Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Looks like my thread was merged into this one. I'm looking for something a bit different, since OP was looking for OEM. Does anyone have ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like my thread was merged into this one. I'm looking for something a bit different, since OP was looking for OEM. Does anyone have ideas?

I've got a Gamber Johnson mission control center console I've been putting off installing for about, 3 years now? They arent cheap, but you can add a lock box, cup holders and armrest to it. Or if you dont have rear AC, there's a rear lock box available as well.

Hello everyone. I'm about to buy a 2016 PIU with no center console, just the plate. If I wanted to install an OEM console from a 2014 Limited in the 2016 PIU would I need any additional parts, say for the lower part of the instrument panel or the bottom part with vents on either side? Would the console fit on the stock IU plate? Could the rear AC controls be made to work easily? Any help would be much appreciated.

Here are pictures of the console pulled from the 2014 LTD for reference..also wondering if any of that wiring looks damaged or needs to be replaced?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm about to buy a 2016 PIU with no center console, just the plate. If I wanted to install an OEM console from a 2014 Limited in the 2016 PIU would I need any additional parts, say for the lower part of the instrument panel or the bottom part with vents on either side? Would the console fit on the stock IU plate? Could the rear AC controls be made to work easily? Any help would be much appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not familiar with the HVAC system and how it hooks up into the console. I suspect that some modification will be required to make it work.

Peter

I believe you can only hook up the rear HVAC controls if you already have the rear HVAC option (you will know if you have it because you will have the rear controls in the dash below the main HVAC controls). There is a PIU specific top panel with no shifter and a PIU specific rear panel with no HVAC controls. They are not super easy to find used and are pretty pricey if you buy them new.

I got a PIU specific center console and when I installed it, I removed the partial console and trim that the vehicle came with, I replaced the input panel with the input panel from my truck - it's just plug and play. The long trim panels on the side of the console just pop off and need to be removed before you install the new console into the vehicle.

If you have the big metal plate between your front seats, you will need to remove that. You may need one bracket to bolt the console to the floor. It's the one that goes in front of the RCM. I believe there is another bracket that goes under the dash, but I did not get that. I ended up with 2 screws holding the center console to the dash and 4 screws holding it to the floor. I sourced my mounting screws from the local hardware store for a few dollars.

I had to extend the wiring for my rear power port (mine is under the armrest panel, not in the back panel.

The center console and the side trim can be installed without removing the front seats, but it is a bit easier if you remove the front seats.

Just an FYI - I believe 2016 changed from the grey/silver trim to the satin black trim, so your 2014 center console won't be an exact match in a 2016+.

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll post the outcome when I'm done in a few weeks.

I bought a aftermarket jeep console and bolted it to the factory plate, material even matches the seats.

I bought a aftermarket jeep console and bolted it to the factory plate, material even matches the seats.
Welcome to the Forum dalton.:wave:
You know members are going to want to see pictures.:)

Peter

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll post the outcome when I'm done in a few weeks.
Did you get the console installed? I just got a 2015 console for my 2013 PIU and put it in today. There are a lot of connectors under the stereo that don't match the console's harness and I'm not sure what they do. I did get two cigarette lighters connected, and since the console has an auxiliary jack I'd like to hook that up too.

20171113_152220.jpg

I'm currently installing a center console and floor shift in my 15 piu. I removed the column shifter . Curious if I need to move all the wires that plugged into the column to the floor shift. I tried matching up wire colors for them and they are not the same in the console as they are at the column. There were 2 plugs. 1 plugged into the column shifter itself has a black green white with brown and looks to be a blue with brown.. And then under the column was a 2 pin plug with a brown and yellow wire as for the rear hvac i have a spare harness and just going to ohm the wires at the plug to see where they go exactly.

Hey all, I recently was in search of a console for my 2013 PIU when I was FORTUNATE to acquire three from a local vendor! I have a quick question; My PIU does not have a black metal floor plate between the seats, is this actually required for mounting the OEM console?
Thanks in advance!

On my Gamber Johnson console, you have to remove the black metal floor plate prior to install.

Hey all, I recently was in search of a console for my 2013 PIU when I was FORTUNATE to acquire three from a local vendor! I have a quick question; My PIU does not have a black metal floor plate between the seats, is this actually required for mounting the OEM console? I listed the other two for sale on ebay if anyone is interested;

2013-2017 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor CENTER CONSOLE w/ SIDE WALL PANELS | eBay

Thanks in advance!
The large metal plate is not neeeded. You will need the two small u shaped mounting plates that mount to the floor (one rear and one middle). I believe there is a mounting bracket under the dash also, but I did not source one for my install.

The ones you have will fit 13-17, but the color of the trim is specific to 16-17 models.

Hey all, I recently was in search of a console for my 2013 PIU when I was FORTUNATE to acquire three from a local vendor! I have a quick question; My PIU does not have a black metal floor plate between the seats, is this actually required for mounting the OEM console?

Thanks in advance!
I see that one sold, do you have any more?

The large metal plate is not neeeded. You will need the two small u shaped mounting plates that mount to the floor (one rear and one middle). I believe there is a mounting bracket under the dash also, but I did not source one for my install.

The ones you have will fit 13-17, but the color of the trim is specific to 16-17 models.

Awesome thanks! saves me some money

Awesome thanks! saves me some money

Unfortunately, I only had two available... If I come across more I will post here instead of ebay (damn thieves! ahha)
No problem. I saw that one on ebay yesterday and I should have bought it then

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also had my eye on them :(

If I come across more, I'll definitely post here before ebay. Fees are ridiculously high (it's been a while since I've sold on there) and shipping was more than I anticipated.

Back