• Register Today It's free!

2017 XLT 2.3 transmission failure

nori210

Reaction score
City, State
SAN ANTONIO, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
I just bought a 2017 Explorer XLT 2.3l n June of this year. I have about 9000 miles on it and transmission started making a whirring noise similar to straight cut gear noise. Then vehicle would shift out of gear and then engage all of a sudden, feels like putting it into neutral and slamming it into drive while revved up.
Took it to the dealer and they confirmed that the noise was not normal so they tore own the trans and they said had burnt clutches. They also found the case was seeping oil from a fill plug so they swapped out the case with a new one. Trans was reinstalled and when they test drove it it skipped gears, they removed trans and rebuilt again with more components like sun gear and tested valvebody and reinstalled. Test drove it and shifted fine until it got to a stop where it shifted into 5th gear and was stuck in 5th gear. Ford sent a reprogram for the truck and got that done and was no fix at all. Now they are replacing the valve body but will need to be ordered. The truck has been at the dealer for about 32 days. I was given a rental, A Focus... which is not comparable at all to the Explorer. I spoke to Ford Customer service and they opened a case for buy back after I told them the attempted repairs and time it has been at the dealer.They also said there was an option to upgrade.

Anyone have transmission issues, or have gone thru a buy backprogram ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, you're probably in good shape for a company buyback--they'll want to do this to avoid a lemon law claim. Good luck.

I've had bad luck with the Ford CRC but you will almost certainly meet the criteria for a company buyback without much effort. Be nice to your CSM because you're likely to win on this one.

Ill see what they say, I think I still want to get into another Explorer XLT but go with the V6 model. I've owned 4 Explorers and never really had issues. Haven't found much online with people having issues with the transmissions like I have. Lets see how it goes Monday.

Your transmission is the exception rather than the rule. It's the 6F35 design in the 2.3Ls that has been around since at least 2010 if not a little earlier. The 6F50 is in the 3.5L NA and is also similarly proven out.

I read this forum almost every day, there have been very few, almost zero transmission problems reported.

I have ~16,500 miles on our 2017 2.3 EB and the transmission has been acting fine. I did a simple drain and fill at 12,200 miles using Motorcraft Mercon LV. With all the work they've done and no success it seems it would have been less expensive for them to just replace the transmission with a brand new one. Other than some earlier Fusions, 2010- ~2012 having shifting flare issues in certain gear shifts, which they fixed, the 6F35 seems to be reliable. I hope it stays that way. Good luck in getting your problem resolved.

Whimsey

Welcome to the Forum nori210. :wave:
Sorry to hear about the transmission problems. Sounds like they should have just replaced the entire transmission. There are members who have gone through the buy back process as well as the 'Lemon Law'.

Peter

The service advisor did tell me that the transmission should have been replaced in his opinion. Ford only approved the rebuild from what he said. I did contact a lemon law lawyer and said to see what ford will do. Even if its an upgrade to a V6. I really want to stick with an explorer.

I would probably keep the 2.3L unless you want to tow. The 6F35 is pretty much the same as the 6F50 and 6F55. The later ones having more pinions and clutch discs/steels for higher torque rating. Ford numbers usually mean torque values. 35=350 ft lbs, 50=500 ft lbs, 55 = 550 ft lbs.

Sounds to me the transmission control unit is just garbage. The 4 cyl Explorers have a separate control unit unlike the V6 having it integrated into the PCM.

Hell could just be bad communication between the PCM and TCU giving bad data and causing shift issues.

Somewhat good news, dealer called me and let me know my truck was ready. Took my wife so we can cruise back, THEN halfway home trans shifted out of gear and revved up to 4000 then engaged. Got to a stop sign and down shifted hard into 1st gear. Took off from a stop and just free revved finally slipping into a gear. cleared up for a few feet and felt it went into 4th or 5th gear.....I was almost t boned. I picked up at dealer at 7:15, this all happened within 30 minutes.
Called the dealer and told them the truck is getting towed back, it cannot be driven. Ill be missing work and shuffling my kids to school one at a time in my vette and miss some time off work to show them the video I was recording when the gremlins attacked. Hope Ford takes care of me on this. Could say i'm pretty pissed

Just some FYI. When a vehicle is bought back by an OEM sometimes they don’t scrap them like people think. They buy them back, fix the problem, and then auction them to a Ford dealership. The dealership has to sell it to a customer and cannot send it back to auction. Customer has to sign a form saying they acknowledge that it was a buyback and the dealer will show the customer the repair history so they know why it was bought back. Title will be listed as “manufacture buyback” just like a salvage title.

That’s the bad. The good part is you can get a screaming deal buying a buyback car. Some dealers specialize in them. I’ve known people who have bought buybacks for 50% of a non buyback cars value and have driven them 200k miles no issue.

Just some 411

Well hopefully the next person that buys this one is happier then me. My truck has 9200 miles on it. Early on the rear hatch got loose and they had to realign, after realign it sits on bumper and is gouging it, they were also suppose to fix that. Like I said I want an Explorer just not this one.

When they buy it back post the entire vin number. If someone is smart they will google it if they are looking to buy it and this page should be listed in the search results.

Great Idea! Are there any Ford reps in these forums? I wonder what they would say on something like this.

They used to be on here but they have been gone for a while, I think it’s been over a year.

I have ~16,500 miles on our 2017 2.3 EB and the transmission has been acting fine. I did a simple drain and fill at 12,200 miles using Motorcraft Mercon LV. With all the work they've done and no success it seems it would have been less expensive for them to just replace the transmission with a brand new one. Other than some earlier Fusions, 2010- ~2012 having shifting flare issues in certain gear shifts, which they fixed, the 6F35 seems to be reliable. I hope it stays that way. Good luck in getting your problem resolved.

Whimsey
Still a problem beyond 2010-12, so maybe not completely fixed and reliable, yet...

Harsh Reverse Engagement And/Or Harsh Or Delayed Shift Into 3rd And/Or 5th Gear – 2014-2016 Ford & Lincoln
Harsh Reverse Engagement And/Or Harsh Or Delayed Shift Into 3rd And/Or 5th Gear - 2014-2016 Ford & Lincoln

I had to do the above on my 2014 Fusion and it helped but I would not say it was a 100% fix. In my case, when I removed the valve body and took it apart, I noticed the separator plate had worn so much that the check balls were almost to the point of being pushed through the separator plate. The techs I talked to seemed to think internal wear wasn't allowing the trans to operate properly with normal line pressures, so the trans was boosting line pressures to compensate, which was causing the harsh engagement and the 2-3 shift flare. Mine wasn't setting any DTCs at the time.

On this truck they did replace the valve body, the original checked out fine but Ford requested to change with a new VB.

Still a problem beyond 2010-12, so maybe not completely fixed and reliable, yet...

Harsh Reverse Engagement And/Or Harsh Or Delayed Shift Into 3rd And/Or 5th Gear – 2014-2016 Ford & Lincoln
Harsh Reverse Engagement And/Or Harsh Or Delayed Shift Into 3rd And/Or 5th Gear - 2014-2016 Ford & Lincoln

I had to do the above on my 2014 Fusion and it helped but I would not say it was a 100% fix. In my case, when I removed the valve body and took it apart, I noticed the separator plate had worn so much that the check balls were almost to the point of being pushed through the separator plate. The techs I talked to seemed to think internal wear wasn't allowing the trans to operate properly with normal line pressures, so the trans was boosting line pressures to compensate, which was causing the harsh engagement and the 2-3 shift flare. Mine wasn't setting any DTCs at the time.

Geez. Sounds like your dealer has some bad quality assurance. Did they even road test it after each fix?

On this truck they did replace the valve body, the original checked out fine but Ford requested to change with a new VB.
I wasn't trying to suggest that you needed to do anything. I was just responding to the comment about the 6F35 being fixed and reliable post 2012...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They said they drove it around but not too far not as much as I did 16 miles (15 minutes) I did video the gauges and clearly see the rpm go up and speedo not move. I called Ford roadside to tow the truck in and they put delivery to another dealer, same street but a few miles more north. I finally blew a gasket at the dealer and showed them the video, they have the shop foreman driving it. Now the rental is a little black Ford Fiesta... I called Ford CSR and no return call yet. The service guy at the dealer has been communicating with me very well, I had asked him to document everything I said and that I have recorded video. This has been stressful.

Back