complete XLT interior fitting. Is it Possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

complete XLT interior fitting. Is it Possible?

wigid

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 police explorer
So I have a 2016 PIU which is pretty much standard.
I do have access to a damaged 2016 explorer XLT with leather and would like to change the entire interior (seats, carpet, dash, console, radio, wiring, door cards, sifter etc).
My question is how hard would it be to get this to work. I understand the BCM would need to be programed, but what else would need to be done? Has anyone else attempted such a task?
I did read that someone changed the seats and the electrical connection was very different. But if the whole interior loom was replaced then wouldn't that fix this problem?
I am new to the ford explorer, but did do something similar to my old 2012 Caprice fitting a full Pontiac G8 interior.
any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m just beginning to take on this task and there is another member on here who will probably chime in. He is far more along and has accomplished a lot. I will tel you it’s possible. And I saw the same thing about harness being different. But this other guy says they are not different and he has done it.

So I have a 2016 PIU which is pretty much standard.
I do have access to a damaged 2016 explorer XLT with leather and would like to change the entire interior (seats, carpet, dash, console, radio, wiring, door cards, sifter etc).
My question is how hard would it be to get this to work. I understand the BCM would need to be programed, but what else would need to be done? Has anyone else attempted such a task?
I did read that someone changed the seats and the electrical connection was very different. But if the whole interior loom was replaced then wouldn't that fix this problem?
I am new to the ford explorer, but did do something similar to my old 2012 Caprice fitting a full Pontiac G8 interior.
any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
That is going to be one big project. Good luck and don't forget to take pictures.

P

I’m just beginning to take on this task and there is another member on here who will probably chime in. He is far more along and has accomplished a lot. I will tel you it’s possible. And I saw the same thing about harness being different. But this other guy says they are not different and he has done it.

I'm here to chime in! Lol. I'm not sure how different they are for a 2016. As for harness and plugs being the same. And it's not as simple of a task to just switch the harness. It's the entire vehicles body harness... ... As for a 13 to 15 . The plugs are the same. The drivers one Will plug right in. Only option that you need to wire separately will be the heated seats. Passenger was the same plug just had to add the power to the seat. I used one of the aux power from the 8 pin plug in the center console area (it is unused). And same for pass seat you will need to wire the heated seat separately. Rear seats will bolt right in. You will need the latch brackets for the 2nd and 3rd row seats. The piu 2nd row is bolted directly to the floor and cannot flip forward. .. there are 4 brackets for the 2nd row. And 2 brackets for the 3rd row. There are also 2 flip brackets for the 3rd row covers. It's actually not hard to do. Just time consuming. Carpet lays right in. You will also need the spare tire from the xlt the carpet that surrounds the spare and the cover for it. . Also grab the 3rd row seat belts more than likely yours doesn't have them in it. Any other questions you can pm me

Seats carpet console are easy. Dash and radio are a completely different story I spent about 3 months on 2 different vehicles first my wife's 2015 base and then about a month on my 2015 interceptor. With absolutely no luck whatsoever and I literally swapped the entire dash out harnesses and all.. I got the radio to function properly but none of the hvac would work . At all. I tried changing codes in the modules and bcm with still no luck. I eventually gave up on the radio and plan to sell my apim and screen and just buy the aftermarket android plug and play setup.

If you don't mind saying...what did you pay for the donor vehicle?

If you don't mind saying...what did you pay for the donor vehicle?
I gave $1300 for it i bought it from a shop. They used the doors already and the drivetrain. So I ended up with a complete shell with the interior. In tact. I used the cradle right upper and lower rail. Left quarter panel, Front end sheet metal and wheels for 1 car . Interior and misc items for my current one. Still have the bare shell and suspension left. I've been looking for one hit passenger rear quarter. Or roof. And I still have the left upper and lower frame rail

I'm here to chime in! Lol. I'm not sure how different they are for a 2016. As for harness and plugs being the same. And it's not as simple of a task to just switch the harness. It's the entire vehicles body harness... ... As for a 13 to 15 . The plugs are the same. The drivers one Will plug right in. Only option that you need to wire separately will be the heated seats. Passenger was the same plug just had to add the power to the seat. I used one of the aux power from the 8 pin plug in the center console area (it is unused). And same for pass seat you will need to wire the heated seat separately. Rear seats will bolt right in. You will need the latch brackets for the 2nd and 3rd row seats. The piu 2nd row is bolted directly to the floor and cannot flip forward. .. there are 4 brackets for the 2nd row. And 2 brackets for the 3rd row. There are also 2 flip brackets for the 3rd row covers. It's actually not hard to do. Just time consuming. Carpet lays right in. You will also need the spare tire from the xlt the carpet that surrounds the spare and the cover for it. . Also grab the 3rd row seat belts more than likely yours doesn't have them in it. Any other questions you can pm me
Hey.. how'sit going. I'm actually doing the same thing. with my 2014 PIU. can you tell me where I can find the brackets for the second row seats. And also, if you can help me with more details about powering up the passenger side seat.

Hey.. how'sit going. I'm actually doing the same thing. with my 2014 PIU. can you tell me where I can find the brackets for the second row seats. And also, if you can help me with more details about powering up the passenger side seat.
Best option is check junk yards. Where are you located. And you can either pm me or email me I can help you with wiring. It's actually really easy

I leave in Fayetteville, NC. none of the junk yards around here have anything newer than 2008

I leave in Fayetteville, NC. none of the junk yards around here have anything newer than 2008
Eastern automotive is about 45 miles from you they show a few explorers in stock. Call them and ask 1-919-934-4101 of you could call a bit south m&m auto wrecking is in Virginia and south carolina you can call them they will ship seats and brackets.. I buy whole front clips from them and they ship to me and I'm in North East ohio

What brackets are you looking for? I've gotried a lot of extra parts from doing this conversion also.
I also sent you a PM

He will need the second row bar brackets for the seats to latch when put in the down position there are 4.. 2 have 13mm bolts 2 have 15mm bolts.. And if he does a 3 Rd row he will need the 2 "Z" brackets that hold the seats down in the normal sitting position
What brackets are you looking for? I've gotried a lot of extra parts from doing this conversion also.
I also sent you a PM

I also sent you a PM
so, do you still have the brackets "KIKINZ24" is talking about??

Hi
I just installed a 2014 xlt seats in my 2013 piu but I culddnt get the front seats moving the power doesn’t work on both of them the driver seat has two plugs but their is only one plug come out of mine passenger side has only one can you please give me a wiring information to pier the seats

Seats carpet console are easy. Dash and radio are a completely different story I spent about 3 months on 2 different vehicles first my wife's 2015 base and then about a month on my 2015 interceptor. With absolutely no luck whatsoever and I literally swapped the entire dash out harnesses and all.. I got the radio to function properly but none of the hvac would work . At all. I tried changing codes in the modules and bcm with still no luck. I eventually gave up on the radio and plan to sell my apim and screen and just buy the aftermarket android plug and play setup.
I'm having a different issue. I got the 8" sony head unit out of an XLT and the HVAC works but the plug is different to the back of the screen? the one that plugs in to the 4" screen is a lot smaller with only a few pins..

I'm having a different issue. I got the 8" sony head unit out of an XLT and the HVAC works but the plug is different to the back of the screen? the one that plugs in to the 4" screen is a lot smaller with only a few pins..
Does your vehicle have sync?? If not the radio is most definitely not an easy swap. If it does you need to go on the f150 or fusion forums and look up 4"-8" mft. Swap there are about 8 pins that need moved around for it to work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

N
Does your vehicle have sync?? If not the radio is most definitely not an easy swap. If it does you need to go on the f150 or fusion forums and look up 4"-8" mft. Swap there are about 8 pins that need moved around for it to work
it doesn’t have sync as far as I’m aware. Looks like I’m stuck with this unit. Until I can get something aftermarket... while you’re here, do you have any clue why my xlt seat would have stopped working? I had it installed yesterday and it was working fine, then I removed it to put in sound damper and insulation and when I reinstalled, nothing. I checked all the cables from the seat and those are fine...

Back