Explorer 6R60 transmission with a hard shift while changing gears. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 6R60 transmission with a hard shift while changing gears.

dchill65

Reaction score
City, State
ofallon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have a 2008 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 and the transmission is starting to bang into gears. It's not slipping yet but, when it shifts it shifts hard. Has anyone had this problem and if so can you please help me out. There is no codes or check engine light on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! How many miles does it have? It might be time to replace the fluid & filter.
It has 230K miles on it. What fluid actually goes in it? Mercon SP or LV

According to Lubegard's 11th edition fluid chart, 2006 to 2008 uses Mercon SP. The newer year models use Mercon LV.
Thank You. I will try the fluid and filter change first and see what happens.

That sounds like a broken accumulator spring, which is a common symptom of older automatics. The 4R is very reliable, and that's about the most likely problem to have with those. I know nothing about the later six speeds, so consult with people who do know them. Expect to have to replace one or two of those springs, which are not expensive. The labor time for a person who knows how to drop the valve body, should be under an hour.

The fresh ATF and filter is a good idea also, I'd also add a Lubegard additive, they make great products.

Back