• Register Today It's free!

Best Battery

95exploresport

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
wcarroll28@q.com
Ok all you Explorer enthusiast, What is the Best Battery out there for our 1998 4.0 SOHC 4X4 Trucks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh boy, here we go with the opinions. That's a hard question to answer. Some like Motorcraft (I don't), some like Interstate, some like WalMart, I've had good luck with Napa, some like DieHard, some are fond of AGS batteries... take your pick.

Sorry Man!, I did a search on this site for the same Battery info and it came up Dead, Which I thought had to be wrong.
Did the same search on Google and it came up with Our Explorer site that did a survey. (Forum needs to update search engine)..... Best battery for 98 Explorer 4.0

Thank-You End of discussion..... :) Happy Holidays!

^ Some opinions of Optima have changed since that 2006-07 poll. Search, this is one of MANY different battery threads.

Optima batteries junk now?

I put a Sams Series 65S 700CCA {650 is the spec} battery in my '98 when I needed one. It was installed for a few years when I sold the car in September of last year. Paid about $100 for it. Was it the 'best' battery? Probably not. Was it the 'worst' battery? Probably not. But it worked fine for me.

Deka / East Penn. Made in USA. Their stuff is good.

Deka is not Johnson Controls, which makes most other battery brands available in North America (including now Optima, which they bought about 10 years ago). Some people say that's when Optima started going downhill. I don't know. I owned an "old" Optima (2001-2009) and it was great.

I had a transport truck 950cca, worked amazing, was twice the size of a normal battery mounted in my trunk, used to boost cars on cold mornings also

I doubt it's the best but works good in my explorer...For around 100 bucks from Walmart,
it's 6 years old and still holding good charge... The post's stay real clean also, don't know if it's because of the battery , the cover on terminals, the plastic cover over the battery, the felt around the posts, the charging system in this truck, or a combination of them...I figure if it makes it another winter it did good...I know when this one does go I'll replace it with the same one...JMHO

Dw88jLz.jpg
5IsYo4k.jpg
UUwEghh.jpg

I have a that same Walmart Maxx battery in my Sport Trac. It came with the truck and is dated 5/2013. It's never given me any trouble and it's now approaching 5 years old. I may replace it this spring, or I may just wait until it dies (kinda like the way I feel about my Sport Trac in general). For the price (under $100) how can you beat it? That's also about the same price I paid for the Napa batteries I put in my Explorer and Mountaineer.

^^^ Those are $25 off at my closest Sam's until December25th, so they are $144 52 currently :thumbsup:

Saw that Toy. Good deal, but ends 12/25. I believe YOU gave the first heads up on the Duracell AGM a while back.

No telling how much longer my DieHard P-2 will last. Maybe i should buy the Sam's Club Duracell AGM store it?

Kirkland battery here...been running strong about 5 years now, and Costco has the best return/warranty policy.

For what it's worth, the original, 13-1/2 year old Motorcraft battery on my 2004 Crown Vic is still going strong. Anyone knows who makes those?

Maybe i should buy the Sam's Club Duracell AGM store it?

I am kinda looking at batteries right now. My current Diehard gold might become an issue sometime soon.

The closest Sam's Club to me is 80 miles away. That might be a hassle if I have problems :dunno:

Currently, I am looking at a NAPA Legend for $88 (employee discount via a friend) or a black top Interstate for $120. Both available locally.

Cringe to think of buying a battery from Wally's, but that 65 looks damn good for $100.

850 CCA, with 3 year replacement + 2 year pro rated warranty sounds like a no brainer.

Cringe to think of buying a battery from Wally's, but that 65 looks damn good for $100.

850 CCA, with 3 year replacement + 2 year pro rated warranty sounds like a no brainer.

Yeah, that Sam's Club AGM sounds tempting at $144, but no Sam's Club where I live. I've gotta Walmart and a Napa though. Their conventional lead/acid batteries are both under $100 with a decent warranty.

Like I said at the beginning of this thread, there are lots of choices and lots of opinions.

BTW Steve, you can delete your own dupl posts. Just EDIT and there's an option at the bottom to delete. I do it regularly.

Actually, the EverStart Maxx gets some pretty good marks from some Consumer studies. I've been running them in three of my vehicles for some years now and they hold up well in the cold MN winters. Warranty seems to be among the best, too.

Car Battery Review - Best Car Batteries

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok all you Explorer enthusiast, What is the Best Battery out there for our 1998 4.0 SOHC 4X4 Trucks?

What ever you do, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT buy an EVERSTART Battery from WalMart!! The Shops I have talked to, call them NEVER START! One '04 Explorer came in with PATS, Misfire and some other issues. It had a 6 month old "Never Start" and the battery was intermittently dropping by about 4 to 8 volts with no "prodding"! It screwed up the PATS to the point it had to be reprogrammed with the FORD IDS, factory level tool!

Everyone I've talked to says DURASTART, DIEHARD, INTERSTATE, OPTIMA and the major brands are the way to go and what ever you decide, please DO NOT decide on Wal Mart's NEVERSTART!! I bought a 2005 Taurus from a fellow who works at Wal Mart andhe had recently installed a new INTERSTATE battery in it. I asked him about it and he said, "I've heard about our NEVER START pieces of crap!". I took that as my final convincing statement!

All The Best!

Back