High pitched interior noise. Constant | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High pitched interior noise. Constant

I have a 2012 XLT Explorer and I am having the same issue. The noice seems to come and go. I have taken it to the dealer once and it was doing it when I brought it in. The Service Tech heard it as well but when it was looked at by the mechanic the noise stopped and they couldn't figure it out. I will be taking this thread in to have them remove the fuse and see if that works, since I already got the recall notice for the exhaust system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 XLT Explorer and I am having the same issue. The noice seems to come and go. I have taken it to the dealer once and it was doing it when I brought it in. The Service Tech heard it as well but when it was looked at by the mechanic the noise stopped and they couldn't figure it out. I will be taking this thread in to have them remove the fuse and see if that works, since I already got the recall notice for the exhaust system.
It looks like you never did get that new Explorer you talked about a couple years ago. Hopefully it will be making the noise when you take it in otherwise pulling the fuse won't help.
Please add the 'Required' "Trim Level" (XLT) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be helpful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter

If it is the inverter then pulling fuse #56 will stop the noise. Good luck.
Where can I find that fuse? I am taking it in for service in a week or so. Is there any risk to removing that fuse? Thanks you.

Where can I find that fuse? I am taking it in for service in a week or so. Is there any risk to removing that fuse? Thanks you.
It's in the engine bay. It is shown on the fuse panel diagram in your Owner's Manual. No harm in pulling it out as no other items are linked to it.

Peter

I just purchased a new 2017 Explorer Sport and mine also has the high pitched noise. However, when I pull the #56 fuse, the noise is still there.
After looking through the engine bay, it appears that the noise originates from the driver side of the engine bay.
Any idea as to what might be causing the noise? It’s not the same area/solution that has been posted so far.
The noise is only gone when the Sport is completely powered down.

Put me on the list with this same issue. I noticed this issue while on the test drive of my new 2017 Limited (June 2017 build date, purchased late Nov 2017 ). This was noted on my bill of sale as an item to be fixed prior to delivery. The service departed saw the Oasis bulletin and registered my vehicle with Ford, but like others have stated they are waiting for Ford's fix. Does anyone know if I will be contacted once corporate figures out a fix or will I have to keep checking back?

.......Does anyone know if I will be contacted once corporate figures out a fix or will I have to keep checking back?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I guess the answer to that question would depend upon the number of owners with this reported issue. Ford could create a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for it and notify owners or it could be left up to the dealers. If a TSB is created, rest assured you will be among the first to hear about it through this Forum.

Peter

I just purchased a 2017 Sport and noticed this high-pitched whine noise as well only with the engine running. Glad to know it’s an easy fix for pulling the fuse, but is there a TSB issued on it yet? I’ll probably pull the fuse for now, but wondering if it’s worth taking to the dealer or not. Seems like the new information from Ford tells the dealer not to replace the power inverter.

I took my car in for this (2017 Explorer Sport) and got the following text from my service advisor:

“Explorer - 110V Power Inverter - High Pitched Buzzing/Ringing Noise With Engine Running From Passenger Side Front Interior
Some 2017 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 110V power inverter may exhibit a high pitched buzzing or ringing noise from the passenger side front interior area while the engine is running. To isolate the noise to the power inverter, remove fuse 56 from the battery junction box with the engine running. Make sure there is nothing plugged into the 110V outlet during the test. If the noise is no longer present with the fuse removed, the noise is isolated to the inverter and no other components should be replaced. Replacement of the inverter may not resolve the noise. Engineering is aware of the concern and is investigating. The noise does not affect the operation of the power inverter. Please submit a Global Concern Report and continue to monitor OASIS for updates.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2017 TRUCK: UB EXPLORER
ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THIS CONCERN. GLOBAL CONCERN REPORT SUBMITTED. NO REPAIRS OR ACTIONS PERFORMED AT THIS TIME”

He also recommended pulling that fuse when car running and noise present. Neither he nor the mech could hear it. I haven’t pulled fuse yet.

Good luck

I just purchased a 2017 Sport and noticed this high-pitched whine noise as well only with the engine running. Glad to know it’s an easy fix for pulling the fuse, but is there a TSB issued on it yet? I’ll probably pull the fuse for now, but wondering if it’s worth taking to the dealer or not. Seems like the new information from Ford tells the dealer not to replace the power inverter.
Welcome to the Forum Dan.:wave:
No TSB but as mentioned in post #107, a Special Service Message (SSM) has been raised and is on file on this issue. Mark has expanded on that in the post above. I think it may be a good idea to advise the dealer that your Explorer has the issue so that they can record it.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Dan.:wave:
No TSB but as mentioned in post #107, a Special Service Message (SSM) has been raised and is on file on this issue. Mark has expanded on that in the post above. I think it may be a good idea to advise the dealer that your Explorer has the issue so that they can record it.

Peter

Glad to be a part of the forum! Thanks for the info.

I took my car in for this (2017 Explorer Sport) and got the following text from my service advisor:

“Explorer - 110V Power Inverter - High Pitched Buzzing/Ringing Noise With Engine Running From Passenger Side Front Interior
Some 2017 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 110V power inverter may exhibit a high pitched buzzing or ringing noise from the passenger side front interior area while the engine is running. To isolate the noise to the power inverter, remove fuse 56 from the battery junction box with the engine running. Make sure there is nothing plugged into the 110V outlet during the test. If the noise is no longer present with the fuse removed, the noise is isolated to the inverter and no other components should be replaced. Replacement of the inverter may not resolve the noise. Engineering is aware of the concern and is investigating. The noise does not affect the operation of the power inverter. Please submit a Global Concern Report and continue to monitor OASIS for updates.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2017 TRUCK: UB EXPLORER
ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THIS CONCERN. GLOBAL CONCERN REPORT SUBMITTED. NO REPAIRS OR ACTIONS PERFORMED AT THIS TIME”

He also recommended pulling that fuse when car running and noise present. Neither he nor the mech could hear it. I haven’t pulled fuse yet.

Good luck
Update:

I pulled the fuse when the engine was running with the help of my daughter who pointed out the key to fuses was printed on the back of the cover - I guess this is obvious, but it wasn't to me... Anyway, IT WORKED! I pulled the fuse #56 and the sound is gone. I have not tested whether the 110V plug works, though. I'm just stoked to have that sound gone!!

Mark.

My wife mentioned this to me a few weeks ago. I've heard it but like some said, you think its just you until she mentioned she heard it. We've had the car unexpectedly need a jump here and there. I was bothered by it, even replaced a couple of batteries which is now leading me to this as the possible issue. It is a hit or miss when it occurs. I find its often repeatable when you turn the car off and lets say listen to radio for a few moments, then get off. That tends to be the trick to reproduce the issue. The way i've learned to prevent or stop it from happening is, if i get out the car and I heard the noise. I will turn the car completely on then off and it stops... just FYI.. Hoping it becomes a repair fixed by ford. We brought our 2012 xlt brand new, there has been a few questionable things that had to be replaced either by ford or us that didn't sit well with me. So I guess I can add this to the list of things. Looking to see if they decide to fix this. My first post, first day joining. Looking forward to poking my head around in this forum.

My wife mentioned this to me a few weeks ago. I've heard it but like some said, you think its just you until she mentioned she heard it. We've had the car unexpectedly need a jump here and there. I was bothered by it, even replaced a couple of batteries which is now leading me to this as the possible issue. It is a hit or miss when it occurs. I find its often repeatable when you turn the car off and lets say listen to radio for a few moments, then get off. That tends to be the trick to reproduce the issue. The way i've learned to prevent or stop it from happening is, if i get out the car and I heard the noise. I will turn the car completely on then off and it stops... just FYI.. Hoping it becomes a repair fixed by ford. We brought our 2012 xlt brand new, there has been a few questionable things that had to be replaced either by ford or us that didn't sit well with me. So I guess I can add this to the list of things. Looking to see if they decide to fix this. My first post, first day joining. Looking forward to poking my head around in this forum.
I doubt that the noise you are hearing is due to the same issue. If you check the posts here the one with confirmed issues are all 2017 models.

Peter

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to add my vehicle to the growing list of people hearing the noise. I have a 2017 Explorer Platinum, I took it to the dealership for the same issue everyone is describing, they printed off the bulletin people have been quoting on here and advised there was nothing they could do about it and that "Ford would contact me when there is a resolution" I pulled the fuse and am just keeping it in my glove box until the issue is resolved. Its annoying that I bought this expensive vehicle and I can't even use a feature without pulling over and putting the fuse in. With that said I love everything else about the vehicle, I just hope they come up with a fix

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I don't know if it's the same noise or not, but I was getting this annoying high pitch sound all morning. Continued with HVAC & Audio off. I finally decided that, since i was done for the day, I would just drive straight to the dealer, not to leave it, but just so they could hear and and eliminate the inevitable "unable to duplicate". It had literally been happening all morning, after multiple restarts. I make the decision to drive to the dealer, and before I make it out of the neighborhood, it stops...

After a month of thinking i was losing my mind with this noise, and asking everyone who rides with me if they hear it, I took it in this morning. Of course they didn't hear it but only after i sat with them did they faintly hear it. They thought I was stupid and hearing the fan for the heating/cooling of the seats. They said they would look further into this and get back to me. Now from 2 seconds of a google search, I've found more information on this than they did. Now to see how long it takes to get back to me. Disappointed that I gave up my 2015 F-150 Lariat for this only to have the sound drive me nuts and not want to drive this vehicle anymore.

Can't wait to hear of any other updates. I may try pulling that fuse I've read about on here. Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the Forum Boombah.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New to the forum here! I purchased a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport last week. I noticed this same noise during our test drive. The salesperson tried to isolate the noise by turning off the radio and AC. Unfortunately, nor he or my wife could hear it. I was hoping after purchasing the new explorer (which was a different one than the actual one I test drove) that it would go away, but it definitely did not. Luckily I found this forum... I removed the fuse #56 as suggested, and sure enough, I no longer hear the high pitch noise!

Needless to say, I am going to leave the fuse out for now since I really wont be using the inverter any time soon. As some others have stated, glad we have this workaround, but really a shame to have to resort to this. Just wanted to let everyone know that the issue was obviously not corrected for the 2018 model. I have a message in with my dealership to see how they'll handle this. I know replacing it may not fix the issue, but at least I'll have them submit the global concern.

Back