2019 explorer, thoughts, hopes?

ttime500

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer Sport
Hey guys, I heard from a source that the 2019 explorer is going to debut at Detroit in 10 days. I also heard they are going back to RWD! What are your guys thoughts and hopes for the next generation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been posts here that the redesigned Explorer will come out in 2019 as a 2020 year model. RWD was also rumoured but never confirmed.

Peter

There have been posts here that the redesigned Explorer will come out in 2019 as a 2020 year model. RWD was also rumoured but never confirmed.

Peter

I couldn’t find if there was any previous threads. But I know I had heard that before. Like I said this is just according to my source that says Detroit next week. He also said there’ll be a hybrid variant.

There is a thread (single post ) on the latter. Explorer Energi 2020?
It is possible that the actual 2019 may be a short production run with the 2020 being built in the latter part of 2020. I believe they did that with the 2013.

Peter

There is a thread (single post ) on the latter. Explorer Energi 2020?
It is possible that the actual 2019 may be a short production run with the 2020 being built in the latter part of 2020. I believe they did that with the 2013.

Peter

So they would be debuting the 2020 explorer? Then short 2019 production and early start on 2020

So they would be debuting the 2020 explorer? Then short 2019 production and early start on 2020
They could be but I'd doubt that. Would not do much for 2019 sales if they went that route. Guess we'll have to wait.

I guess we’ll see how accurate my source is!! I am really hoping for a ford performance trim level above the sport. Like using the raptor engine and A10.

Will it based on the new Bronco and Ranger platform hence the shift to RWD based platform?

Will it based on the new Bronco and Ranger platform hence the shift to RWD based platform?

Don’t know, but according to the source the ranger is also debuting at Detroit.

This is the 2019 US Ranger courtesy of jalopnik.

z8zg1big0zwztxvqbmzk.jpg

And I don't believe there will be anything debuting this year for an Explorer. The whole CD6 platform is still a mystery at this moment.

Yeah we would've seen spy shots long before now if it were being formally introduced in a couple of weeks. Heck, here are spy shots of a seemingly almost-ready-for-production 3-row Jeep that no one knows for sure what model it is or even what market it's for.

Jeep Yuntu three-row crossover spied testing on public roads

They could be but I'd doubt that. Would not do much for 2019 sales if they went that route. Guess we'll have to wait.

Not sure what you mean here. Who cares what sales of actual 2019 MY cars are. All that matters is total vehicles out the door each month and the faster they can get a redesigned (and more competitive) vehicle out to the lots the better for sales. Still amazes me that a 7-year-old design is still the best selling vehicle in the class, until I remember that they're also the most heavily discounted. Imagine what sales will explode to the minute they release a brand new, head-of-the-class redesign.

Yeah we would've seen spy shots long before now if it were being formally introduced in a couple of weeks. Heck, here are spy shots of a seemingly almost-ready-for-production 3-row Jeep that no one knows for sure what model it is or even what market it's for.

Jeep Yuntu three-row crossover spied testing on public roads

Not sure what you mean here. Who cares what sales of actual 2019 MY cars are. All that matters is total vehicles out the door each month and the faster they can get a redesigned (and more competitive) vehicle out to the lots the better for sales. Still amazes me that a 7-year-old design is still the best selling vehicle in the class, until I remember that they're also the most heavily discounted. Imagine what sales will explode to the minute they release a brand new, head-of-the-class redesign.

Ford has been pretty good about keeping future products under wraps, gt500 is due soon and seen nothing. Also it has been spied a few times over the last year. Last in Colorado doing high altitude testing.

Is this a new Ford Explorer spied testing in Colorado?

......Not sure what you mean here. Who cares what sales of actual 2019 MY cars are. All that matters is total vehicles out the door each month and the faster they can get a redesigned (and more competitive) vehicle out to the lots the better for sales. Still amazes me that a 7-year-old design is still the best selling vehicle in the class, until I remember that they're also the most heavily discounted. Imagine what sales will explode to the minute they release a brand new, head-of-the-class redesign.
By debuting a possibly more desirable vehicle too early, people thinking of getting a 2019 model may just hang onto their current vehicle instead of buying a 2019 in favour of waiting and getting a 2020 model instead. Ford would definitely care about that.

Peter

By debuting a possibly more desirable vehicle too early, people thinking of getting a 2019 model may just hang onto their current vehicle instead of buying a 2019 in favour of waiting and getting a 2020 model instead. Ford would definitely care about that.

Peter

Couldn’t you make the argument though that some who know it’s coming aren’t going to buy anyway and 2019s are being sold at huge discount. If they accept low sales for 2019 but come big for 2020 they can sell the next gen at MSRP and have much larger profit margins.

Couldn’t you make the argument though that some who know it’s coming aren’t going to buy anyway and 2019s are being sold at huge discount. If they accept low sales for 2019 but come big for 2020 they can sell the next gen at MSRP and have much larger profit margins.
One reason to expect that the 2019 may be a 'short' model year.

By debuting a possibly more desirable vehicle too early, people thinking of getting a 2019 model may just hang onto their current vehicle instead of buying a 2019 in favour of waiting and getting a 2020 model instead. Ford would definitely care about that.Peter

That happens with every vehicle, cannot be avoided regardless how short a model year is. I agree with ttime below; best to get the new model out as soon as possible to grab sales that otherwise would've bone to the newest competitors AND decrease cash on the hood. Like the 3rd generation 2012 Focus that went on sale in March 2011.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ All valid points but how many people outside of this forum realize that a redesigned Explorer is in the works?

Peter

Back