• Register Today It's free!

Help with Remote Start Install

mbrando1994

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ex XLT
4.0 V6
Hey all,

I've been wanting to get around to installing a remote start system on my 2003 XLT 4.0 AWD. With winter fast approaching there's no time like the present. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a system and how exactly I go about installing it or any tips/tricks I should be made aware of. I've done plenty of sound systems, just never touched the ignition.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I'm assuming I'll need the Pats transponder and the remote start then? Are there any guides on installation?

When I was considering a remote start, my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor told me:
  • buy a brand name
  • don't buy used ones
When I bought some mystery brand remote start on a Black Friday sale, he told me to take it back and buy a name brand. I did take it back :snicker:

When I was considering a remote start, my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor told me:
  • buy a brand name
  • don't buy used ones
When I bought some mystery brand remote start on a Black Friday sale, he told me to take it back and buy a name brand. I did take it back :snicker:

Ya, the "Directed" brands (Directed - Our Brands) are the best, next up is the Voxx brands (CodeAlarm, Prestige) but they do not offer a PATS module.

I installed an Omega, extended range, 2way remote. It is awesome. Doesn't take too long to install. I wish I still had the wiring diagram, I'm sure you can find it around here.

Expect to open up the console.

Here is what I got:
Omega R&D® - Deluxe Color 2-Way Vehicle Security and Remote Start System with Up to 1 mile Range
it also needs a cartridge which gets programmed.
Omega R&D® - Blade Data Immobilizer Bypass And Doorlock Integration Cartridge

When I purchased the system, the vendor I bought it from (not the linked) did not program the cartridge per my request. Which required me to buy the USB data cable. The vendor did give me $70 store credit to cover the cost of the cable.

I think the system cost me around $350 with me doing the programming and install myself.

Two way fobs are the way to go. Especially with LCD. Tells you info on current run time. I've got my programmed to run for 15 mins then shut off. It gives me a 1 minute warning prior to shutdown so I can press the button to extend it another 15 mins.

Key fob also alerts me when the alarm is going off. Or even if the alarm does a warning chirp. A couple winters ago at my work, the key fob started to go off (warning chirp). I ran outside and saw someone shoveling show next to the truck. Must have bumped into it. I walked around to inspect for damage, none found.

If you have done car stereos and speakers, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do a remote start. Especially if you're comfortable with wiring.

Edit: There's nothing like not having to look out a window to check if the truck starts up.

Edit: By not too long to install, I took my time over one weekend. It's a learning curve, especially if you haven't installed one before. I think total time was 8 hours. 4 hours each day.

I installed mine a month ago and it works great. I bought the kit through MPC.com. It has an EVO PATS By-Pass, need 2 keys to program, and an Excalibur remote start system and required wiring. Took me about 2 hrs to get everything hooked up and put back together.

Back