Need the wiring diagram for under the dash/steering column 1993 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need the wiring diagram for under the dash/steering column 1993

Liam Moonan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I need the the diagram for the wires down under the dash and steering wheel and near the pedals for a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT, I can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance,
Liam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you looking for?

What are you looking for?
I recently discovered a few wires down there that have been cut (from what I can see two red and a ground wire), and was wondering where they led, because my power mirrors don't work, and neither does the 4x4 switch, so I was wondering if they were related in any way. Here are some pictures:
cutwire1.jpg
cutwire2.jpg

I can tell you without looking at a diagram those two splice connectors are not the problem, although if those wires hit anything metal, they could have blown a fuse. They may have been used for fog lights, or extra gauges, etc. It could even have been an attempt to hook power to the 4x4 module and power mirrors. The black is a ground, and has a rather nice crimp to be made by a guy who uses splice connectors.

I'd start by taking those splice connectors off, and wrapping the wire in electrical tape.

Ok, so I dug out the EVTM for my 1993 explorer.

Here is what I have for electric shift 4x4...

full.jpg

full.jpg

And here is power mirrors...

full.jpg

full.jpg

Looking them over I see G204 is common between both 4x4 and power mirrors. Here is everything G204...

full.jpg

Here is the location of G204, possibly that cut ground you pictured...

full.jpg

Sorry guys, after using photobucket for this many years, I guess that's it. I'll try again tomorrow.

Can you guys see those pictures now?

Can you guys see those pictures now?
Yes, they're crystal clear. I'll look into the G204 thing, that's probably it. I do think it's a grounding issue somewhere because my gas gauge doesn't work either, and the previous owner got a new fuel pump put in a few years ago, and the gauge was working fine and then it stopped a year later. I'll look through the wiring, and give an update if I find anything. Thanks again,
Liam

Hey Liam the Gen1 Ex forum gas a post where someone changed the Neg battery cable (search for that). The new cable from Ford has a pigtail breakout specifically for the ECT ground wire! I'd check that! I'm having an "ECT low" error code, that ground is where I'm focused right now :)
Also, any updates to your post?

Just a couple of thoughts... though it doesn't really matter, the wires that are taped make sense for a remote starter that has been installed and then removed. More significantly, one of the pictures shows a black wire with a green stripe. That wire looks like it has overheated and that could be the root of your problems. Splicing around the damage may fix your issues.

Just a couple of thoughts... though it doesn't really matter, the wires that are taped make sense for a remote starter that has been installed and then removed. More significantly, one of the pictures shows a black wire with a green stripe. That wire looks like it has overheated and that could be the root of your problems. Splicing around the damage may fix your issues.
Dang, I hadn't even noticed that blown wire. If I undo the splicing all together do you think that will solve anything? Also an update, the 4x4 works now but the power mirrors don't. The 4x4 problem was unrelated, it was the shift motor.

Where are you located? I have the entire dash from my old 93 Limited still outside.

That's a little tough to ship that far, I was hoping you might be closer.

When a wire fries like this, it turns silvery and brittle. The only fix is to cut out the fried portion and replace it, or splice in a new ground. It's just really hard to say, it almost looks like it was soldered at one point. You could tell a lot just by getting an electrical jumper wire with alligator ends and connecting it to a good ground. RIP Radio Shack.

Those look like good OEM ground wires that someone cut off for some reason.

Back