Ex won't start, code 542, is it fuel pump? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ex won't start, code 542, is it fuel pump?

Maybe a MAF issue as your getting "rich" indications. You're apparently getting fuel, but it sounds like the ECU isn't getting what's needed from the MAF sensor. Could be the sensor is bad or the wiring is bad. The engine not getting the right amount of air (or the ECU not thinking it's getting the right amount of air) is just as bad as a fuel problem.

You also mentioned you have LEAN codes before, now you have RICH codes. Like KODA said a MAF can wreak havoc on driveability. The MAF computes Barometric pressure, The air percentage, and sets many of the parameters that make your engine run right.

Clean the MAF sensor for starters(there is a chemical for it). Even simpler, disconnect it, it will use the failure tables but it will run. If it dies during idle, or has trouble starting, you may have a bad Idle air controller.

There are scanners that can read your 95, even show livestream data (MT 2500 Red brick). There is one parameter you can check and it can tell you if the MAF matches the current BAROMETRIC pressure. But try working with the MAF first. At your mileage it is likely very dirty.

Another problem, I'm going to throw out is a blocked cat, keep it mind.

If you want to eliminate the egr, pull the vac line and plug it. The EGR should just stay closed. Old EGR valves can leak too, I changed mine. They cause little driveability problems...

Thanks for the responses!!! I'm very grateful :)

I replaced the egr sensor

20171210_133750.jpg

I no longer get the egr code.

I have maf cleaner, tomorrow morning I'm going to pull the maf and inspect, also going to clean and test it.

I'll keep in mind about the CAT, thanks!

Also, a friend was given a 1996 explorer eddie bauer edition 4 door. Rear window blown out, rear bumper smashed in, brake line broken, and a few other odds and ends, but he is just going to junk it so he said I could take parts as I need them.

I'm going to see if I can just buy it from him, and get one of the 2 going really well. The 96' only has 160k on it, and the exterior is in pretty good shape.

Think the fuel pump and stuff will be interchangeable?

Thanks for the responses!!! I'm very grateful :)

I replaced the egr sensor

View attachment 152744

I no longer get the egr code.

I have maf cleaner, tomorrow morning I'm going to pull the maf and inspect, also going to clean and test it.

I'll keep in mind about the CAT, thanks!

Also, a friend was given a 1996 explorer eddie bauer edition 4 door. Rear window blown out, rear bumper smashed in, brake line broken, and a few other odds and ends, but he is just going to junk it so he said I could take parts as I need them.

I'm going to see if I can just buy it from him, and get one of the 2 going really well. The 96' only has 160k on it, and the exterior is in pretty good shape.

Think the fuel pump and stuff will be interchangeable?
The silver EGR sensors were a big failure point way back, so it surely don't owe you anything.

Great to have a parts car. Check rockauto if it interchanges, it SHOULD, but there could be a different harness, etc. The internal pump should interchange.

If you have storage you can keep/sell many parts from the 96.

Back