Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

If it's the IKT (real key + fob), it just pries apart. Unhook it from the keychain, stick a penny in the ridge between the top and bottom pieces, work it from the edge. I can't remember but there might even be a deeper indendtation on one side. The back will lift off if memory serves. It's just some sticky adhesive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No adhesive or anything, will just pop apart, it's a CR2032 battery

Does anyone know if there is a battery that can be replaced in the key FOB? If so, how do you pop it open? We've had the remote start key since 2013 and now it barely works to even open the door. I tried a quick search but nothing popped up. Thanks for any help.
Check page 64 of your Owner's Manual (4th print). Be careful not to clean off the grease.

Peter

When you say "keyless entry" I'm guessing that you are referring to the Securicode Pad and not the black rectangle on the door handle. Does that keypad light up when you swipe it? If so, are you able to or have you tried the using the locking sequence on it? I'm not familiar with all the steps involved in setting up the aftermarket remote start but you did say it works. I wonder if some other programming was involved in setting it up when it was added. If it was, I don't see how changing the battery in the fob would affect it. Did you try changing the battery in the other key?
Please add the now 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you.
Yes.I am referring to the Securicode Pad...it does not light up ..it was not working before..was not sure it was related....The remote start is a Ford accessory part and has its own key fob....just seemed odd that both the OEM key fobs stopped when we replaced the battery in the remote start....when opening the door with the key..the alarm warning goes off and you have to start the vehicle. Does something need rebooted?

Yes.I am referring to the Securicode Pad...it does not light up ..it was not working before..was not sure it was related....The remote start is a Ford accessory part and has its own key fob....just seemed odd that both the OEM key fobs stopped when we replaced the battery in the remote start....when opening the door with the key..the alarm warning goes off and you have to start the vehicle. Does something need rebooted?
Check out this thread; MFT Master Reset versus pulling Fuse versus disconnecting Negative Battery Cable
If it was between the 3 choices shown, I would think the best one would be the battery disconnect but be aware of what that will do if you decide to go that way. Since you will lose settings with the MFT reset anyway, you could try that first but I don't think the issue is related to the MFT/APIM. No one else seems to be jumping in here with their ideas so it's up to you whether to wait or try the suggestions in that link. Good luck.

Peter

Check out this thread; MFT Master Reset versus pulling Fuse versus disconnecting Negative Battery Cable
If it was between the 3 choices shown, I would think the best one would be the battery disconnect but be aware of what that will do if you decide to go that way. Since you will lose settings with the MFT reset anyway, you could try that first but I don't think the issue is related to the MFT/APIM. No one else seems to be jumping in here with their ideas so it's up to you whether to wait or try the suggestions in that link. Good luck.

Peter
Do you if there is a process to reprogram the key fob when adding the remote start?

This might help, worked for mine:
Using an already programmed key put it in the ignition and cycle the ignition on and off rapidly for quite a few cycles until the door locks lock and then unlock. Then press the lock button on the fob for each key you want to program (I was only programming one new key so I only pressed it on that one key). The door locks cycled again one more time confirming the button press. Now all my fob buttons worked including remote start!

Not sure if already asked/mentioned/answered in the 18 pages of posts here.
I got the Remote start turned on for my Leased 2015 explorer XLT and have the 1 fob for it.
Now I am turning in the 2015 and possibly buying a 2014 XLT. Can I reuse that Key or is it cut specifically for the 2015?
TIA

IT WORKED!
The dealer charged me $57 to enable the key and now I have remote start!
They wrote in the invoice: "ENABLE IN IDS, RECONFIGURE BCM TO ALLOW REMOTE START.

All in, less than $120 for OEM remote start including new key, thanks to all the guy here that posted great info!

Really quick question. If I wanted to increase the range of my remote start and I buy the antenna for it and plug it into the tpms in the center consol?

Well my aftermarket key died on my wife yesterday. She was at the post office and it wouldn't start the car. Luckily me being leery of that fault upon start up about not being able to program the key, hid an oem spare in the back so she was able to get home. When I tried it at home it wouldn't start the car and gave a "Starting system fault" error. Buttons and remote start worked still. I contacted the seller and they are refunding me. So now I need another key. I can't find any oem ones on amazon, although there is another seller with a programming guarantee but I'm wondering if I should just try to get an oem. Other than the dealer where can I find an oem key?

I just purchased 2 of the universal 4 button remotes for my 2014 explorer xlt I just picked up. I am getting them from Replacement Keyless Entry Remotes and Key Fobs Replace My Remote at about $30 or so a piece. These are the non-oem ones. Their oem ones were still a bargain at $70-$80.....

So I don't have to reread 19 pages of this thread, what concern were you aware of or problems did you have during programming?
My plan was to get the keys cut and since I have two OEM keys already, I was going to try the programming method at home. Should I be worried?

TIA

Well my aftermarket key died on my wife yesterday. She was at the post office and it wouldn't start the car. Luckily me being leery of that fault upon start up about not being able to program the key, hid an oem spare in the back so she was able to get home. When I tried it at home it wouldn't start the car and gave a "Starting system fault" error. Buttons and remote start worked still. I contacted the seller and they are refunding me. So now I need another key. I can't find any oem ones on amazon, although there is another seller with a programming guarantee but I'm wondering if I should just try to get an oem. Other than the dealer where can I find an oem key?

Programming them isn't hard and if you have the oem keys you are good to go. Just follow the process in the manual. You will have to do two programming steps with aftermarket keys, one for the key and one for the fob buttons. To program the buttons try this:
Using an already programmed key put it in the ignition and cycle the ignition on and off rapidly for quite a few cycles until the door locks lock and then unlock. Then press the lock button on the fob for each key you want to program (I was only programming one new key so I only pressed it on that one key). The door locks cycled again one more time confirming the button press. Now all my fob buttons worked including remote start!

So can I ask, what happened to your key? Why did it lose programming? Again, I haven't read all 19 pages. The last time I was in this thread reading was a few years ago when I leased my 15 Explorer and got it's remote start system working.

Programming them isn't hard and if you have the oem keys you are good to go. Just follow the process in the manual. You will have to do two programming steps with aftermarket keys, one for the key and one for the fob buttons. To program the buttons try this:

Did you try putting in the 'emergency' slot and then attempt to start the vehicle? Perhaps it was a bad battery in the fob.

Peter

I would also like to know - Can you add on an antenna to the TPMS receiver in the center console to increase the range of the basic IKT key Remote Start? has anyone done this?

And to confirm, I successfully got my new aftermarket IKT w/ remote start keys cut at Ace Hardware for $1 each, and programmed. I did have to do the two difference processes to program them. One for getting the key to work in car, the other to get the remote buttons to work.
All in all, again a nice cheap way to get Remote Start on these vehicles!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a refurbished OEM key on eBay for around $50. It is genuine Ford but has a new key blank installed. My local hardware store would not touch it because they were afraid of damaging it. The local locksmith had no hesitation and charged me an insane 100 cents.

I tried the programming trick posted here with the 8 rapid power cycles. I heard the lock/unlock after cycle 8 but when pressing any button on my new key; the horn blows. I tried this a dozen times and never got it to work. When the new key was inserted the dash says "Engine start failure" or something. The horn blow may be an error message.

In my 2014 manual there is a totally different procedure. It requires the two original admin keys. The manual says 3 sec to 10 sec but it seemed to work only after I did this as fast as possible.
1. Put key 1 into ignition and cycle on for 3-10 sec
2. Put key 2 into igntion and cycle on for 3-10 sec
3. Put NEW key into ignition and cycle for 6-10 sec
4. Remove and reinsert new key, try to start
5. The My Key menu should show 3 Admin keys

During this process I noticed a popup menu on the dash that displayed my 5 digit door code. It took a few tries to get it right but finally the new key would start the engine. When I removed it there was no lock/unlock function on the new key. I tried the original keys and then started the engine again. The new key started working normally after that. I have no idea what the secret was. If you have trouble just keep trying.

Off to dealer to enable feature...

Back