Things that help fuel economy and performance. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things that help fuel economy and performance, isn't that an oxymoron by definition?
Not at all. There are many things that do both. Anything that increases efficiency will free up power, such as lower weight and rolling resistance tires, and switching all fluids to synthetics.

lower weight tires-wheels keeps coming up.
So...
What is the stock 17" rim and BFG tire weight?
and what are people putting on thee that is significantly less that stock?

These?

The BFG replacement for stock appears to be 44 lbs

Nitro rumored to be heavy at 32 isn’t materially different that Toyo.

Goodyear with bad reports lightest at 31

Any others?

Rated for 15 city 18 highway. that's as good as it gets. Not an economy SUV!

If you could really drop 12 pounds a tire it’d make an efficiency difference.

Rated for 15 city 18 highway. that's as good as it gets. Not an economy SUV!

+1
I get 17.7 combo in MN with winter blend gas when its 0 degrees....

So I went 160km on 24L

Soo... 100mikes to 6gallons...

Thats bad right?

(sorry for becro bump, didn't wanna make another post about fuel economy.)

THats not enough mileage to get a good gauge but that works out to 16.6mpg. Probably not terrible on a first gen.

on the post above about dropping tire weight, to what tire do you mean?

Interesting, best I am getting is about 15-16 mpg highway. Rolling on BFG 31's and 3.73's with a stick. I know I am still learning to drive a manual, but that seems pretty abysmal for a stick? Then again I just got it aligned (bad camber). FPR replaced, injectors checked and cleaned, oil changed (synth blend), ran sea foam through a tank. It runs smooth as silk, just gets awful gas mileage.

must not be a Gen3 with a stick... 4L I'm so inclined to think its the 4L engine, a dog...

And to the comment about it is was it is 15-18, there are newer engines with a LOT more power and get better mileage in same size weight vehicle...its called the new RANGER!

must not be a Gen3 with a stick... 4L I'm so inclined to think its the 4L engine, a dog...

And to the comment about it is was it is 15-18, there are newer engines with a LOT more power and get better mileage in same size weight vehicle...its called the new RANGER!
Key words being newer. It surely is what it is given the technological limitations. They also make more power at the cost of being much more complicated, more expensive, and quite possibly far less reliable.

Also got to ask...why is this even relevant? Nobody is looking to purchase newer vehicles, we are looking to make better MPG within the limitations of an older vehicle. The OHV is reliable if a bit underpowered for a 4500lb SUV, but it's what we have, so please don't crap all over it.

so how do you get the Gen 3 4L out of 15 MPG range and over 20MPG? Is it physically possible, that is on paper?

A turbo help?
A super charger?

Is it really the drive train bound up causing parasitic losses?

It’s heavy and not efficient. A very light boost turbo and an eco tune would help. But, you’d never recover the costs associated with it. Want considerably better fuel economy? Buy a more efficient car would be the most cost effective choice.

None of mods on these could ever be expected to recover your costs

A modded or base Gen 3 is worth 3k today nothing more or less unless you find someone fanatical to buy what you’ve done

So while it’s not a toy, it’s not a daily driver either

But it sure would be cool to see all 4 smokin’

Haven’t ever seen a boost thread, have a recommendation?

Do those electric fans work? Or are they gimmicks?

I put a snorkel scoop into the air box so instead of trying to suck air around s headlamp bulb “stock air inlet” it’s got a 2.5” diameter area open high pressure flow

Did not notice anything with that mod...

You’d never get all four tires burning, either. Electric fans free up a little power, but you have the headache of wiring and controllers, and the fact they are way less reliable then a mechanical fan.

Usually any mod that brings air in from under the hood, instead of outside of the engine bay is a detriment since the air is hotter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Electric air intake pushers is what I’m refering to versus a mild turbo

And the scoop is as cold as air gets

BE7D37BE-53CB-4170-9B43-D6CD976243DA.jpeg

Back