-20 minutes, so now we wonder if the "installation complete" message that what most of us see at the 15-20 minute point is the fake one. YGTBSM. Rewrite the code and get rid of the fake message! They also don't seem to have teams well versed in instructional or checklist writing techniques, but maybe they're just short of data when writing due to shoving software out the door with no testing? Wouldn't it be better to say something like "average installations take 15-20 minutes but in extreme cases (I don't even know what that would be?) it could take up to 60 minutes". I actually thought all this was supposed to happen automatically through WiFi, which it did not, and again, I'm quite sure I have all the switches and permissions set up correctly for that.

Short version with Alexa; have yet to get it to work. Phone is a Google Pixel 2. Everything in terms of app's, permissions, vehicle settings, etc is correct from what I can tell, but no luck. Was hoping to be able to listen to our Amazon music through this app but have already read some reviews from folks who have managed to get the Alexa app to work in their vehicles that the music piece has some pretty bad bugs/flaws. Great :mad: I also really would like to have a hands on, voice recognition, assistant that I can ask questions. I'm not sure why, because our in house experience with the Amazon system hasn't been that great either. IMO, Alexa has less than a good IQ; Google home on the other hand, seems to be "smarter" in side by side comparisons of the same questions, but I digress. So it appears you must have 2 apps on the phone; the Ford+Alexa app for the phone to vehicle interface and then the Amazon Alexa app which is used to set up basic functions on each of your Amazon Echo devices. You don't have to have the FordPass system/app unless you want the pay for service app that will allow you to remote start your vehicle (among other things) from your phone.

Has anyone running 2.3 (or the apparent beta/unauthorized/bootleg 3.0) had any luck running the Alexa app and if so, any meaningful lessons learned?

I, along with many others here on this forum know exactly what you're talking about. Many of us suffered through the bad years of MFT only to have our hopes dashed with a mediocre SYNC3 replacement.

You are correct about the poor upgrade instructions and lack of any user feedback when attempting an update of any kind.

I have yet to upgrade anything using WiFi to my home network. I have always still used a USB drive to do all SYNC3 updating.

How about the fact that many of us who bought expensive extra hardware for the Ford Remote Start App to work were left hanging for half a year while they decided if they would update the smartphone App to work with the new smartphone iOS11. I paid for half a year of a program I couldnt use.

I'm not sure why Ford IVT is such a disaster, one would think after all the negative press with MFT, the fact that the CEO of Ford punched the MFT screen of his vehicle, and Bill Ford himself had his navigation go out on him that they would strive to be the leaders with in-vehicle multimedia systems.

SYNC3 is just OK, their smartphone integration is just OK, but after using the competition I would have to give higher marks to GM MyLink and FCA U-Connect systems as they are far superior in every way.

Back