• Register Today It's free!

Factory Heated Seat question....

Brian Jordan

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited V8
I bought a 2010 4.6L Limited a couple of months back and love it. A lot more comfortable, nimble and easier on fuel than my '06 F150 FX4 SCrew it replaced. No real issues to speak of. Still getting used to the shifting characteristics of the 6R60 trans....not sure I'll ever like the torque converter lock up feature in ever gear (makes it feel a little lazy during light acceleration), but otherwise no real complaints.

Anyway, I'm noticing my OEM seats seem erratic in temperature. One moment they're toasty warm and others they kind of just kind of maintain a moderate temp. Have the factory elements got some sort of regulator in them to safeguard them from overheating or something? I mean, its not a deal breaker...but I'd like to make them more consistent if possible. My GF's BMW X3 will nearly singe the skin from your back end if you leave them on...to the point where you've got turn them down a little. Well, adjustability doesn't seem to be an option for the Explorer. OFF and ON seem to be the only two choices.

So...what's the deal. Is this normal? If not, is there a fix, or a work around anyone is aware of?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well for One thing your torque converter should not be locking up in every gear, on the six speed I believe it is just fourth fifth and sixth

Well for One thing your torque converter should not be locking up in every gear, on the six speed I believe it is just fourth fifth and sixth
The 6R60/ 6R80 are capable of locking up the torque converter in every gear.

And in 2010, you have 6R80

Yeah I haven't driven a 6R80 Explorer, but the 6R80 in my dad's Expedition locks up every gear, holds the lock nicely and will do a complete downshift more often than my 6R60. My 6R60 seems to favor unlocking the torque converter a lot more. IMO it's better for the health of the transmission to downshift and lock than unlock in a higher gear.

As for the heated seats question I have no idea as my Explorer does not have them :(

Funny you should mention.....my 2006 does the same thing. I figured it was regulating the voltage through the heater coil to keep it from overheating, but I haven't found written evidence of this.

Tim

Mine burns your a$$ at first then levels out and maintains a comfortable temperature.

My understanding is that the heated seats use input from the EATC to determine how hot they get. So if you have your heater cranked on a cold day, you get your a$$ burnt, but on a not-so-cold day with the heater at a moderate level, your buns get lightly toasted.

You might play with your heater settings to see what that does to your seat temperature.

Torque convertor locking sooner and more often is a ploy that helps that fuel efficiency that you like over the F150. I just wish I could hold 5th gear while towing, but the OD lockout forces you down to 4th. I end up leaving OD on, as long as it's not hunting, and trans temp stays in control.

As far as the heated seats, I never leave them on long enough to find out. As soon as it's comfortable, I turn mine off, and my own body temp seems to maintain just fine.

Like the op, noticed that the heated seats in my 06 did not seem to be up to the task any longer. Switches illuminate but little or no heat.
So I pulled out my shop manuals and wiring diagrams. This is what (I think) applies to a 2006, doubt that much if anything changed up to 2010.
The only components for the heated seats are the switch, wiring and heated pads. Power is supplied by 2 sources. Fuse #F28 (20 amp) in the battery junction box is for key on, engine off position. Run/start relay and fuse F18 (10 amp) in the smart junction box when engine is keyed on. When a switch is pressed, power (voltage) is applied to a bi-metallic thermostat that is part of the seat cushion heater mat. The backrest heater mat is wired in series with the cushion mat.
Of course its much more complicated that this and since I'm no electrical wizard, the above is what appears to apply. There is only a power wire and ground wire at each heater pad connection. I wasn't about to pull the seats out (too damn cold and wet outside), this will have to wait for warmer weather if I decide to actually try and replace any components.
The wiring from the switches is in a harness that also feeds the inertia fuel shutoff switch. This is located in the front passenger side kick panel for any that do not know where it is. (Big red push button) So I pulled up the front rocker panel trim, pulled up the lower part of the door seal at bottom of A pillar and then pulled off the kick panel. No tools required other that maybe a pry tool. You will see a big 16 pin connector and just above and behind is a large ground connection/screw and the connector to the inertia switch.
The 16 pin connecter (C213) has a pale yellow/blue stripe power wire for the drivers seat. (pin #1) The power wire for the passenger seat is gray with a light blue stripe. (pin#9) These pins are side by side and at 1 end of the connecter. I pulled the connecter apart and checked these pins for voltage. Measured 11.99 volts with engine off on both pins.
So this tells me that the switch is ok, and any problem is downstream of C213 and most likely a faulty drivers side seat cushion pad.

At this time I'm not likely to pursue this any farther. Checked out the heater pad prices (not cheap) and really don't want to pull the seats apart, so this is where it probably ends for me. Hope this info is of help for anyone with non functioning heated seats.

And the EATC is not connected to the heated seats on a 2006 model Explorer/Mountaineer.

Like the op, noticed that the heated seats in my 06 did not seem to be up to the task any longer. Switches illuminate but little or no heat.
So I pulled out my shop manuals and wiring diagrams. This is what (I think) applies to a 2006, doubt that much if anything changed up to 2010.
The only components for the heated seats are the switch, wiring and heated pads. Power is supplied by 2 sources. Fuse #F28 (20 amp) in the battery junction box is for key on, engine off position. Run/start relay and fuse F18 (10 amp) in the smart junction box when engine is keyed on. When a switch is pressed, power (voltage) is applied to a bi-metallic thermostat that is part of the seat cushion heater mat. The backrest heater mat is wired in series with the cushion mat.
Of course its much more complicated that this and since I'm no electrical wizard, the above is what appears to apply. There is only a power wire and ground wire at each heater pad connection. I wasn't about to pull the seats out (too damn cold and wet outside), this will have to wait for warmer weather if I decide to actually try and replace any components.
The wiring from the switches is in a harness that also feeds the inertia fuel shutoff switch. This is located in the front passenger side kick panel for any that do not know where it is. (Big red push button) So I pulled up the front rocker panel trim, pulled up the lower part of the door seal at bottom of A pillar and then pulled off the kick panel. No tools required other that maybe a pry tool. You will see a big 16 pin connector and just above and behind is a large ground connection/screw and the connector to the inertia switch.
The 16 pin connecter (C213) has a pale yellow/blue stripe power wire for the drivers seat. (pin #1) The power wire for the passenger seat is gray with a light blue stripe. (pin#9) These pins are side by side and at 1 end of the connecter. I pulled the connecter apart and checked these pins for voltage. Measured 11.99 volts with engine off on both pins.
So this tells me that the switch is ok, and any problem is downstream of C213 and most likely a faulty drivers side seat cushion pad.

At this time I'm not likely to pursue this any farther. Checked out the heater pad prices (not cheap) and really don't want to pull the seats apart, so this is where it probably ends for me. Hope this info is of help for anyone with non functioning heated seats.

And the EATC is not connected to the heated seats on a 2006 model Explorer/Mountaineer.
Do you think anything is regulating the pads such as that bi metallic thermostat? Mine like others get very hot then cool down a bit.

Yes, that is exactly how it is regulated. When the bi-metal opens, no voltage = no heat. When the bi-metal closes, voltage = heat.
The thermostat opens and closes to maintain a set temperature. I have not found the info yet as to what that temp limit is.
Crude method of regulating.

Yes, that is exactly how it is regulated. When the bi-metal opens, no voltage = no heat. When the bi-metal closes, voltage = heat.
The thermostat opens and closes to maintain a set temperature. I have not found the info yet as to what that temp limit is.
Awesome. Thank you so much for the info! Sounds like mine is working as designed. Hope yours gets sorted!

Back