Side Proximity Sensors Not Working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Side Proximity Sensors Not Working

svo4turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Colton, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum
Hi All-

2016 Explorer Platinum - Sometime in the last month, the side proximity sensors on my Explorer stopped showing up on the screen. The front 4 zones and the rear 4 zones still appear, but the ones on either side of the car are just, gone. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've edited the title since when I first read it I thought someone had taken them or they had fallen out. They haven't really 'disappeared', the just stopped working, I believe.
This issue has so far not been posted about before. I'm guessing that you checked to ensure that they are clear of dirt etc. Not sure off hand what the issue might be.

Peter

I didn't actually interpret the title into someone understanding that they were physically gone. My mistake. I'm actually unsure as to just wear those particular sensors on the side are located. But I don't believe there's any issue with dirt and such as I generally keep my car very clean. If this is confusing I could upload a picture but basically the image of the Explorer appears on screen when something gets close but only from the front or rear. The side zones adjacent to the entry doors no longer show up on the screen where as it used to show zones reflecting 360 degrees of coverage. I have used for scan to disable the double honk and change the time that the accessory ports stay active but this issue does not correlate with the timing of making said changes.

You haven't turned your traction control system off have you?

There isn't actually 360 coverage. It uses the front/rear corners and sides if they exist to extrapolate there is an object along the vehicle.

For giggles, I would restore to a saved copy of your original BCM file, test, and then re-load your current configuration. I know you stated they don't correlate, but if you don't have any codes popping from the park sensors (as detectable via FORScan, though I don't know if those are a HS or MS can component offhand) my next suspect item is programming.

Might even be worth resetting the APIM/Sync as well. If it's truly just a display issue.

If your traction control is turned off they won't work. That is why I asked.

Peter

Missed your reply... No, TC isn't turned off. I have a LMS tune installed, but I don't think that would be related either, would it?

For giggles, I would restore to a saved copy of your original BCM file, test, and then re-load your current configuration. I know you stated they don't correlate, but if you don't have any codes popping from the park sensors (as detectable via FORScan, though I don't know if those are a HS or MS can component offhand) my next suspect item is programming.

Might even be worth resetting the APIM/Sync as well. If it's truly just a display issue.

I might try resetting sync first. Or, I might just live with it. It's annoying, but Park assist still works, and it's not throwing any codes. I didn't check codes with forscan though, just with ODBLink. Was hoping perhaps someone had ran into this and it was a simple setting somewhere.

Missed your reply... No, TC isn't turned off. I have a LMS tune installed, but I don't think that would be related either, would it?
I'm not familiar with 'tunes'. The TC OFF was mentioned in the Owner's Manual as 1 cause for the 'side' sensors not to show up.

Peter

Interesting. TC defaults to on with each key cycle. But, I've never tried cycling TC while this issue has been going on. I'll give it a shot on my next drive. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not familiar with 'tunes'. The TC OFF was mentioned in the Owner's Manual as 1 cause for the 'side' sensors not to show up.

Peter

You sir, are a genius! I cycled my traction control on and off and my side sensors magically reappeared! I have no idea why they would have gone away in the first place, and I can't believe that simply cycling it off and back on again worked, but who am I to question the method! Thank you!

Back