Completed Project - Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Top Mount TURBO Explorer V8

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.

RegionThr33

Reaction score
City, State
Alderson
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT V8
Here's the info for my Explorer. I've been getting it ready for a remote TURBO.

1997 Explorer XLT 5.0 ( 302 )
GT40P heads
Alexsparts .588 lift, drop in valve springs CompCams XE264HR-12 Camshaft
Parker FunnelWeb intake
Edelbrock elbow
LSx 92mm throttle body.
Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm wires
Still waiting on headers. The stock Explorer manifolds are terrible as we all know.
All I need to finish the turbo setup is oil lines and a pump.

17990641_1519177621427918_8268969830456294650_o.jpg

IMG_20171208_152555.jpg

IMG_20171113_104405_585.jpg

17990641_1519177621427918_8268969830456294650_o.jpg

IMG_20171208_152536.jpg

IMG_20171113_104405_585.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry about the double pics.

Here's a lame idle video I made this morning. That's not smoke btw. It's just cold here.
Downstream cats are gone. Thrush welded muffler. Everything else is stock for now.

Love how it looks under the hood!!!
Sounds nice, just need that turbo whistle :p,
Looks good outside too

Please post more pics as you go! pllleeeaaaaseeeeeee lol

Love how it looks under the hood!!!
Sounds nice, just need that turbo whistle :p,
Looks good outside too

Please post more pics as you go! pllleeeaaaaseeeeeee lol

I definitely will. It might be a little slower going since the snow is flying now and I don't have heat in my garage but I will be updating as I progress.

Yours is the same color as mine is. :) Love how the engine looks. That set up hard to do? Although mine will be going up not down. But love how yours looks. How low did you go all together?

Yours is the same color as mine is. :) Love how the engine looks. That set up hard to do? Although mine will be going up not down. But love how yours looks. How low did you go all together?

Thanks, I've actually never measured the height. The Engine setup wasn't hard at all just time consuming. Had to extend some wiring for the coils since I relocated them behind the intake. I also extended the harness from the starter relay to the alternator. It now travels along the firewall. The LSx throttle body only needed the tps wiring adapted to the Ford harness and I had to adjust it to .96volts. it took me a while to get stuff sorted out because apparently no one has done it before.

It'll actually fit under the hood!!! Turn the intake and clock the tubo and I'm good to go!

IMG_20171227_035816_236.jpg

I likey! Turbo ****! I was headed that route but found an old F150/Bronc supercharger

How much boost are you wanting? How are You Tuning it? (MAF, Injectors, fuel pump, Tuning - fuel and timing???)

I need to research how much air flow the stock MAF can handle and I will be getting larger injectors. I tune my own with a Tweecer, (Tweecer.com ) and do have a 90mm Lightning MAF I need it.

Any dyno sheets? By your numbers the intake made a ton of power but I don't understand how it gained so much low end torque with the short big runners and the cam.

^^^
this and you might also want to use bigger injectors, and fuel pump as well.
need to ask, did you drill your own holes for the injectors going into the intake, or did they come like that

Any dyno sheets? By your numbers the intake made a ton of power but I don't understand how it gained so much low end torque with the short big runners and the cam.

Yeah, I can't understand it myself. The torque numbers were all over the place and dropped off to nearly nothing after it peaked. I'm questioning the outcome a little. The shop just opened up and they were still not completely set up yet.

^^^
this and you might also want to use bigger injectors, and fuel pump as well.
need to ask, did you drill your own holes for the injectors going into the intake, or did they come like that

I have everything for the turbo install except the oil lines and maf. I bought the intake used and already drilled.

I likey! Turbo ****! I was headed that route but found an old F150/Bronc supercharger

How much boost are you wanting? How are You Tuning it? (MAF, Injectors, fuel pump, Tuning - fuel and timing???)

I need to research how much air flow the stock MAF can handle and I will be getting larger injectors. I tune my own with a Tweecer, (Tweecer.com ) and do have a 90mm Lightning MAF I need it.

I'm only shooting for 450hp max. Still need the maf and oil lines to complete the setup. I'm probably going to go SCT with a local tuner.

Edelbrock makes an efi manifold with a carb style inlet. I considered that option when building my 351w since there isn't many good efi intakes for it.

Are you having custom headers made or whats your plan for that?

Are you having custom headers made or whats your plan for that?
Twin turbo headers with 90° elbows. I'm hoping the driver's side won't give me too much issue.

These. The elbows will be turned forward when I install the turbo. Until then ill just have downpipes from the elbows to the stock exhaust

IMG_20171209_203030.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You making them? What diameter?

Back