V8 Timing Chains | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Timing Chains

JediKnight2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I know the V6 engines have issues especially when you have to deal with the timing chain at the rear of the engine. A 2002 V8 SOHC 4x4 popped up for sale with 115000 miles and from what I've read the V8s don't have a rear timing chain. Is that true? Just trying to decide if I should stick to a V8 to sidestep any potential timing chain issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4.6 only has 2 chains on front of the eng

Yeah get the V8.

The V8 still has plastic timing chain guides, and they will eventually crack. They can be replaced with the engine in the truck. I had to replace mine at 210,000 miles, a full day job for me, but not that hard to do.

The V8 still has plastic timing chain guides, and they will eventually crack. They can be replaced with the engine in the truck. I had to replace mine at 210,000 miles, a full day job for me, but not that hard to do.
@IPcamper
Still far more desirable situation that that posed by the V-6.

I have no argument with you on that! I have a 2003 Explorer with the V8 and a 2002 Mountaineer with the V8.

I have no argument with you on that! I have a 2003 Explorer with the V8 and a 2002 Mountaineer with the V8.
@IPcamper
I think you have not yet experienced drive by wire, believe it was '04 V-6 first year? Very smooth when working properly, great idle and transition to power, real headaches when it goes 'round the bend.

No, I have not had drive by wire in a 3rd gen explorer, but my wife has a 2011 Ford Fusion and it is drive by wire. So far it has been trouble free!

The 4.6l V8's have been good!, normal things like idler pulleys getting squeaky, belt and plugs wearing out. I had a water pump go out, an alternator fail, and the IAC needed replacing. The engine has been fine with the exception of the plastic timing chain guide, and that wasn't that hard to replace. Nothing like the headaches the 4.0l V6 has given people.

I know the V6 engines have issues especially when you have to deal with the timing chain at the rear of the engine. A 2002 V8 SOHC 4x4 popped up for sale with 115000 miles and from what I've read the V8s don't have a rear timing chain. Is that true? Just trying to decide if I should stick to a V8 to sidestep any potential timing chain issues.
Post the ad. How much are they asking?

How about the V8 4v in the Aviator...anything to look for? A few of those have come up for sale as well. Just waiting for the right vehicle at this point.

Back