Front fog lights or running lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front fog lights or running lights?

Hux

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998, Explorer
My car has what appear to fog lights in the lower part of the front bumper, they are smallish rectangular lights. However, I can't find any way to turn them on and they aren't mentioned in the owner's manual, any ideas? Are they running lights perhaps? Either way they don't do anything!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 98 XLT.

Passenger side of the dash board.

Last button to the bottom near the A\C controls.

Looks like a light switch with the beam facing down.

You can call them fog, driving or running lights. I use mine as running lights. Their point is they are aimed low. Unless someone installed a different front bumper on a vehicle that never had the lights the switch should be the button to the right of the radio (under the rear defogger button, if so equipped). Note - the lights do not work when the high beams are on.

There is a modification posted that I have seen where you can change that if you want.

Thanks, I don't have that button so I guess it's had a different bumper fitted.

What year?

What trim line?

May have been after market by previous owner.

Factory looks like this.

DSCN1339.JPG

DSCN1340.JPG

Thread moved to UK owners sub forum.

Please update your information with location. European models are different, most US members have no information on these.

@Turdle ,

Sorry,

Speed reading again....

UGH

That's exactly what mine looks like, I do have that button but it only operates the rear fog light.

Rear?

European?

Never heard of that.

Never too old to learn.

As per Howards post. In the UK they are classed as Aux Driving Lamps and operate via a relay controlled by the High Beam switch. Which is a bit pointless in this country. You could keep the relay and alter the wiring to use them as fog lamps operated by the existing fog lamp switch or a separate switch

Understood.

Actually there are quite a few threads in this forum about wiring modifications to keep them on regardless of high beam "On or Off".

Back