2016 Starter Problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Starter Problem

Turned out to be a loose cable. They replaced the battery before they discovered the loose cable so I got a new battery when I probably didn't need one. She's back to normal now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you got it figured out.

Just an fyi, pumping/pressing the accelerator doesn't do anything. Our pedals are throttle by wire (no direct connection to the motor) and do nothing until the engine is running.

Big misconception with modern vehicles.
I thought conventional wisdom for "modern" fuel injected vehicles that "flooded" was that if the gas pedal was pushed to the floor while cranking, that would trigger the computer to alter (ie reduce) the fuel flow to the engine to aid starting. I'm not sure if this is just an old wives tale or if it only works with FI cars from the 80s or 90s or whatever???

I thought conventional wisdom for "modern" fuel injected vehicles that "flooded" was that if the gas pedal was pushed to the floor while cranking, that would trigger the computer to alter (ie reduce) the fuel flow to the engine to aid starting. I'm not sure if this is just an old wives tale or if it only works with FI cars from the 80s or 90s or whatever???

Maybe back when the gas pedal was actually connected mechanically. All it is now is a sensor that detects pedal position. The computer controlls everything.

Maybe back when the gas pedal was actually connected mechanically. All it is now is a sensor that detects pedal position. The computer controlls everything.
Doesn't change the fact that the computer should still know what position the pedal is in, whether it's connected to the TB or not. I don't care to research it, but maybe someone else wants to verify, or knows, if the same programming still applies today and if the computer kills/reduces fuel flow if the pedal is to the floor on start.

Yes, most of todays FI engines see you pressing the throttle to the floor as a signal that you want to clear out the cylinders and will continue to crank without firing injectors. So while you physically dont open the throttle body with the gas pedal anymore, the ECU can and still does the same thing as opening the throttle does on older vehicles

Is it me or are the 2016 Explorer models problematic?

I have a 2016 Explorer Limited with a starting problem.
The car will crank without a problem, but the engine will not start.

The problem started 4 days ago. The first time this happened, I thought the battery was low, so I charged it for about 30 min and tried to start, no luck. I gave up on it and came back after 3 hrs. Tried starting again and it fired right up! Next day I drove to work, no issues. Tried to go out for lunch a few hours later, no luck, car keeps cranking but will not start. Frustrated, left it for a few hours and tried again...it fired right up! Again!! No reason whatsoever!!

Here I am 2 days later, get in the Explorer to go home...cranking good...no start!! Frustrated...I'm reaching out to this forum.

Also need to mention, I've been leasing the Explorer for the past 3yrs. I traded up to a 2016 in November. I am now on my 5th 2016 Explorer!!

2016 #1 - Starter problem
2016 #2 - Touchscreen/Navigation/Heater problem
2016 #3 - Starter problem
2016 #4 - Dome lights stay on, proximity sensors randomly beep while driving
2016 #5 - Starter problem!!!

Ford dealership don't have clue, but also admitted a few 2016 Explorers were serviced for starting problems.

I've also disconnected the battery to 'reset' the system, that worked once.10

Can anyone guide me to a solution?
My have the same problem... there is a small black box just at the positive plug of the battery if you move it it usually fires....but if the truck is very hot it will several tries to get it to work
I have report this since new and the dealer have no idea...is a random thing but it piss me up
Carlos

My have the same problem... there is a small black box just at the positive plug of the battery if you move it it usually fires....but if the truck is very hot it will several tries to get it to work
I have report this since new and the dealer have no idea...is a random thing but it piss me up
Carlos
Do you have a 2016 Ranger Diesel? If so, is the battery setup the same as in a 3.5L V6?
BTW, the member you responded to was last seen here on February 11, 2016.

Peter

Is it me or are the 2016 Explorer models problematic?

I have a 2016 Explorer Limited with a starting problem.
The car will crank without a problem, but the engine will not start.

The problem started 4 days ago. The first time this happened, I thought the battery was low, so I charged it for about 30 min and tried to start, no luck. I gave up on it and came back after 3 hrs. Tried starting again and it fired right up! Next day I drove to work, no issues. Tried to go out for lunch a few hours later, no luck, car keeps cranking but will not start. Frustrated, left it for a few hours and tried again...it fired right up! Again!! No reason whatsoever!!

Here I am 2 days later, get in the Explorer to go home...cranking good...no start!! Frustrated...I'm reaching out to this forum.

Also need to mention, I've been leasing the Explorer for the past 3yrs. I traded up to a 2016 in November. I am now on my 5th 2016 Explorer!!

2016 #1 - Starter problem
2016 #2 - Touchscreen/Navigation/Heater problem
2016 #3 - Starter problem
2016 #4 - Dome lights stay on, proximity sensors randomly beep while driving
2016 #5 - Starter problem!!!

Ford dealership don't have clue, but also admitted a few 2016 Explorers were serviced for starting problems.

I've also disconnected the battery to 'reset' the system, that worked once.10

Can anyone guide me to a solution?
Any solution, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer. Same thing keeps happening to me. If I take the clip on and off the fuel line it will start every time. No doubt 2016 Ford Explorers have shown A LOT of problems. I've also had several re-call papers sent to my house for others repairs.

Back