• Register Today It's free!

Engine removal questions

72Fins1

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Eddie
I've got a 1993 Ford Explorer that I'm stripping for parts and I'm hoping somebody could tell me what size the motor mount nuts are and what would be the best way to remove them. Also wondering how I remove the throttle cable. If anybody could please help me out with any information here that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you unhook the throttle cable at the throttle body one small bolt & just unclip it . there should be 2 cables to unhook . the mount is a 18mm deepwell socket & wrench should work . good luck . Spend time searching this forum as it has an endless supply of info & really good people here to help .

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the help. I'll try that when I remove the engine mounts.

18mm deep socket on a wobble extension attached to an impact wrench made short work of the engine mount nuts for me.

you unhook the throttle cable at the throttle body one small bolt & just unclip it . there should be 2 cables to unhook . the mount is a 18mm deepwell socket & wrench should work . good luck . Spend time searching this forum as it has an endless supply of info & really good people here to help .

18mm deep socket on a wobble extension attached to an impact wrench made short work of the engine mount nuts for me.
I got the throttle cable removed now I just have to take the two bolts that hold the plate onto the upper intake to get it out of my way so thanks for the help there. I'll try the wobble extension. Right now I'm just working on being able to get at them where I can tools on them.Just the other day I got the breather tube removed so I can at least see the passenger side engine mounting nut. I'm more of a break bolts by hand kind of person but this Explorer has got a absurd amount of rust on it point that that might be a good enough reason I need to finally buy one and give it a shot. Thanks to both of you for all the information.

Did you remove the inner (plastic) fenders? Its much easier to get to the engine mounts, exhaust flanges, wiring, etc., with the inner fenders removed.

No not yet but removing the plastic inner fenders is next on the to do list Since it's going to the junkyard I'm going to cut up the body, which is rusty as you can tell especially with the rear windshield washer fluid tank peeking through the rear quarter panel from a accident where it hit a concrete barrier doing 70something mph on the driver side. frame into pieces to fit them into my 1995 F150 longbed and 1972 Chevrolet longbed truck trailer. I have the front body mounts cut and the front bumper removed and I'm going to cut the front fenders off far enough while attached to the core support to pull it off in one piece to get at the engine bay easier so I've got limits on what extent I'm willing to butchering this Explorer gutted out. Can I get at the motor mount nuts without removing the power steering and a/c bracket and accessories on the passenger side? I would rather pull the engine with all the accessories attached to it.
th_red%20explorer%20drivers%20side_zpsl5x2hdmo.jpg

I have not pulled one of these engines, but looking at mine and the donor I have, it appears you can pull the engine without removing the brackets. I am going to cut the front clip off at about mid-fender to pull the engine, transmission and transfer case all out at once.

It's my first time pulling a engine from one of my 91-94 Explorers. I've removed the transmission and transfer case before but never a engine. Anyways check out what I just got done today. Kind of similar to what you were describing. I did get the rest of the fender skins removed after these were taken. As far as pulling the entire drivetrain out in one piece I think I'll just get the engine out first because once it's out removing the transmission and transfer case won't be hard at all.
%20cut%20off%20passenger%20side%20view_zps1ug3atl1.jpg
front%20end%20cut%20off%20front%20view_zpskbtvyddw.jpg

end%20cut%20off%20driver%20side%20view_zps4d4mjsee.jpg

Back