Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

I just got a another confirmation from Manuel Garcia

He tried it on another Explorer 2016 and it worked !

So until now confirmed worked for:

my Explorer 2015

Manuel Explorer 2014

and another 2016 explorer

You guys need to take my thoughts more seriously, i'm actually disappointed that i got some doubts in this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd try this, but I don't have any smell regardless of how I drive or HVAC settings.
If I had the exhaust smell issue, I'd definitely try this before bringing to the dealer, but fortunately, I don't get the smell.

Also, Manuel essentially sealed his inlet to the vehicle with tape. If you fully seal the inlet, it's possible that there is little air exchange going on in the cabin(no air in -> no air out). So, he might not be sealing the exhaust entrance, but he might be preventing the exhaust from entering somewhere else(if that makes sense).

Now, assuming this sealing proves to be a solution, the question still remains, how is the exhaust getting to the inlet? There has to be an exhaust leak somewhere if the exhaust is entering through the inlet at the base of the windshield. It would lead to more likely that it's a crack or joint leak.

I just got a another confirmation from Manuel Garcia

He tried it on another Explorer 2016 and it worked !

So until now confirmed worked for:

my Explorer 2015

Manuel Explorer 2014

and another 2016 explorer

You guys need to take my thoughts more seriously, i'm actually disappointed that i got some doubts in this thread.

I believe your theory and results, I just don't believe that the defect you've discovered is the only/exclusive one that leads to the problem at hand.

I have brand new 2017 XLT with 3.5. Less than 1000 miles. I definitely notice the smell. But notice it more OUTSIDE vehicle! I remote start it and then when walking out to it I notice smell as approach from front walking to driver door. Also noticed it when stopped at redlight. I had read this so instead of taping, I just put HVAC on recirculation. Haven't noticed smell when on recirculation. The smell doesn't smell like typical exhaust to me. Smells more like something burning-like when you burn hair. Regardless, there has to be a leak in exhaust system. You should not have exhaust smell around vehicle like that-if it is coming from exhaust. Too cold but I would like to put it up on ramps and looks at it from underneath. Can you see manifolds from below? Would like to look for and leaks. put some kind of CO sniffer there and see if get reading. But the kind of tester I want is too expensive. Even if the Ford seal fix works, doesn't seem like true fix, just masking the problem of a leak. If accelerating, all the exhaust (coming out tailpipes) would be behind you. How is that going to enter cabin unless you have a leak somewhere!

I'd try this, but I don't have any smell regardless of how I drive or HVAC settings.
If I had the exhaust smell issue, I'd definitely try this before bringing to the dealer, but fortunately, I don't get the smell.

Also, Manuel essentially sealed his inlet to the vehicle with tape. If you fully seal the inlet, it's possible that there is little air exchange going on in the cabin(no air in -> no air out). So, he might not be sealing the exhaust entrance, but he might be preventing the exhaust from entering somewhere else(if that makes sense).

Now, assuming this sealing proves to be a solution, the question still remains, how is the exhaust getting to the inlet? There has to be an exhaust leak somewhere if the exhaust is entering through the inlet at the base of the windshield. It would lead to more likely that it's a crack or joint leak.

This is what i'm assuming, there is a exhaust leak from the exhaust system and it could be a cracked manifold same that have been reported in PIUs, but someone told be this cracked manifolds only for the 3.7s not 3.5. but i don't think so.

so it could be crack in manifold or gasket. i didn't get a time to check the manifolds, i use seafoam to smoke the exhaust and check if there is any leak.

I believe your theory and results, I just don't believe that the defect you've discovered is the only/exclusive one that leads to the problem at hand.

well it's combination of two problems, i still didn't confirm where the leak comes from.

my idea to discover the leak is using seafoam to smoke the exhaust and check underneath the vehicle.

I have brand new 2017 XLT with 3.5. Less than 1000 miles. I definitely notice the smell. But notice it more OUTSIDE vehicle! I remote start it and then when walking out to it I notice smell as approach from front walking to driver door. Also noticed it when stopped at redlight. I had read this so instead of taping, I just put HVAC on recirculation. Haven't noticed smell when on recirculation. The smell doesn't smell like typical exhaust to me. Smells more like something burning-like when you burn hair. Regardless, there has to be a leak in exhaust system. You should not have exhaust smell around vehicle like that-if it is coming from exhaust. Too cold but I would like to put it up on ramps and looks at it from underneath. Can you see manifolds from below? Would like to look for and leaks. put some kind of CO sniffer there and see if get reading. But the kind of tester I want is too expensive. Even if the Ford seal fix works, doesn't seem like true fix, just masking the problem of a leak. If accelerating, all the exhaust (coming out tailpipes) would be behind you. How is that going to enter cabin unless you have a leak somewhere!

Why don't you give it a try and cover you fresh air intake with duct tape and accelerate ? btw you point : But notice it more OUTSIDE vehicle! I remote start it and then when walking out to it I notice smell as approach from front walking to driver door

this what makes me believe the exhaust issue is not from the back of the car. i can smell it when i approach the front tiers.

i have an idea to find the leak i will do it soon, using seafoam to smoke the exhaust.

Why don't you give it a try and cover you fresh air intake with duct tape and accelerate ? btw you point : But notice it more OUTSIDE vehicle! I remote start it and then when walking out to it I notice smell as approach from front walking to driver door

this what makes me believe the exhaust issue is not from the back of the car. i can smell it when i approach the front tiers.

i have an idea to find the leak i will do it soon, using seafoam to smoke the exhaust.
Black Eyed: keep up the good work on helping to troubleshoot this problem. The exhaust manifolds on my Explorer has a shield covering the front manifold from the top side. I tried to use my inspection camera to look between the shield/cover and the manifold but could not get the camera to focus well enough. I have been holding off on more testing; as my Explorer does not fail as much in the cold weather. Have had the high 30-40 mph wind plus wind chill in the -20s degree F range lately.

Black Eyed: keep up the good work on helping to troubleshoot this problem. The exhaust manifolds on my Explorer has a shield covering the front manifold from the top side. I tried to use my inspection camera to look between the shield/cover and the manifold but could not get the camera to focus well enough. I have been holding off on more testing; as my Explorer does not fail as much in the cold weather. Have had the high 30-40 mph wind plus wind chill in the -20s degree F range lately.

Thank you for your appreciation, I don't think using inspection camera would help, cracks need to be seen with bare eyes, i think using seafoam to smoke the exhaust will get a result, plus cleans the engine.

A good inspection camera would show a crack you could see with the naked eye. I’d think if you had an exhaust leak large enough to saturate the engine compartment with smell you’d hear it leaking.

I think you are also taking it too hard that everyone isn’t jumping with praise over your theory. I do not buy this theory that this is where he exhaust smell is coming from in all of the Explorers, or even the vast majority of them.

it seems i'm not the only one who think about this theory.

and ford still looking for a solution in the back of the vehicle and program the HVAC to open at hard acceleration which actually they are making it worst !

i don’t think cracked or leaking manifolds are the sole cause of this issue. Otherwise, sealing the hatch wouldn’t solve the smell for the majority of people having it done.

I think before you can call anything ‘confirmed’ you need to actually VERIFY you have a cracked or leaking manifold.

i don’t think cracked or leaking manifolds are the sole cause of this issue. Otherwise, sealing the hatch wouldn’t solve the smell for the majority of people having it done.

I think before you can call anything ‘confirmed’ you need to actually VERIFY you have a cracked or leaking manifold.

I already confirmed that sealing the hood rubber and covering the fresh air intake stops the issue and the smell has disappeared on THREE different Explorers and as I said before wich confimes there is exsaust leak in the engine cabin i will find the exhaust leak in the engine cabin by using seafoam and sealing the hatch didn’t work for many people including me.

Please stop doubt my idea and let this topic helps members who faceing this issue i’m only trying to help. If you don’t believe it this is your opinion. If you have an Explorer wich facing this issue then you can try the tips that I mentioned. If you don’t have, then this thread not for you. With all do respect.

I can confirm I have the same issue. I guess Ford does not want to pay for cracked manifolds though.

I can confirm I have the same issue. I guess Ford does not want to pay for cracked manifolds though.

is there a exhaust smell inside cabin while acceleration ?

try my tips in the thread and check again.

is there a exhaust smell inside cabin while acceleration ?

try my tips in the thread and check again.

Yes. Using recirculation after the back was sealed helps a lot but the damn recirculation keeps turning off. The vent definitely pulls a lot of crap from the front and when I sealed it, it was a lot better.

I already confirmed that sealing the hood rubber and covering the fresh air intake stops the issue and the smell has disappeared on THREE different Explorers and as I said before wich confimes there is exsaust leak in the engine cabin i will find the exhaust leak in the engine cabin by using seafoam and sealing the hatch didn’t work for many people including me.

Please stop doubt my idea and let this topic helps members who faceing this issue i’m only trying to help. If you don’t believe it this is your opinion. If you have an Explorer wich facing this issue then you can try the tips that I mentioned. If you don’t have, then this thread not for you. With all do respect.
If the issue was ONLY leaking manifolds sealing up the hatch wouldn’t fix the problem for anyone, which it has appeared to do. You have a theory. Before getting all offended that someone doubts it, maybe you should actually confirm you DO have a cracked manifold. If you are certain you have cracked manifolds why not pull them?

Yes. Using recirculation after the back was sealed helps a lot but the damn recirculation keeps turning off. The vent definitely pulls a lot of crap from the front and when I sealed it, it was a lot better.

You sealed the engine hood rubber and now it’s a lot better? Or what did you sealed exactly?

If the issue was ONLY leaking manifolds sealing up the hatch wouldn’t fix the problem for anyone, which it has appeared to do. You have a theory. Before getting all offended that someone doubts it, maybe you should actually confirm you DO have a cracked manifold. If you are certain you have cracked manifolds why not pull them?

I will lift the vehicle when i have a free time and i will update the thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am sure that members appreciate the work you have done and are still doing. What you have proven is that there is an air leak from the engine compartment into the cabin. You have, however, not proven the exhaust is originating from a leak in the engine compartment. You yourself said you are still working on that. So at this point the actual source is 'unknown'.
Also, when you post in a public/open forum, you are leaving yourself open to comments from any forum members, whether or not they agree with you or your findings. That is the way it works. You really can not just restrict posts/opinions to those that agree with you.
I, for one, am a skeptic about the leak being in the engine and therefore would be very interested in what you find out in your continued work to find the actual source of the exhaust. Good luck.

Peter

Back