V8 swap thread discussion | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap thread discussion

No pats is 98 up , the late 97 has p heads and external egr, and the transmission is the early 4r70w but used the later range sensor so it has a unique harness, and the pcm is also unique to this setup, this is the version I had to use in my 97 sport with a 99 motor , and I also have my brothers 97 xlt here that is a late 97 with this setup

How sure are you that the late 97 PCM is different than the early 97 GT40 version? I have two 97 PCM's with the same code to use for my projects, and the trans range sensor was the only thing I wondered about. My trans guy said the older range sensor would work with a newer 4R, which was good to hear, but it also suggested to me that the range sensors have the same circuit functions.

I'd prefer to use the later range sensor, so if there is a later 97 PCM that is "made for it", I'd prefer that one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm positive, I have an untouched late 97 my brothers and my sport is set up that way , its one of fords ******* in between year mix match ,

I'm positive, I have an untouched late 97 my brothers and my sport is set up that way , its one of fords ******* in between year mix match ,

Thanks, I believe I will prefer that late 97 PCM over the early one. I will compare the wiring for them both/all anyway. My 99 will get a 99-01 harness etc, so I expect to get used to the wiring during four projects.

IMO, yes. and try to find one close (if its possible) to your build date. 96-97 didnt have too many wiring differences as far as i know, but mid 97 PATS started to come into play. your can always take it from the one truck to yours, but i dont know if the connectors are there in yours if you dont have it.
Hey guys, I just put a 97 mountaineer 302 in my 98 ranger 4wd. She runs good but have a few trouble codes, ya I went efi. 0708 is for tranny switch high input. Any thoughts..I found that pin 20 at c115 conn is for the switch but ranger side of plug has no wire no pin? Any ideas?

Hey guys, I just put a 97 mountaineer 302 in my 98 ranger 4wd. She runs good but have a few trouble codes, ya I went efi. 0708 is for tranny switch high input. Any thoughts..I found that pin 20 at c115 conn is for the switch but ranger side of plug has no wire no pin? Any ideas?

Did you swap the pins around in the trans connector? Ford made changes between the 97 and 98 models of the 4R70W wiring harness, the one going into the trans. I don't know the differences for anything but the Explorers. So to cross a 4R70W at the 97/98 model requires looking at the pin-outs for the two harness types, and R&Ring a few of the wires at the connector. Hunt around these threads for the chart showing the 4R70W pin-outs, and compare those wire colors to your harnesses.

Hey thanks for input, no I didn't move any pins at transfer plug..but I did move some pins at c115/ ranger plug. According to shop computer all sensors work, which is good. I'd like to get the trouble codes fixed

It's possible you can(and are done) make the changes at that connector farther up, but definitely find the diagrams to compare the original wiring to the changed parts.

Ya, I'm trying to read diagrams to know what pin 20 was connected to on mountaineer. That may be issue with trans code? Knowing what high input means would help also

I thought since engine, trans, pcm and wiring all came out of same vehicle, 97 mountaineer along w/transfer case the wiring should be good and only changes would be at c115 conn? Trans switch plug was on trans from factory. Am I wrong about this

What is the dash and engine bay harness, from your Ranger, or how did you mix those harnesses into the vehicle?

Look at a 97 Explorer/Mountaineer wiring EVTM manual etc, the Explorer may be easier to find things about(though they are identical to Mountaineer).

Note that there are wiring changes during 1997, early versus late. Which do you have, the early is a GT40(not GT40P) and has a dead flat top EGR elbow on it? GT40P's have an EGR pipe to the exhaust manifold.

Ok, the engine has pipe coming off pass side exhibition to egr. I used engine harness and plugged it to engine bay harness like 3.0 was, they are same plug but some wires are different. All dash gauges work, tach works but not sure if it's set right for v8 yet. Saw a site where they said a pin needs moved?

Okay, you should be(and have been) tracing the wires from the engine harness to the bay and dash harnesses. That's a GT40P system and good because the majority of it matches 98 wiring, and 99-01.

It's closer to those than the 96-97.5 PCM wiring, except that 1998 got those trans changes mentioned before. The 98+ 4R70W has some little upgrades in it, and they made the electrical connectors inside incompatible, thus a new external connector color and wiring arrangement.

You can rely on most of it to be virtually identical to 1998 wiring, except for the many changes made to the vehicle as upgrades(not to the engine(the engine stuff is the same for 98 versus late 97)). 1998 got a lot of changes like green dash lights, different GEM modules etc, but the engine stuff remained the same except for adding PATS.

That may help you if you find references to wiring of a 98 Explorer, just remember that you have the trans wiring of a 96/97 4R70W. Since your CEL code points to a trans issue, I'd keep double checking all of those trans circuits.

Hey thanks man, alot of it does match. I got 2 manuals, 1 for 98 ranger electrical and vac diag, and same for 97 mountaineer evdiag. I'll keep tracing and reading and enjoying the added horsepower and sound of the exhaust lol thanks again

Ok, I must have been really tired when I was researching the wiring..pin 20 is on both connectors and it's for clutch posted sensor on both, I don't got a clutch. However pin 13 on engine side of c115 is vss and sat the moment it's got a wire that is for heater/air hooked up to it on truck side. Lol. So I got to look at diagrams for ranger find vss wire and move it..more. to come

Ok, I must have been really tired when I was researching the wiring..pin 20 is on both connectors and it's for clutch posted sensor on both, I don't got a clutch. However pin 13 on engine side of c115 is vss and sat the moment it's got a wire that is for heater/air hooked up to it on truck side. Lol. So I got to look at diagrams for ranger find vss wire and move it..more. to come
Ok

Ok, now I get why I read that a good diagram book is essential if u go efi with 302 swap. The vss isn't in same location on vehicles and it's wired a bit different. Got to move a couple wires..wondering if that could b screwing with trans range switch and that's why I'm getting both codes?

for that, and what i have seen from you guys down south, you should be able to pick up the truck whole, and not just parts of it. i also cant say it is easy doable or not. for some people doing this will scare the hell out of them, and others they will do it with one eye closed and haft awake. it all depends on your ability's.

Ok, now I get why I read that a good diagram book is essential if u go efi with 302 swap. The vss isn't in same location on vehicles and it's wired a bit different. Got to move a couple wires..wondering if that could b screwing with trans range switch and that's why I'm getting both codes?

Ok, I did move a pin, from no 7 to 13, the thing I'm finding is pin 7 is a wire coming out of vss and goes to cruise control servo, pin 13 is wire going into vss. Trying to read diagrams and figure out if it was good move? The wire I took out of pin 13 was heater a/c wire so it shouldn't be there either way. Wiring is giving me a headache

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well...here we go again....I'm about to start my swap and find all this info most helpful....I have a 2001 sport and a 2001 explorer with a 5.0...my plan is to swap everything including computer wiring, transmission and transfer case.....THEN get stupid and try to shoehorn a 408 stroker in place of the 5.0...wish me luck.

Back