Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread | Page 96 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread

As some of you know, I am working on building a parts list for a shortened Dana 44, long radius arm with coil overs SAS. 5:13 gears to match my rear axle and an ARB, maybe an electric locker. I have a pretty good list so far. At the same time, I am going to swap out the rear drum brakes for discs off of a 99 Explorer.

Please note: The plan is to keep this project as simple as possible with mostly off the shelf parts. I am not a fabricator, just a decent welder with a what I would consider the minimum required tools (chop saw, cut off wheels, air tools, welder, etc.), who likes doing his own work. Your opinions are welcome, but what I really need is technical advice. I have been thinking about this for several years and now have the time and cash to make it happen. Please keep on topic with your advice and don't go off on a side track about how you would do it as a four-link, or caged arms, or leave the axle full-width because that is not what I want. I want a simple-ish set up that works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OKAY, my belief in AAA has been restored!!

I got a call from the agent I visited earlier. She noticed the salvage title hasn't been completed so DMV just shows it as a regular vehicle. She asked her manager, who said go for it and see what happens. She entered it in the system as being insured and put in a note that I did not request cancellation. She said it didn't flag it and her boss approved it, so I am good to go. When the salvage title pops up when its renewal time, she said they will have to insure it since its already on the policy, but the policy will just need to be modified. Thank you Ruth Rodriguez, Sr Insurance Representative.

I was so happy I went outside and pulled the rest of the doors, fenders, most of the wiring, radiator and a bunch of other stuff off the donor. I think I am going to sawzall the front clip off about mid-fender to make it easier to get the engine out. It will be good fun too. I just need to set up a date/time with a couple friends, one of which has an engine hoist.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Good to hear. What's wrong with your motor?

Nothing is wrong with my engine, its just a little tired. I am pulling the donor Explorer engine to keep because it only has 105000 miles, and ran great on the way home. I plan on slowly rebuilding it with performance parts to add more power, then swap it into my Explorer in a year or two. The transmission of the donor shifted great so I am going to sell it, and the transfer case belongs to RockRanger.

Hey hey.....don't get any ideas now:nono:

:p

Glad to hear AAA is pulling through again. We have been with them for about 12 years now, and they have always been great.

So Brian,

Now that you have done basically a full wiring swap, what advice would you give someone?

Its great to see tragedies turn into happy endings! The Explorer looks fantastic, excellent work!

So Brian,

Now that you have done basically a full wiring swap, what advice would you give someone?
Ahhhhhhhhh, start at one end and don't stop until you get to the last plug?? The OEM wiring was straight forward because all the plugs go to specific harnesses. The aftermarket wiring was a total pain. For that, you need a plan. Figure out how much wire you need and get twice as much. Write it all down. I went through 4 or 5 different versions of the wiring until I got it to where I felt comfortable to start actual work, then changed several things as I went along because it was easier. Keep it as simple as possible.

Its great to see tragedies turn into happy endings! The Explorer looks fantastic, excellent work!
Thanks.
Today I got the brake and light inspections, the VIN verification and four hours at DMV later, I got my new registration and plates. I only need to install the transmission gauges and adjust the TV shifter cable because its going into OD way too soon and not downshifting out of OD. Cool guy doing brake and light inspection pointed out that my front corner marker lights are not working, but passed it anyway when I assured him I would fix them. I honestly didn't remember there being any corner lights. He spent more time asking me questions about my build than inspecting anything. When I got home I looked on the donor truck and there they are, plugs that you can't get too without pulling the headlight bezels off, which means removing the grille, again.

Still need to read up on ham radio licenses and maybe take a class, then a test..

Still need to read up on ham radio licenses and maybe take a class, then a test..

Study the book, then take the practice exams here:
AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice

The practice exams use the exact questions from the "real" question pool. If you keep passing the tests online you'll pass in person.

It's great to see that your Explorer is all road worthy and legal again:chug:

@BKennedy Still need to read up on ham radio licenses and maybe take a class, then a test..

I used "Technician Pool" Exam Tech App on iOS/iPhone - worked like a charm, simple and easy to use. It's updated with current exam questions; you can sort hard questions, do repeat tests, it saves results...

I hope to take my General Test this year.

Thanks for the tips.

I finally officially moved the Explorer into its garage spot. Now, I can work on it in the dark because my garage has awesome lights. Noticed a small puddle of coolant after it was parked. A quick search told me either the hose loosened up at the upper radiator mount, or the plastic mount is cracked.

Edit: I loosened the hose clamp, twisted the hose around and re-tightened the hose clamp. No more leak.

Adjusted the transmission TV cable with the wife's help. She watched the pressure gauge while I adjusted the cable. Pressure is where it is supposed to be, and a test drive will tell if I got it right.

Also need to adjust the shock sensor on the alarm. If you touch the dash with the alarm activated, it goes off. Never liked shock sensors so I usually turn them all the way down, but forgot when I was doing the install.

Made some progress with the donor. I told the wife it would look worse before it looks better. I didn't lie...
20180101_151502.jpg

20180101_151509.jpg

20180101_151521.jpg

20180101_151532.jpg

It was fun cutting the front clip off. I think I have removed all the connections to the engine, except for the driver side exhaust flange. I tried to remove the ball joint from the pitman arm, but its real stuck. I ended up cutting the drag link off next to the ball joint so I could remove the steering gear box. I should have the engine/trans/transfer case out by Wednesday.

Anyone local want the bumpers? I wasn't planning on taking them off, but the front bumper was in the way. They are in great shape. If no one says they want them by Friday, they are going to the wrecking yard with the rest of the donor.

The plan is to have the donor out by Friday, RV back home and all the donor body panels stored at parents house, Saturday or Sunday. Then I can start packing for the Truckhaven run and make sure the wiring between RV and Explorer are correct, and the supplemental braking system is functional.

RockRanger was right, engine, transmission and transfer case all came out together. TJ Mike came over to help and it only took a few hours, Had to cut the rusted out transmission cross member out, and I had to cut the front drive shaft off at the axle because the bolts were rusted solid. Its a lot easier when I don't have to put the stuff back. Got a stuck bolt, Diablo blade, exhaust, Diablo blade, cut all the fuel, transmission and AC lines out, cut off the radiator hoses. It was therapeutic. I got the transmission separated and on a cart, and the engine is on its stand.

20180102_113748.jpg

Matt, this chain look familiar??
20180102_113802.jpg

20180102_114329.jpg

20180102_114630.jpg

I figure I can spend a full day on clean-up tomorrow, remove the back windows, throw the parts back in that I am not keeping, and bolt the front tires back on to make it a roller again.

You are definitely getting your money's worth out of the parts truck:chug:

Me and a few others....:thumbsup:

If I lived where I had more space, I would have a few parts Explorers.

Me and a few others....:thumbsup:

If I lived where I had more space, I would have a few parts Explorers.

I have the room, but no one locally that plays with Explorers :(

Today I spent most of the day cleaning up the mess where my RV is supposed to be parked. I got the donor ready to travel, and boxed up all the stuff I pulled. Also pulled the rest of the wiring harnesses. Its only three boxes of stuff, plus the body panels. Donor will be taken to its final resting place Friday.
20180103_111534.jpg

20180103_131909.jpg

I spent the rest of the day and into the evening loading the Explorer with all the stuff a trail rig needs. If you have never removed everything from your trail rig, you might be amazed how much crap is in there. I had two banana boxes worth. I put about 3/4 of it back. Also spent a few hours removing and replacing a bunch of stuff to get to the alarm control box to adjust the shock sensor sensitivity. Its all better.

Still need to take it for a drive to see how its shifting, but it should be fine. Last time I adjusted it, it worked well.

Josh came by and hauled off the donor. Its good to have the RV parking space back. Dropping off all the body panels, and picking up the RV tomorrow. Thanks Josh.

20180105_114853.jpg

Back