Brake shoe and diff fluids..... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The seal shouldn't leak if it's not old(hard), and the axle surfaces are smooth for both the seal and bearings. If you did it already, than maybe the seal got nicked or damaged at some point, and a new seal shouldn't do that again. It sounds like the axle needs to come back out, and look everything over again, replacing the seal at least.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any small deformation in the running face of the shaft may cause a new seal to leak.

You would be surprised what rubber can do to a steel shaft.

Are there any grooves or notches on the face of the axle shaft that you could hang a finger nail on?

Can you post a picture?

to answer your question about the rear brakes over adjusting them selves , the adjuster is spring loaded & can only ratchet if there is play in the brakes, once the brake shoes get tight when in use the adjuster will not be able to ratchet & thus not able to over adjust them . . I must stress to take apart the adjusting screw , clean the threads , then put anti seize on the threads every time you replace the rear brake shoes . I install new ones & all new hardware myself . I pull my bass boat with my ex & it stops on a dime . Please prelube the next rear seal . live & learn , we all do it . no biggie . good luck

to answer your question about the rear brakes over adjusting them selves , the adjuster is spring loaded & can only ratchet if there is play in the brakes, once the brake shoes get tight when in use the adjuster will not be able to ratchet & thus not able to over adjust them . . I must stress to take apart the adjusting screw , clean the threads , then put anti seize on the threads every time you replace the rear brake shoes . I install new ones & all new hardware myself . I pull my bass boat with my ex & it stops on a dime . Please prelube the next rear seal . live & learn , we all do it . no biggie . good luck

That makes sense. Good breakdown. Thanks. I always do the anti seize thing side I have had the exploder. When no first got it the guy I bought it from drive it to me for me to view...with one hanging up caliper that had pads down to the show backing and more than a few grooves in the rotors. The rear brakes were seized up to the point they were not even functioning. That was just under 300, 000 kms ago. It was also my first experience with drum brakes. I never new about the adjusters being automatic though. Always thought that tab was there just to hold the star wheel to where you set it. Wasn't aware it could adjust on its own.

All that being said. Do you have to periodically roll it in reverse and pump the brakes to readjust it does it actually Do it on its own with daily driving?

I'll be pull in the axle and putting a new seal on in the next few days. Have had nothing but overtime at work the last week so have had no time to tackle.

I'll post pics of axle shaft then. I'm going to Go to pick a part this weekend regardless and bringing home the prettiest axle shaft I pull out of the 9 first gen explorers that are there. I think come spring I'm going to swap the back end out for a second gen (?) rear end with disc brakes. I can handle from brake work but I really don't like it. If I can go all disc in gonna. Thanks again for all the replies and input guys.
IB47

Darn ya got me right off, dark now as I just got through blowing s_ow (4 letter word). Would be good if it's brakes, but not counting on it. I'll check and get back tomorrow.
Sure 'nuf appreciate the come back, good to have back up!!
BTW, this is one of the best forums as I've used it quite a bit for searching threads as I fix the wife's '97 Exploder too.

How's the battle of north going man? Haven't heard from you back yet....

It will adjust enough with just daily driving . its snowing here today , not sticking on the roads . Im an industrial maintenance mechanic myself & i know all too well about the overtime . when the plant is shut down is when we work the most .

you can also get a speedy sleeve for the seal wear part of the axle. the sleeve is so thin that it won't harm the seal for being so tight very thin.
roscoe

All that being said. Do you have to periodically roll it in reverse and pump the brakes to readjust it does it actually Do it on its own with daily driving?

During first assembly I'll put the drums on and manually adjust the star wheel from the window in the back of the mounting plate to get an ever so light drag on the shoes. You can actually hear them begin to rub on the drum.

Then what I'll usually what I'll do from time to time with drum brakes is the back up at a good pace and jab the brakes, stop and pull forward a little bit to get the self adjusting mechanism to reset itself and repeat the process a few times.

The idea is that if there is enough slack in the shoes they will "Rock Backwards" on the pins and cause the arm that rides on the star wheel to roll up and tighten adjusting screw.

I'll post pics of axle shaft then. I'm going to Go to pick a part this weekend regardless and bringing home the prettiest axle shaft I pull out of the 9 first gen explorers that are there. I think come spring I'm going to swap the back end out for a second gen (?) rear end with disc brakes.

If you do go after another axle, find the best condition Explorer up to 2001. The axles are identical and also in the Sport Trac and Sport until they changed body styles(larger).

You can also swap to disc by just getting the brakes from the 95-01 trucks. I still have the spare 98 rear that I bought for the axles. I saved it to get the brakes from it.

you can also get a speedy sleeve for the seal wear part of the axle. the sleeve is so thin that it won't harm the seal for being so tight very thin.
roscoe

Funny you suggest that as I just talked to my parts guy and he said he could find a sleeve on each side of the size I need but not the right size.

If you do go after another axle, find the best condition Explorer up to 2001. The axles are identical and also in the Sport Trac and Sport until they changed body styles(larger).

You can also swap to disc by just getting the brakes from the 95-01 trucks. I still have the spare 98 rear that I bought for the axles. I saved it to get the brakes from it.

This is rad info.
Appreciated man.

During first assembly I'll put the drums on and manually adjust the star wheel from the window in the back of the mounting plate to get an ever so light drag on the shoes. You can actually hear them begin to rub on the drum.

That's how I've always set them too. Then I've always checked em and adjusted from time to time. But by adjusting through the slot at the bottom of the backing plate.

I've never known about the adjusters being "auto" or that you could set em up doing the back up deal.
Good break down on how they function. Makes sense.

Always something else to learn.

Cheers

That's how I've always set them too. Then I've always checked em and adjusted from time to time. But by adjusting through the slot at the bottom of the backing plate.

I've never known about the adjusters being "auto" or that you could set em up doing the back up deal.
Good break down on how they function. Makes sense.

Always something else to learn.

Cheers

It has always been intended to adjust that way. But it rarely works that way, basically only when all of the parts are new or corrosion hasn't affected anything yet.
I adjust mine by tightening it when installing the drum or disc, as tight as you can get it and put it on. The 2nd gen parking brakes are the same design, a drum inside the back of the disc. If you don't adjust them very tight(putting the disc on), the parking brake will be ineffective. My first two(98 and 99) had useless parking brakes, until I began making the disc hard to put on, when doing the brakes.

Back