HELP !! 1990 Ranger 2.9 Wont Shift Into Overdrive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP !! 1990 Ranger 2.9 Wont Shift Into Overdrive

SCOTTY1

Reaction score
City, State
KNOX, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger XLT
Hello,
The other day I noticed my "CHECK ENGINE" light came on as soon as I noticed it wouldn't shift into overdrive. The other gears shift fine, just no OD. I also noticed @ cold starts it acts normal for just a second & then dies unless I tap the gas until it warms up. It also dies @ idle sometimes when warmed up after driving it.
Modulator valve ? Can anyone please help & is anyone familiar with this problem ?

Thanks !!

Hello,
The other day I noticed my "CHECK ENGINE" light came on as soon as I noticed it wouldn't shift into overdrive. The other gears shift fine, just no OD. I also noticed @ cold starts it acts normal for just a second & then dies unless I tap the gas until it warms up. It also dies @ idle sometimes when warmed up after driving it.
Modulator valve ? Can anyone please help & is anyone familiar with this problem ?

Thanks !!
I doubt if this is your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway - couple of months ago I had trouble with my OD not engaging, and it turned out that the wire that runs through the steering column and connects to the OD button on the shifter stalk had the insulation worn through and was grounding out on the steering column.

I doubt if this is your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway - couple of months ago I had trouble with my OD not engaging, and it turned out that the wire that runs through the steering column and connects to the OD button on the shifter stalk had the insulation worn through and was grounding out on the steering column.

Thanks for trying to help. Your case is interesting but I dont have an OD button on mine.

Have you checked the codes? How's the fluid level in the trans?

Back