Ordered My New 2018 Explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ordered My New 2018 Explorer

Just checked status of my 2018 Platinum and received the same error message from COTUS. It's likely a temporary glitch.
What did you pay compared to sticker, if you don't mind?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok... it looks like I can get it for USD53900 (MSRP 56890) less rebates. I think that's a good deal. Not the 51k I wanted but...

My 2018 Explorer arrived at the dealership yesterday and is being prepped for delivery. Hopefully, I'll have it before Christmas. Here's a summary that shows how slowly things can happen:

Ordered on: 8/10/2017
VIN assigned: 9/15/2017
In production: 11/8/2017
Window sticker: 11/9/2017
Assembled: 11/16/2017
In transit: 12/13/2017
At dealership: 12/20/2017

My wife and I visited the dealership today for a first look at the Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat color, but our Explorer was so filthy from its time spent outdoors in Chicago and the train ride to Ayer, Massachusetts, we really couldn't appreciate the paint. Too much dirt!

One thing I noticed was the new antenna on the roof. Instead the small shark-fin stub on my 2016 Explorer, the new 2018 has a rather long whip protruding from a small shark-fin base. I suspect this new antenna is necessary to support the in-vehicle 4G LTE WI-Fi hotspot powered by AT&T.

I don't think I'd call it slow. In fact it about right on target since actual production of the 2018 didn't begin until October 23rd. As for the antenna, all the photos I've seen on the Internet still showed the 'Shark Fin' antenna. There was one posted in this Forum with the 'pigtail' that the pre 2016 Explorers had.

Peter

I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 9. I got to choose the vehicle and my wife selected the color. This time, it's going to be the new Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat -- the longest paint-color name I've ever seen.

If Ford's current scheduling and production schedule is accurate, I predict delivery in mid-November.

Was wondering if they made the delivery date. My new Sport from order to estimated delivery is one day over 3 months UGH. Guess I really didn't expect that long of a time frame. Thanks in advance

Was wondering if they made the delivery date. My new Sport from order to estimated delivery is one day over 3 months UGH. Guess I really didn't expect that long of a time frame. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
When did you order? Production didn't start until October 23rd.

Peter

Sadly, my 2018 Explorer Platinum still has not been delivered to me. But I see light at the end of the tunnel.

After my wife and I visited the dealership to see the new Explorer for the first time on December 21, I received a call from the dealership's general manager. He said they discovered a troublesome warning light on the instrument panel, and they needed time to diagnose and remedy the problem before they could release the vehicle to me. In fact, he admitted they didn't know if what they were seeing was normal behavior or an abnormality.

Over the next several days, I received regular updates from the dealer (this is a good thing). First, they thought it was a bad ABS sensor. Then they talked with Ford Engineering in Dearborn and decided to replace the ABS control module. Then Ford Engineering wanted my dealership's techs to compare my Explorer's warning-light behavior with another 2018 Platinum because the Platinum models have a unique instrument panel and even the Ford engineers weren't sure if the behavior of my warning light was normal or abnormal.

Yesterday, my dealership's business manager called to let me know the warning-light problem was resolved by the new ABS control module, and they verified operation by comparing my 2018 Explorer Platinum with a similar 2018 Platinum at another dealership. With the holiday happening this weekend, we decided it would be best to schedule delivery for next Tuesday, January 2.

If that happens, my timeline looks like this:

Ordered on: 8/10/2017
VIN assigned: 9/15/2017
In production: 11/8/2017
Window sticker: 11/9/2017
Assembled: 11/16/2017
In transit: 12/13/2017
At dealership: 12/20/2017
Delivered to me: 01/02/2018

I have to wonder if my Explorer was being held for repair at the assembly plant in Chicago, then someone decided to just ship it to the selling dealership to have its factory defect corrected. I'll probably never know.

I hope you have better luck with delivery of your 2018 Explorer Sport!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
When did you order? Production didn't start until October 23rd.

Peter

Thanks peterk9. Cotus tracking has order date 11/06/17 and was processed 12/1/17. It's currently in production but has been for some time.

Thanks peterk9. Cotus tracking has order date 11/06/17 and was processed 12/1/17. It's currently in production but has been for some time.
Once orders start coming in it isn't unusual to see an 8-10 week delivery date. Also the factory closes down for a period of time for the holidays. I ordered my 2011 on December 17, 2010 and it was delivered March 14, 2011.

Peter

The truck is ordered!

Waiting for info from the dealer.

Turns out all my dealers were liars: they quoted prices after factory rebates. In my case, it was a difference of $500. I said WTH...and pulled the trigger as my time and effort was making me nuts. Got 2.9% financing offer from Ford. Still deciding whether to lease or buy. I guess I have 8-12 weeks to decide.

I'm pleased with the deal I'm getting for my 2018 Platinum. Here are the details:

BJs Wholesale Club offers its members Ford X-Plan pricing, so my price before incentives will be $52,987.67 vs MSRP of $55,330.

In addition to the X-Plan price, I scored a total of $2,500 of year-end incentives:

- $1,000 BJ's incentive ($500 instant cash back + $500 BJs shopping credit)
- $750 Ford retail bonus cash
- $250 Ford retail customer cash
- $500 Ford credit cash back*

The dealer has agreed to a $34,000 trade-in value for my 2016 Explorer Platinum, so with incentives my out-the-door cost will be $16,487.67.

Happy New Year!

* I'm able to pay off the Ford Credit loan immediately, so the only reason I financed through Ford is to qualify for the extra $500 cash back.

The truck is ordered!

Waiting for info from the dealer.

Turns out all my dealers were liars: they quoted prices after factory rebates. In my case, it was a difference of $500. I said WTH...and pulled the trigger as my time and effort was making me nuts. Got 2.9% financing offer from Ford. Still deciding whether to lease or buy. I guess I have 8-12 weeks to decide.
What is the posted lease rate? You can reduce the posted rate by up to 1.5% by using multiple refundable security deposits. The deposits are based on your monthly cost. At the end of the lease you get that back. No interest is paid on it. I have used that method several times when the interest rate was on the high side.
The Ford finance rate here is 2.49% for terms from 36 to 60 months. Jumps to 3.49 for 70 months. The lease is also 2.49% for 36 months and 3.49% for 48 months.
Happy New Year Mike! :party:

Peter

Peter:

I can get 2.9% for 72 months and 1.25% for lease money.

My thinking on leasing:
I'm 62 years old and I don't know if I will want to drive this vehicle at 65+ years old. Even if I want to continue driving an Explorer, I know there will be major changes in 2-3 years. It will always be under warranty. Less money out of pocket.

On buying:
building equity

In writing this, it seems like leasing is more appealing.

Looks like I've been around 9 more years than you.:) My current 2017 is my 7th straight lease and is up in 2020 in time to have a look at the redesigned Explorer. The next vehicle will also be a lease. With a lease you could also find that it is worth more at lease end than the residual value in the contract. It doesn't happen that often but does at times so you could benefit from that if it happens.

Peter

Almost five months elapsed between placing the order and taking delivery, but my 2018 Explorer Platinum is in my driveway!

This is the new "Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat" color:

2018 Explorer.jpg

Almost five months elapsed between placing the order and taking delivery, but my 2018 Explorer Platinum is in my driveway!

Love the colour. Now let's get the update done in the profile.;)

Peter

I love the color too.
That's why I'm getting it as well.
What is the interior, mine is the ceramic

View attachment 153569

Beautiful.

I guess I am about 10 weeks away from mine. Same color

My Explorer's interior is ceramic. Goes nicely with the Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat exterior.

Looks like this is going to be a popular color combo for 2018.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer's interior is ceramic. Goes nicely with the Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat exterior.

Looks like this is going to be a popular color combo for 2018.

I did it the same way.

I got the machined wheels too, with running boards (wife is just over 5' tall and asked for the assist) and splash guards. I added the buckets and 2nd row console.

I would have liked to order a tan interior to go with this color. Here in Florida, black would get too hot in the summer and I am worried that the white seats might get a bit dingy over time. Seat covers would make the cooled seats useless.

Back