Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Yesterday they inspected the tailgate seals and side vent grilles, replaced the missing tailgate drain plugs and re-programmed the HVAC. That was the full 17N03 repair for my car. Ok, I'm glad it was not more invasive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer will be in shop to check for the exhaust issues, door panel issue and MyFordTouch issue on 12/27. Hope it will be fixed and done with! All are covered by dealer and with extended warranty as well.

Thinking of getting a 2016 Ex, but am delaying purchase due to the CO issue. Has the REAL problem been discovered by Ford, and are they just blowing smoke up our butts with these offered “repairs”, (reprogram a/c, rear hatch drains & seal) and now, exhaust repairs? Sounds like they’re dancin’ to avoid a recall to fix the real problem! How about cracked exhaust manifolds?

Thinking of getting a 2016 Ex, but am delaying purchase due to the CO issue. Has the REAL problem been discovered by Ford, and are they just blowing smoke up our butts with these offered “repairs”, (reprogram a/c, rear hatch drains & seal) and now, exhaust repairs? Sounds like they’re dancin’ to avoid a recall to fix the real problem! How about cracked exhaust manifolds?
The link you quoted in your post is to address the same issue (CO & exhaust). There is a member who reported that it fixed his issue. Unfortunately there hasn't been much feedback so far since repairs only started last month (November). Also not every Explorer seems to be affected. I didn't have it with my 2011 nor current 2017. I'm curious to see if we get any identical reports on the 2018 models now that they are starting to get on the road.

Peter

If you can smell rotten eggs, you surely have elevated CO levels.
Where do you get your info, (logic) from? CO is odorless! Sounds more like incomplete combustion (engine), or a bad catalytic converters.
Even if that is the case, it doesn’t mean ANY exhaust or CO will leak into the car. Factory exhaust repairs? REALLY? What are they fixing? The stainless steel systems on all the newer vehicles are welded and last forever. I have an 05 Explorer with 180k on it. Replaced the ORIGINAL muffler (regular steel, not stainless) at 130k! Rest of the pipes are still fine!

Where do you get your info, (logic) from? CO is odorless! Sounds more like incomplete combustion (engine), or a bad catalytic converters.
Even if that is the case, it doesn’t mean ANY exhaust or CO will leak into the car. Factory exhaust repairs? REALLY? What are they fixing? The stainless steel systems on all the newer vehicles are welded and last forever. I have an 05 Explorer with 180k on it. Replaced the ORIGINAL muffler (regular steel, not stainless) at 130k! Rest of the pipes are still fine!
Logic? Okay. I’ll explain it all out. Slowly. The rotten egg smell comes from an excess of unburnt fuel. Combustion, all of it, produces CO. If you can smell the unburnt fuel in the car, there are exhaust gasses in the cabin. Back to the fact that all combustion products CO, and you can smell excess unburnt fuel in the cabin ........ there WILL be CO in the cabin as well.

As for your snarky comments on the exhausts, there have been reports of CRACKED manifolds. A brand new, entirely unrusted manifold can crack. And, of course, Ford Has had manifolds crack and fail before.

........... Factory exhaust repairs? REALLY? What are they fixing? The stainless steel systems on all the newer vehicles are welded and last forever...........
I don't believe that any one has mentioned that the leaks are from the exhaust system itself. In some cases the exhaust tips are being changed to direct exhaust downward. I believe all the items Ford is addressing is contained in various posts/threads here.
And as Mbrooks420 mentioned, the fact that you have exhaust entering the cabin you will also have a certain amount of CO.

Peter

I think the exhaust issues are specific to the PIU’s.

I’m not talking about the smell, I’m talking about cracked manifolds. Was your manifold actually cracked?

The cracked manifolds were related to the 3.7 in the PIU so you are correct, not the 3.5s.

I’m not talking about the smell, I’m talking about cracked manifolds. Was your manifold actually cracked?

I didn't checked yet but i think the cracked manifold what causing this smell inside cabin issue.

The cracked manifolds haven’t been an issue with the 3.5s.

Go my letter from Ford a couple of days ago, Customer Satisfaction Program 17N03. Instructs me to contact my dealer for resolution.
TB

Got notice today. Leaving on a 3000 mile trip on Monday morning. Have only put 3k miles on this vehicle since purchase and NO extended highway trips. Will have 4 passengers, guess we will keep windows cracked a bit, and maybe have service when back. Can't tell the wife, she would freak and cancel the trip....this sucks.

Got mine today...

Got notice today. Leaving on a 3000 mile trip on Monday morning. Have only put 3k miles on this vehicle since purchase and NO extended highway trips. Will have 4 passengers, guess we will keep windows cracked a bit, and maybe have service when back. Can't tell the wife, she would freak and cancel the trip....this sucks.
It’s probably nothing to worry about. If you are concerned throw a CO meter in the car for piece of mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the letter for 2 voluntary checks up: Exhaust issue and front door panel separation. I took the Explorer to Ford Dealership 2 weeks ago and they checked it. Said no exhaust issue with my Explorer and fixed that door panel. I even asked them to check MyFord touch and they found wires loose and fixed that. Now I can use MyFord without any issues.

Back