Not about modification, but about shiny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not about modification, but about shiny

alawneh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 2010
Dear all. I saw a lot of 4gen pics here with perfect shiny paint and i am wondring how did you make the paint very shiny,i tried many materials to make my explorer in good miror shiny color like carnuba wax from magiuers and it was last for only weeks.
Any advice to make it more shiny is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for me brand never mattered but any paste wax and lots of micro fiber towels

Dear all. I saw a lot of 4gen pics here with perfect shiny paint and i am wondring how did you make the paint very shiny,i tried many materials to make my explorer in good miror shiny color like carnuba wax from magiuers and it was last for only weeks.
Any advice to make it more shiny is appreciated

You would need good paint and clear already, and then the trick is to polish the surface first, by machine. A home quality polisher can do it, but those vibrating devices that you can stop from spinning by hand don't work well.

You need to be able to polish the surface very smooth, which means removing all of the surface scratches. Once the scratches are all gone, then any nice waxes or polish products put on by hand will preserve the surface. That's when they can shine like a new paint job.

You would need good paint and clear already, and then the trick is to polish the surface first, by machine. A home quality polisher can do it, but those vibrating devices that you can stop from spinning by hand don't work well.

You need to be able to polish the surface very smooth, which means removing all of the surface scratches. Once the scratches are all gone, then any nice waxes or polish products put on by hand will preserve the surface. That's when they can shine like a new paint job.
Thanks for reply. It is already clear and good paint, but you know humans alwyes search for perfection. I understood from a lot of search on the web there are 3 types of polish: rubbing compound, polish, and wax. But i saw many brands and names that made me confused.

The word polish is misused, compound also. It's all about grit size, some people know polish as a fine grit product, some know polish as the final product that goes on over wax, and has no grit. That's a bad thing for a novice who isn't sure what to use, so always read the label carefully. Grit products usually mention a method of "working" the paint, and a simple top coat polish should only speak about a light rag or sponge application, no real machining or pressure.

The clear coat can be cloudy in appearance, from the top layer becoming "damaged" from the sun or rain chemicals. That's what most people are trying to remove, which is a manual step of machine or hard labor rubbing etc.

The word polish is misused, compound also. It's all about grit size, some people know polish as a fine grit product, some know polish as the final product that goes on over wax, and has no grit. That's a bad thing for a novice who isn't sure what to use, so always read the label carefully. Grit products usually mention a method of "working" the paint, and a simple top coat polish should only speak about a light rag or sponge application, no real machining or pressure.

The clear coat can be cloudy in appearance, from the top layer becoming "damaged" from the sun or rain chemicals. That's what most people are trying to remove, which is a manual step of machine or hard labor rubbing etc.
Thank you a million, understood.....

20170616_165619.jpg
This is my 2010 xlt, a month ago. I tried some carnuba wax

That looks good, I'm sure you can clean and polish that up to shine nicely.

That looks good, I'm sure you can clean and polish that up to shine nicely.
Thank you much for nice reply, that's why i am asking about this issue. I think its color is good.

you are 1 up on the game... you have a color that can be easily found in a touch up..... my rock chips are here forever
yes i think this color is easily restore the shine, but in fact i didn't get you, what do you mean by "my rock chips are here forever"?

yes i think this color is easily restore the shine, but in fact i didn't get you, what do you mean by "my rock chips are here forever"?
I have pueblo gold metallic and only way to get touch up paint is to go directly to a paint shop and have them mix it up and hope it matches after you pay $$$$ .... your silver is much more easy to obtain and way cheaper

I have pueblo gold metallic and only way to get touch up paint is to go directly to a paint shop and have them mix it up and hope it matches after you pay $$$$ .... your silver is much more easy to obtain and way cheaper
Aha, now i got it.i hope to you Best of luck my friend

Try Pep Boys for the touch up paint. They seem to carry the most choices from the couple of best brands, in about three sizes. The little brush in a bottle is what dealerships usually carry, but there are some small and large spray can sizes too. I've seen a little at most parts stores, but Pep Boys seems to have a large section of an isle for touch up paint.

Try Pep Boys for the touch up paint. They seem to carry the most choices from the couple of best brands, in about three sizes. The little brush in a bottle is what dealerships usually carry, but there are some small and large spray can sizes too. I've seen a little at most parts stores, but Pep Boys seems to have a large section of an isle for touch up paint.

negative nobody carries my paint code, pepboys is a 35 mile one way drive and I did try them.... even duplicolor discontinued it.... my only option is automotivetouchup.com and Im not shelling out $20 for a 12oz rattle can..... i would wrap the hood before painting

negative nobody carries my paint code, pepboys is a 35 mile one way drive and I did try them.... even duplicolor discontinued it.... my only option is automotivetouchup.com and Im not shelling out $20 for a 12oz rattle can..... i would wrap the hood before painting
Can you post a pic to see this challanging color

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back