Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Hey Alptbird, I have not heard any noises coming from the suspension lift in the few months I have been driving with the kit on. The front swaybar spacer has that small lip on it, so that when it's installed it snugs up pretty tight around where the factory swaybar would be bolted. I could see the rear spacer making some noises, but again, I haven't heard a peep from it yet. What I have noticed is the usual increase in body roll when cornering, and the steering doesn't feel as crisp and responsive. However I've also mounted larger tires with pretty aggressive tread, those contribute to most of the steering feel, vibrations, etc.

I've only towed a heavy load (about 3500 lbs) once with the traxda kit installed, and it performed well. I don't recall a lot of sagging, but then again the load really wasn't that heavy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update on the bags they installed pretty easy. As did the pump. At 5lbs of pressure the ride does not change but the rake is slightly higher. As for its help with saggy butt syndrome it is awesome. It raises and stiffens the rear perfect for a loaded trailer. At 15 lbs of air pressure unloaded you get an inch and half lift out of it. Which makes for one ugly rake. It took 35lbs to level the explorer with a 4300 lb weight (measured on a scale) trailer. It rode like a Cadillac...no issues with control or power, though I was pushing the brakes limits on a down hill grade.

So, will airlift air bags lift the back of the explorer, yes, will you want to drive around every day with them pumped up.... NO.

Looks like a lift/leveling kit for the front is a must. And maybe the whole kit while retaining the bags for the special towing situations.

Thought I would share. Kinda wished I had the lift kit today it would have been moments more to install the rear kit. Thanks jce132 for your experience with the lift.

Hey everyone,

I joined the explorer group getting a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited recently. I been lurking here for awhile reading up on some aftermarket changes. I had a couple questions for everyone after searching and reading some of the threads

For some reference I had lifted trucks, SUV's, and Jeeps.

And last questions! Has any more people lifted their 2016+ explorers withe Traxda 2" lift? I've seen the SEMA one that was posted on here, but it's hard to judge difference in height since those wheels and tire are different.

I do a lot of hiking, camping, offroading (I don't offroad to much anymore-too many people sitting on trails) and it was a little embarrassing scraping on a curb which I've never had with any of my lifted vehicle obviously.

Thank you all for your replies!

Bumping to see if we can get some updates from folks that have been running this lift for the last couple years. Everything I see seems to be short lifespan reviews with no issues outside Akmechanic's case so I'm hoping we can get some more contributions.

Paging the following I've seen post initial lift results hoping they can stop back for a moment:
@OKExplorerSport, @KlausJ, @danbman64, @Bowne24, @aLLSTaR Explorer, @Pwerdbybeard , @RBNASLT, @dangelj316, @JAPAPIA, @ve2zyc, @jce132, @Andres R, @Frankie Pham, @Mr. Jonas

It seems a lot of folks moved away from stock rims and/or downsized due to tire selection or cost, but does anyone know the largest tire you can fit on the stock 20" (sport) rims?

Edit: The tire question is in regards to a lifted vehicle and not a basic “what can fit on the rim?”. Please leave alone where it is more pertinent to the topic in hand.

Thanks,

Bumping to see if we can get some updates from folks that have been running this lift for the last couple years. Everything I see seems to be short lifespan reviews with no issues outside Akmechanic's case so I'm hoping we can get some more contributions.

Paging the following I've seen post initial lift results hoping they can stop back for a moment:
@OKExplorerSport, @KlausJ, @danbman64, @Bowne24, @aLLSTaR Explorer, @Pwerdbybeard , @RBNASLT, @dangelj316, @JAPAPIA, @ve2zyc, @jce132, @Andres R, @Frankie Pham, @Mr. Jonas

Thanks,
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just FYI, danbman64 was last seen here May 14, 2015. RBNALST, dangelj316 and JAPAPIA were last here over a year ago.

Peter

I am going to be installing the traxada 2.25” front 1.5” rear lift/level in the next couple days. I will try and get some before and after pictures. I am not changing my wheels or tires yet. The air bags did what I needed as far as towing. But I still want the clearance. And a more level look. But I am getting the wheel refinished, so it my be silver vs black wheels.

Finished the install today, I will post up some pictures before and after when I get day light. I would have been able to post some today but me and my infinite wisdom pulled a Homer Simpson and forgot to release the drive shaft and fubared the driver front half shaft. By the time I got it from the part store it was 6pm and dark. So, a fair comparison pic will be taken tomorrow morning. I also painted the wheels satin black after refinishing them. So that is part of my delay too. But on the preliminary measurements, pre-alignment, I picked up 1 1/2 up front and 1 3/4 in the rear. This is a 2 1/4 front lift and 1 1/2 in the rear.... math is a little odd, but I imagine the air bags in the rear are adding to it as well. Camber and toe actually looks pretty good with the plates I use for my track car. So not sure there will be much change.

Side note stock ride quality... no. Not bad but stiffer. Front end for sure

Finished the install today, I will post up some pictures before and after when I get day light. I would have been able to post some today but me and my infinite wisdom pulled a Homer Simpson and forgot to release the drive shaft and fubared the driver front half shaft. By the time I got it from the part store it was 6pm and dark. So, a fair comparison pic will be taken tomorrow morning. I also painted the wheels satin black after refinishing them. So that is part of my delay too. But on the preliminary measurements, pre-alignment, I picked up 1 1/2 up front and 1 3/4 in the rear. This is a 2 1/4 front lift and 1 1/2 in the rear.
and here are the pictures

FE148F83-EA54-486D-A8EF-DB9CC86879D1.jpeg

DA8F5C10-F465-48AE-A7FF-4980FB991522.jpeg

F3FFC994-C92B-412C-840E-C79DA84379BD.jpeg

HAs anyone experienced a low speed Shimmy after installing the Lift kit? it happens between 15 and 30 mph below and above that it is steady as a rock.

Driver side half shaft.... problem solved.

Hey guys, sorry its been a while. I've had the lift installed for a while now and I'm starting to have some problems. I started getting a lot of front end noise so I took it into FORD to get it looked at (pay $100 FORD fixes anything warranty). They ended up calling a lower control arm and strut bad on the right front. It was nice and tight for a while but then the link connecting my sway bar to the right front lower control arm snapped at one of the knuckles. So I took it back to FORD and they fixed it for free. It was good again for a while but i'm starting to get noise again. I'm leaning towards the links that connect the sway bar to the lower control arms on both sides. Been thinking about getting something like this:

Tuff Country Sway Bar End Links

Not too expensive, and it would be tougher than the plastic ball joints on the sway bar links. Anybody have something like this installed on their Explorers? Thanks guys!

Hey guys, sorry its been a while. I've had the lift installed for a while now and I'm starting to have some problems. I started getting a lot of front end noise so I took it into FORD to get it looked at (pay $100 FORD fixes anything warranty). They ended up calling a lower control arm and strut bad on the right front. It was nice and tight for a while but then the link connecting my sway bar to the right front lower control arm snapped at one of the knuckles. So I took it back to FORD and they fixed it for free. It was good again for a while but i'm starting to get noise again. I'm leaning towards the links that connect the sway bar to the lower control arms on both sides. Been thinking about getting something like this:

Tuff Country Sway Bar End Links

Not too expensive, and it would be tougher than the plastic ball joints on the sway bar links. Anybody have something like this installed on their Explorers? Thanks guys!
Can you clarify what do you mean by "a while"? I have had the lift and new wheels/tires for 1,500 miles and everything is looking good for now. Thanks,

Can you clarify what do you mean by "a while"? I have had the lift and new wheels/tires for 1,500 miles and everything is looking good for now. Thanks,
I think he means its been a while since he last posted (Jan. 11, 2016).

Peter

Driver side half shaft.... problem solved.
I was wondering if you could tell me what is the mechanics behind releasing the shaft. I did it because it was in the directions but I really have no clue for the reasoning. Thanks,

I was wondering if you could tell me what is the mechanics behind releasing the shaft. I did it because it was in the directions but I really have no clue for the reasoning. Thanks,
I am assuming you mean the releasing of the half shaft when installing the lift kit?
If you don't release it, it is possible the half will separate inside the boot next to the trans.(inner joint) This will cause the need to rebuild the shaft. Most of the time they don't just pop back together, it can happen, but highly unlikely. usually one of the ball bearings the main shaft rides on will fall and partially block it from pushing back in.

What’s the largest lift made for the 5th gen? I see the Traxda but also see on eBay a front 3”. Anyone running the 3”

I think the 3” is the biggest. You run out of available drive shaft angle and suspension travel beyond that. And 3” from what I see is right at the edge of dependability. There will be accessive wear or premature wear in that area. Drive shafts/CVs. Just aren’t built for that much angle.

That makes sense. Anyone know if the truxxx kit or the Traxda kit fits the sport better.

basically the same thing for all explorer models. should have the same camber degree adjustments in the top plate and all. just got to make sure and orient the spacers the right way or the camber will be way positive.
Edit:
I can only speak for the quality I see on the Traxada kit. but it is well built and fits well. even the welds are clean on the spacer plates. and not that it matters but you can customize your kits color from Traxada. or get the standard red.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

basically the same thing for all explorer models. should have the same camber degree adjustments in the top plate and all. just got to make sure and orient the spacers the right way or the camber will be way positive.?

How long has your kit been installed any issues and what tire wheel combo are you running

Back