Ordered My New 2018 Explorer | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered My New 2018 Explorer

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I lease all my vehicles but even that is no different than ordering/buying one. Most everything is negotiable. Check the incentives that are available. You can take the incentive in place at the time of your order or when you take ownership if it is better. The price agreed upon when the order is signed is the price you and the dealership agree on depending upon the incentive part. I would think that unless something unforeseen occurs, that would be the final price, again depending upon the incentives. As for advertising fees, I can't help you there. I've never seen advertising fees listed on any contract I've ever signed here.
Go to ford.com and use the "Build & Price" feature to get an idea of the MRSP.
Using the 'Search' feature upper right, I found these threads that may be helpful;
2017 Sport Prices Paid
purchasing a 2016, rebate and pricing question
What is everyone paying for their 16 Explorer's? I just put a deposit down.
Is this a good deal on a new Explorer?

Peter
Thank you Peter - I ordered a new 2018 Explorer Limited on Oct 21st - Ford accepted the order on the 24th of Oct. I received information that it was going to built on the week of the 18th and would be delivered to dealer Jan 16th - just received a new notification that the delivery date has now changed to Jan 6th.
I have always ordered the vehicles I purchase - if your not in a rush, get all the items you want on it from the factory - delivery times are starting to become shorter in interval since there are not as my 17 's they need to move.
My purchase was based on an X-Plan costing, took the trade off amount for my 13 Explorer and then figured the sales tax on the remaining amount, there are Ford cash initiatives, financing one,s deals fro BJ's and Costco and other cash incentives, I Got another $2,750 off after the X-Price discount and that holds unless something better comes along before I take ownership. Leasing I have to sit down with the dealer - he ran some numbers and everything was based off the MSRP and not the X=-Plan pricing which it should be - on top of that they added sales taxes - 2 hits with no explination, but the amount covers the money from my tradin which should not incur any sales tax, at least in New York and didn't figure in the additional incentives. I intend to have a buy back amount equivalent to what my balance is if I traded the car and paid off the rest.
Advertising is usually lumped into on fee figure - Dealer Prep it shows on the DORA form on the bottom - base car, options, transport, special savings and cost of special options. There is a fuel charge of 42.37 and an advertising assessment of 248. . When they set up the bill/purchase agreement it has the selling agreement (cost you agreed on) say 48k trade in say 19k for a taxable balance of 29K, add tax on the 29K2573, tire exchange 12.50, dealers fee 81, inspection 10 for as total of 31671 minus a deposit of 2k and rebates of 2750 leaves balance out the door of 26,927
Leasing should be the same - if your trading in a vehicle - lease based in negotiated price, the reduced further by the trade in value (no tax should be charged on that) the reduce the monthly payments - take your grand total and it should be somewhere in the same amount that you would have left if you purchased. And the bargain hard to get the next highest mileage plan at no extra costs and throw in the damage wavier This will be my 6th Explorer and I love if. Best of luck.

Vinny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 10, and I'm still waiting for delivery. Here's what COTUS has told me so far:

Ordered on: 8/10/2017
VIN assigned: 9/15/2017
In production: 11/8/2017
Window sticker: 11/9/2017
Built on: 11/16/2016

It's been more than two weeks since my Explorer was assembled, and COTUS still shows status as "Awaiting Shipment". I have to wonder if it's being held in Chicago for some reason.

I ordered my 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 10, and I'm still waiting for delivery. Here's what COTUS has told me so far:

It's been more than two weeks since my Explorer was assembled, and COTUS still shows status as "Awaiting Shipment". I have to wonder if it's being held in Chicago for some reason.
Could be due to an insufficient number of vehicles to be shipped or lack of transport availability.

Peter

Don't worry. Sometimes cars get assigned for intensive track testing before shipping for a couple weeks. They'll just reset your odometer beforehand, and likely, you'll also get new tires put on too.

Don't worry. Sometimes cars get assigned for intensive track testing before shipping for a couple weeks. They'll just reset your odometer beforehand, and likely, you'll also get new tires put on too.
Never heard of them resetting the odometer or putting new tires on it. All they do is attach a note to the vehicle saying it had undergone testing at the factory to explain the mileage on it.

Peter

Neither have I -- but I did just read a story where Mercedes rented a Tesla, reverse engineered it for two months and then returned it in a very damaged state. I was making a joke, I hope :)

I went to a local dealer today and got a quote for a 2018 sport that would be custom ordered with a MSRP of 53,110. Minus the 1,500 rebate and my price is 48,920 (seems a little high to me). Add to that a processing fee of 689.50 and tax/licensing = the final price. Does this seem high and what is in the processing fee?

I'd say if you were paying in Canadian dollars that would be a great deal. Every dealer varies a great deal between states and countries has it's own way of charging fees. Sometimes it that can be negotiated or waived. I believe I paid a $400 doc fee but they tried to get my on some security tags/markings/wheel locks that had already been done and I said I didn't want it and so they waived it. $700USD seems high for doc fees.

Mine was about 11% below MSRP after a Ford Employee Discount and the Costco rebate -- and I got a 2017 Sport in August 2016 -- they were literally just starting to show up. You can try the math and see if it works in your case, but if you can wait... that's the time to bite. Just make sure your Costco membership is active the month BEFORE the promotion starts. That prevents people from signing up just to save an instant $1000.

I went to a local dealer today and got a quote for a 2018 sport that would be custom ordered with a MSRP of 53,110. Minus the 1,500 rebate and my price is 48,920 (seems a little high to me). Add to that a processing fee of 689.50 and tax/licensing = the final price. Does this seem high and what is in the processing fee?

You're buying at the start of a model year of a car that's selling extremely well... screaming deal? Probably not. I'd be trying to negotiate some of those fees away myself. But I did the same thing, unfortunately I had to unload the car I had at the time or I would have waited. I only netted something similar in rebates, but I also had FMC employee a-plan to work with.

In my case, I wasn't in a rush... in fact I only bought the Explorer because it was a perfect storm. The Costco promo ran from July through August 2016 -- two whole months. In July the interest rate was 3.9%, but in August it dropped to 1.9%. So that's when I pulled the trigger. Canada generally has higher interest rates than the US for auto loans. My understanding is that the Explorers were pretty low inventory so they extended the offer to the 2017s as well, even though they were literally hot the press.

Go back through some of the threads here that deal with pricing. There are members here who have dealers willing to do invoice, some even touch holdback which is very rare.

See if you qualify for X-Plan pricing it's not a bad deal and all the fees are preset by Ford the dealer cant modify.

Educate yourself on sites like 2018 Ford Explorer SUV Pricing - For Sale | Edmunds

I am about to order one and offer one price to whoever wants to quote me on the car. I won't pay anything more than my fixed price (no last minute "fees"). I also am going to take a minimum amount for my trade (I know what it is worth). I may lease and I will calculate what this vehicle will be worth in 3 years (low mileage user) so I am going in prepared. I have great credit so they can't beat me with a bogus interest rate.

I am about to order one and offer one price to whoever wants to quote me on the car. I won't pay anything more than my fixed price (no last minute "fees"). I also am going to take a minimum amount for my trade (I know what it is worth). I may lease and I will calculate what this vehicle will be worth in 3 years (low mileage user) so I am going in prepared. I have great credit so they can't beat me with a bogus interest rate.
If looking to lease, the end cost or residual value will be on the lease contract and the low mileage option will affect that in a positive way. I'm not sure but I believe that residual value cannot be changed by the dealership once determined by the vehicle and its options. All my leases have had the lowest mileage selected and then even with that I don't come close to that figure. My lease allows for approx. 10k miles per year and I put on just over 3k. The residual is approx. $25k on a $60k vehicle after 4 years.

Peter

The hard number to figure is the residual value. I figure after 3 years the car should hold 50% of its value. Peter, what percentage did they use for your explorer?

The hard number to figure is the residual value. I figure after 3 years the car should hold 50% of its value. Peter, what percentage did they use for your explorer?
If I figured it out correctly it was around 42% on a 4 year lease. My 2014 MKT retained about 56% value on a 3 year lease.

Peter

Good luck I will be interested to see what the dealers say. Your going in on one of the fastest selling vehicles in that class and dealers will often hold out knowing it's going to sell anyways.

Good luck I will be interested to see what the dealers say. Your going in on one of the fastest selling vehicles in that class and dealers will often hold out knowing it's going to sell anyways.
I am thinking that since it's a Platinum (in short supply but short demand) I may have some bargaining power. I am also ready to walk and continue driving my current car. I am waiting until just after Christmas where they might want to bargain more to close out the year.

I am thinking that since it's a Platinum (in short supply but short demand) I may have some bargaining power. I am also ready to walk and continue driving my current car. I am waiting until just after Christmas where they might want to bargain more to close out the year.
The end of a month is a good time also in order to meet sales targets. In Canada now there is the $1000 Costco rebate plus first 3 months in payments (up to a total of $1500) as incentives.

Peter

I am figuring that I will pay 90% of sticker. The residual value is 57% after 3 years. Money is 2.24% I found a car but it is 1700 miles away! Working with my dealer now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my 2018 Explorer Platinum in Burgundy Velvet on Nov 28th.
The COTUS website shows current delivery on Feb 7th.
My current ride is a 2017 Platinum in Blue Jeans
My previous rides were
2014 Edge Sport in Black
2013 Edge Sport in White

I'm looking forward to the Sync Connect system (which I was disappointed about not having it in my 2017)
The only option I added was the running boards, now my wife won't complain about climbing in and out.

Back